Regarding Dec. 9 no longer being the unofficial date

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
VZW tweeted not long ago:

Verizon Wireless 4GLTE service has returned to normal after the company?s network operations team resolved a technical issue.

Does this give us new hope for Friday?

I don't know. I mean, if the stores are still receiving shipments AND this delay was really because of the 4G LTE outage, then MAYBE they could start selling them tomorrow. I mean, it's very unlikely but hey, this whole month and a half has been crazy.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you in the United States? If you are, I wouldn't hedge my bets that the first quad core phones will be out in "one month". CES is just under a month away...when has a phone that was shown at CES out the next week in the US? Fact of the matter is, anything you see at CES, you're going to be waiting a long time for. Quad core phones won't be out in January. March/April at the absolute earliest is a better prediction.

And the first quad core isn't guaranteed to be better than anything else. Case in point...T-Mobile G2X. First dual core phone...and it royally sucks. Had I been in this position last year with the Nexus S, if I had waited and gotten the G2X over the Nexus S, I would be PISSED. So, YMMV, but just know there's a lot things more things to factor in than you are factoring in right now, and it's a lot more complicated than, "The first quad core phone will be out in January, so I may as well wait for that"
Most people probably wouldn't even notice the performance increase of the quads over the dual cores.

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Are you in the United States? If you are, I wouldn't hedge my bets that the first quad core phones will be out in "one month". CES is just under a month away...when has a phone that was shown at CES out the next week in the US? Fact of the matter is, anything you see at CES, you're going to be waiting a long time for. Quad core phones won't be out in January. March/April at the absolute earliest is a better prediction.

And the first quad core isn't guaranteed to be better than anything else. Case in point...T-Mobile G2X. First dual core phone...and it royally sucks. Had I been in this position last year with the Nexus S, if I had waited and gotten the G2X over the Nexus S, I would be PISSED. So, YMMV, but just know there's a lot things more things to factor in than you are factoring in right now, and it's a lot more complicated than, "The first quad core phone will be out in January, so I may as well wait for that"

And to add to your post..you also have to make sure you don't fall in love with anything you see at trade shows that take place early in the year *cough*BIONIC*cough*

spooky981

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

I would also add that I don't believe quad core will be a good purchase until the next generation of battery preservation components come out to compliment it. The first round of quad core phones will be purely for bragging rights otherwise.

We're already underclocking dual core chips right now and not getting a full day of use out of them.

Clancy3434

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
as much as i want this phone to be out as soon as humanly possible, i'll actually be quite aggravated if they do a soft launch friday afternoon... i'm all set to go in to work late friday morning if it was going to launch then, but i'm pretty much stuck for friday afternoon. and then if they're sold out by the time i get there? ugh... talk about a kick in the nuts.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
From an accounting perspective everyday they sit on the inventory is lost profit. They have to pay for it, and the longer they sit on it, the more money they have tied up in inventory that they could be selling, and turning into cash. Maybe not a lot, but the accounts tend to add up every red cent.

Wrong. The only way you'd be correct is if you are accounting for the time value of money. The inventory doesn't depreciate until there is something better available.

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I would also add that I don't believe quad core will be a good purchase until the next generation of battery preservation components come out to compliment it. The first round of quad core phones will be purely for bragging rights otherwise.

We're already underclocking dual core chips right now and not getting a full day of use out of them.

I agree that new battery technology will definitely improve the smartphone experience, but the quad-cores are supposed to be quite a bit more efficient than previous processors, which should, at least in theory, improve battery life a bit.

tlincoln

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
OK. Here's where things stand now so much as I know ...

• The LTE hiccup isn't the reason for any delay.
  • As of right now, there is no delay because there's no official date. The Dec. 9 that started popping up on the inventory screens shouldn't have been there because there's been no official date announcement. So it's no longer there.
  • Friday is still possible. And you know what? That's not crazy since we know they're in stores. We know accessories are in stores.

At this point, I recommend a little chillaxin' :p

Read above!!

Reactions: bplewis24

jhhoffma

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know there's been 8,000 of these already and almost all are heresay. However, I thought I'd share my experience.

I called a local VZW store (Grand Rapids, MI) to ask when it was being released. I talked to a very friendly chap (rep) who was pretty exited about the phone too and he expressed his frustration that they weren't being given the green light.

He didn't have a release date and said he'd hear rumors that 12/9 was supposed to be it, but nothing official. He did say that their tech guy said that it was due to "problems OTA-ing". He also said that it likely had nothing to do with the 4G outage or the SIM card issue on the Razr and Bionic (though I didn't know the Bionic had issues).

Take that for what it's worth, though the rep I spoke with also talked to his inventory guy who said they didn't have any phones in stock and that "no Verizon stores did." I told him that I'd seen pictures of them in store and the inventory guy said that "it must have been a reseller, but they can't sell them for 3 days after we do."

He gave me his number and told me I could text him whenever to get more updates and he'd hold a phone for me, but that was it.

Take it for the free electrons that it's worth...

am4bilbo

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
A family member happens to be president of one of Verizon's regions. He just sent me this email minutes ago.

"Just received word that the launch is delayed again! This obviously is why we are keeping the launch under wraps. I don't anticipate this to be a long delay. If you are registered on the link I sent you, the info will probably reach you for the launch the same time I receive it. Hope you are getting by on your handset."

Not much detailed info but I don't see the phone being released tomorrow. :(

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. The only way you'd be correct is if you are accounting for the time value of money. The inventory doesn't depreciate until there is something better available.
Accountants tend to account for the time value of money. So yes, that is what I was referring to. They get real excited over such things. I worked at one company where they delayed expense checks to their employees so they could keep a few pennies for an extra week. Same thing here, in reverse.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree that new battery technology will definitely improve the smartphone experience, but the quad-cores are supposed to be quite a bit more efficient than previous processors, which should, at least in theory, improve battery life a bit.

The idea that dual cores would be more power efficient came from HUGI, Hurry Up and Get Idle. The idea is that cpus use much less power while idle then while active, so if you can get done twice as fast without doubling the power consumption, then you have a net gain of battery life. You cannot do this by clocking faster since power consumption varies exponentially with clock speed, so they tried to get it done with extra cores. The problem with scaling this up to quad core is that you are assuming that these extra cores are doing enough work to save enough power to compensate for the extra power levels at idle due to the additional cores. Cores 3 and 4 will rarely be used, there are not enough multi threaded apps on android to really justify this. Maybe if android allowed apps to be run side by side cores 3 and 4 would matter but that would still consume more power then the current setup.

New technology that will improve battery life will come in the form of newer, more efficient cpu core architecture and a die shrink, both of which will be coming mid/late next year. There is a reason why the new exynos that was announced is still dual core; with android behaving the way it does it does not make sense to have quad core, unless as I said a new version allows us to run apps side by side. The ONLY reason why Nvidia is making a quad core chip and OEMs will use it is marketing, consumers are trained pretty well at this point to blindly accept larger numbers as better and as everyone knows 4 is bigger than 2.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

You are quite wrong. I've been in business for myself since I was a young man and that time passed a while ago. Every day that inventory does not sell costs money. I've owned both retail and right now I am in the technology business (main business) and I also import goods from China which I sell to retailers. Everyday that an items sits, it is space that could be used for items that are selling and that costs real dollars.

Everyday that Verizon does not release the goods they have in inventory is costing them money. It is in their best interest to start selling those goods. They are not sitting on them in order to piss off their users (as some in here have stated), but it is even worse as a business practice to sell an item that may have a problem or may exacerbate an issue (like putting the GN on sale during an outage). The Nexus, I'm sure, is flummoxing their business plan for Christmas sales and i thinks it is a very good assumption that they are as anxious to get the GN on the shelves as we are to buy it. Verizon does have some business practices that tick me off, such as all the bloatware, but they are not stupid, nor inexperienced with good business practice or they wouldn't be as large and as profitable as they are.

I've been on these forums for only a few months now but I have been constantly amazed by what I read in here at times about what people consider good business or their views on accounting etc. Having been there for a number of decades and quite successful at it I can tell you that most of what I read in here about business is untrue and juvenile.

Sorry for that long rant but some of the posts going on lately are just so far over the top that I decided to put my $.02 in.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You are quite wrong. I've been in business for myself since I was a young man and that time passed a while ago. Every day that inventory does not sell costs money. I've owned both retail and right now I am in the technology business (main business) and I also import goods from China which I sell to retailers. Everyday that an items sits, it is space that could be used for items that are selling and that costs real dollars.

Everyday that Verizon does not release the goods they have in inventory is costing them money. It is in their best interest to start selling those goods. They are not sitting on them in order to piss off their users (as some in here have stated), but it is even worse as a business practice to sell an item that may have a problem or may exacerbate an issue (like putting the GN on sale during an outage). The Nexus, I'm sure, is flummoxing their business plan for Christmas sales and i thinks it is a very good assumption that they are as anxious to get the GN on the shelves as we are to buy it. Verizon does have some business practices that tick me off, such as all the bloatware, but they are not stupid, nor inexperienced with good business practice or they wouldn't be as large and as profitable as they are.

I've been on these forums for only a few months now but I have been constantly amazed by what I read in here at times about what people consider good business or their views on accounting etc. Having been there for a number of decades and quite successful at it I can tell you that most of what I read in here about business is untrue and juvenile.

Sorry for that long rant but some of the posts going on lately are just so far over the top that I decided to put my $.02 in.

We're not talking ahout some local nickel and dime company here. Verizon could toss every single
GN they are set to recieve in a garbage can today or collect dust in inventory infinitely and never release one to any of us. They'll still be #1 and come up smelling like roses, even if they look a steaming pile of ish doing it.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I read a tweet within the hour from Verizon about their Holiday Deals promotion starting now. I saw some "online exclusive" notes on some as well. I am sure in this case, they were probably referring to the price. But, I am going to be optimistically hoping to check in the morning and see the Nexus show up there.

...and then I will probably wake up and reality will set in.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We're not talking ahout some local nickel and dime company here. Verizon could toss every single
GN they are set to recieve in a garbage can today or collect dust in inventory infinitely and never release one to any of us. They'll still be #1 and come up smelling like roses, even if they look a steaming pile of ish doing it.

What they could do and what they must explain to share holders are one and the same

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

killer2293

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
What I don't understand is why a company that is in the business of making money, simply won't release any information on the Nexus. All of this could be avoided if they just stated facts. We are going to release the phone on xx date. If a problem arises state what the problem is and keep everyone in the loop.

It is not difficult with Twitter/facebook/google+ anything. Just put out facts they could have avoided all of this mess. I know they did not give an official date, but someone at Verizon has to understand what is happening here. Someone should take the time and inform the current customers and potential future customers of what is going on. Its the least they could do for customers like you and me that pay roughly $200 a month for cell phones!

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
All that happened before this if it got launched tomorrow would be justified. They took a lot of time testing this phone and for that, I appreciate it. They want to provide the best experience out of the box. At this point, though, I'm kind of skeptical on why they would make it 'official' on the equipment page and then just pull it. If it really has something to do with the outages, that's acceptable. Acceptable as of last night, but those outages are fixed now. They can start planning the launch again and there's no reason why tomorrow wouldn't work.

I understand that they never came out and said "this is the launch date" in a press release, but people would be naive to think they weren't planning on launching this phone tomorrow. An outage doesn't stop them from shipping the phones so most stores should have stock available. If the stock is there, the outage is fixed, and an update is to be pushed upon activation for us to download, then I can't think of any reason on why this phone would need to be delayed any further.

If this doesn't happen tomorrow, then I'm not sure I'm going to be able to justify their silence any longer. There's a fairly large demand for this phone and they know it. It's time for this phone to be launched. Tomorrow should be the day.