Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bphelminski
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Off-Contract Buyers

I know VZW hasn't officially released the price of the phone off-contract, but if it's going to be $800 off-contract, doesn't it make sense to open a new line, and cancel your current one? $300+350=$650+tax and stuff... < $800.

Just wondering what some of the more saavy folks are doing/going to do, and can you keep your current number?

TIA

Default Re: Off-Contract Buyers

Quote Originally Posted by caseydietz View Post
    I know VZW hasn't officially released the price of the phone off-contract, but if it's going to be $800 off-contract, doesn't it make sense to open a new line, and cancel your current one? $300+350=$650+tax and stuff... < $800.

Just wondering what some of the more saavy folks are doing/going to do, and can you keep your current number?

TIA
    That's the Radio Shack off contract price, which is probably inflated. Remember, retailers like them and Best Buy make their money on contract. Not the phone sale. Verizon makes their money off of the contract too, but they also make money by selling you a phone and keeping you as a customer off contract.

Verizon's off contract price will likely be $649. That's what the RAZR, Rezound, and others go for, so it would seem to make sense.

As for opening another line, absolutely not. Everyone I know has my number, so I'm not changing. Also, if you open a line and cancel your old one that is under contract, don't you pay an ETF? So it won't actually make financial sense to do that.
    Premium1 likes this.

ROM

Here's a question, for those buying off-contract: What other carriers use the CDMA radio that VZW uses?

If you buy it off-contract, to avoid a two-year commitment, and decide to bolt VZW in 6 months, where else can you use the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown Jesus View Post
    Verizon's off contract price will likely be $649. That's what the RAZR, Rezound, and others go for, so it would seem to make sense.

As for opening another line, absolutely not. Everyone I know has my number, so I'm not changing. Also, if you open a line and cancel your old one that is under contract, don't you pay an ETF? So it won't actually make financial sense to do that.
    If VZW really sold this phone for over $649 I would open a new line at the cheapest plan, put my current phone on that new line, activate the Nexus on my current line and cancel the new line as soon as I could. That would give me the $650 price for the GN ($300 new phone cost + $350 ETF). You keep your same number, grandfathered data if you have it, and you just carry on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeUserTX View Post
    Here's a question, for those buying off-contract: What other carriers use the CDMA radio that VZW uses?

If you buy it off-contract, to avoid a two-year commitment, and decide to bolt VZW in 6 months, where else can you use the phone?
    No other carriers will work, but if you are someone that wants to buy off contract (you want this phone but can't get and early upgrade) you don't have any option.

If you add another line you can put the Nexus on your old line as long as you have a dumb phone to put on the new line. It's a hassle with the sim cards but it can be done.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
    No other carriers will work, but if you are someone that wants to buy off contract (you want this phone but can't get and early upgrade) you don't have any option.
    Ah, gotcha. Forgot about the upgrade (gotta get another cup o' coffee...). Thanks.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Do not break your contract; you will lose unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by tjlandberg View Post
    If you add another line you can put the Nexus on your old line as long as you have a dumb phone to put on the new line. It's a hassle with the sim cards but it can be done.
    Only if you have a family plan now, if you have a single line then it doesn't make any sense to "add a line". That would require you to go to a family share plan from your single line. You would need get a 2nd single line of coverage.

Radio shack and best buy always charge more off contract than verizon does. it will be $649 like the other high end lte devices on verizon.

I will be coming from AT&T as a new VZW customer. Should I even considder buying off-contract? It makes sense for GSM, but not for CDMA, so it would seem...

Or, should I just stay with CrapT&T with an unlocked GSM model since I do have unlimited data and 6 more months of service left on contract with them?