How does Verizon's lack of launch effect the rest of us?

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
So does Verizon's much anticipated, not yet launched, GN fiasco delay the rest of us from getting it that much sooner on GSM networks?

Or are they only screwing it up for their own customers?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just want to say thats a fricken awesome/wierd/strange nick. Dunno why you can't believe you're using it, its good stuff. ;-P

ok back to talkin bout the op.

I just don't know if Verizon's exclusivity is time constrained or not. Maybe some of you "insiders" do.

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
none of us know anything about the agreements between manufacturers and carriers. it's likely that Samsung can sell their phone to ATT or whoever today if both are ready, but we have no clue about the agreement between Verizon and Samsung, and Samsung may well be held back by Verizon's release or somesuch. Rest assured, the agreement between these monster companies is painfully complicated and there is likely no straight answer. the GSM phone is released, but ATT releasing it en masse... that's another story possibly.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I personally think it reflects poorly on Android. Google really screwed up on this one.

Weren't you claiming these "delays" were VZW's fault in the past couple of weeks?

How exactly is this Google's fault FishPharm?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Defconrock

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I personally think it reflects poorly on Android.

Agreed.

Verizon, Samsung, and Google all take a bit of a hit here. Nobody knows exactly what is going on, butt definitely feels like the Android brand looks bad here. To me, this is the Android phone to directly compete with the iPhone, but so far it looks like an unorganized mess from the outside.

rainman353

May 24, 2010
Visit site
If it wasn't for unlimited data I'd leave Verizon. I want to get this phone but I really feel Verizon is doing this because of it hurting their sales elsewhere and they want to stick it to google for releasing a non locked down phone. Sure the network went down but I'm sure they still sold every other 4g phone. If it wasn't already in the back of stores I could understand but this is a little ridiculous.

Reactions: FishPharm

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Weren't you claiming these "delays" were VZW's fault in the past couple of weeks?

How exactly is this Google's fault FishPharm?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I posted in the past that I felt that Google is ultimately to blame. Yes, Verizon is making the decisions to hold out to the last possible second but I feel that Google enabled them to do this. Google should have given them exclusivity as long as they could get the phone to the market within a certain time.....if they couldn't or wouldn't then other carriers should have had it. We would have seen a very different launch here if this was the case because every carrier would have been trying to beat the other at getting the first ICS phone to the masses first.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
If it wasn't for unlimited data I'd leave Verizon. I want to get this phone but I really feel Verizon is doing this because of it hurting their sales elsewhere and they want to stick it to google for releasing a non locked down phone. Sure the network went down but I'm sure they still sold every other 4g phone. If it wasn't already in the back of stores I could understand but this is a little ridiculous.

Two things. First, nobody knows just how many phones are in stock at stores. Phil has said that the delay is NOT due to the LTE outage. Maybe shipments were temporarily halted due to an issue with the launch day OTA update, as several people have suggested is the cause of the delay. AFAIK, only some stores have the phones in stock, and those that do don't have very many. Second, many people are going to buy any given phone on the launch day. More than a typical day at a Verizon store. On top of this, the phone will require an OTA update immediately after activation. All of these phones being sold and updated on the same day would put a huge load on Verizon's LTE network. That's not optimal after having just recovered from a large outage.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Didn't one source say at that the previous delay was a software issue? Here's my question.

Why was a phone delayed because of a software issue?

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Didn't one source say at that the previous delay was a software issue? Here's my question.

Why was a phone delayed because of a software issue?

They don't want to release until they have an OTA update ready to go out upon the phone's activation. To have buggy software on a new phone would make everyone look bad, even though most people would rather get the phone earlier and updated later.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The space on my current phone is full so I cannot download any more apps so I want this phone and not really interested in any other phone Verizon is offering. However I will wait. It's only a PHONE for goodness sake.

Having said that, if Verizon does cancel the phone I WILL move to AT&T. I have 3G and live in a 4G area but I don't care about 4G. I have a household member on AT&T and their 3G is good enough for me, so why not a family plan and get ICS on a phone AT&T will offer, or get the Galaxy Note.

In summary it is only a PHONE and one or two years from now something even better will be released..that's the life cycle.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
They don't want to release until they have an OTA update ready to go out upon the phone's activation. To have buggy software on a new phone would make everyone look bad, even though most people would rather get the phone earlier and updated later.

You're right. But I've lived through Sense, TouchWiz, Facebook, Twitter, a host of other software and even Google's own apps that were broken from day one which didn't see patches for months - for those major problems to get greenlighted when half of them where cooked into the roms? It's clear it wasn't an issue then, I guess I figured if they could let those slip then software shouldn't be stopping them from releasing the phone now. Let people enjoy everything else in the meantime like they've done in the past.

A security issue holding up the release of a phone, that I can understand. But a "software issue"? Like "Google Books won't open Tom Sawyer"? Not so much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos