What to do when I buy my Nexus?

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
When (If) this thing comes out, I want to be able to set it up and handle it myself. I'm buying it at my local Verizon store and went in the other day to ask if I could just set it up at home, but apparently I can't do that? Is there anyway that they could activate my phone/line and I could set it up at home or is in-store phone activation necessary?

My main concern is when you have to sign in during set-up (unless you can skip this step and sign in later). I have a lot of apps and don't want to waste my 4 GB of data downloading apps over 3G.

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I also would like to setup my own phone. Why does the rep get to have all the fun?

When I purchased my OG Droid, I told the rep i would like to buy the phone and a 3 pack of screen protectors. The rep when into the back and came out, what seemed to be an hour later, with a opened 3pack and a botched installation job. I was mad and refused to pay for the screen protectors. This is kind of a tangent but this is the kind of service that "they" provide. Im sure a average customer would have appreciated the gesture. I wish he would have asked if I wanted it installed.

You could order it online and set it up at home? Maybe you could ask them to NOT select background data during setup. Im almost positive that that will stop the downloading of all your apps.

-Kesnik

DrPancake

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I know exactly how you guys feel... When I buy a new phone and the rep opens the box and fools around with the phone I'm like jonesing with anticipation to take it from him... ITS MINE! MY PRECIOUSSS!

holysnikey

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It really does piss me off that they HAVE to open and set it up for you there and get there dirty hands all over my virgin phone. They always jam it in like some kind of sick sex scene from an Oxygen or Lifetime movie. But I do not think they allow you to leave without it set up because I have specifically asked them before to NOT open it up or anything and even with a 3G device they don't let you leave without it set up. This is even more so on 4G because they have the SIM cards now so they have to set the card up and what not.

cerob

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue before, I just told them that I didn't remember the password to my gmail account, and after a couple of "failed" attempts at remembering my password, they just game me the phone to set it up when I got home. :D

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it's annoying, but it's the store policy. I'm sure Verizon stores have gotten complaints about how people bought a new phone and can't figure out how to set it up. It's just to avoid any possible confusion when buying a new phone.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm going to unlock the bootloader fist thing. Unlocking it requires a factory reset, and I have 2 reasons to do that. First, it will allow me to set the phone up myself, and second it will prevent me from having to factory reset later on.

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The guy I bought my Rezound set up backup assistant plus and I could not disable it. When I got home I had to do a factory reset because I was unable to find a way to disable it. He also put a micro sim into it even after I told him that the phone uses a full sized sim.

When I get my Nexus I am going to tell them I do not want to the phone activated because I have stuff to do and I do not want to activate a phone that has 30% of its battery life left.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The guy I bought my Rezound set up backup assistant plus and I could not disable it. When I got home I had to do a factory reset because I was unable to find a way to disable it. He also put a micro sim into it even after I told him that the phone uses a full sized sim.

When I get my Nexus I am going to tell them I do not want to the phone activated because I have stuff to do and I do not want to activate a phone that has 30% of its battery life left.

Did it work with the micro SIM? I might be swapping between the Rezound and Nexus. Having one with a micro and one regular might prove to be a pain.

Rabble rabble rabble.

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Did it work with the micro SIM? I might be swapping between the Rezound and Nexus. Having one with a micro and one regular might prove to be a pain.

Rabble rabble rabble.

Yeah it works fine, it just does not fit into the slot properly and may shift if you drop the phone or anything.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I always have this concern when buying new phones. The reps are careless with the phones compared to how I'd treat it. Sometimes they just plop it on the desk with a care in the world and I'm afraid its going to get scratched.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
All the previous phones I have purchased have been over the internet. Kind of easy. You follow the instructions provided...put the sim, battery, and sd card in if it has one, call a number to activate the phone....that's it. This will be the first phone I get from a store because I know the guy there. I will request that he just give me the phone and let me take it from there. I don't think I need their help. As a matter of fact I will stop by this weekend and make sure he knows that I will set the thing up or no sale.

After I activate it the first thing I want to do before I enter my Google account ID is go into the Marekt app and configure it so that it does NOT provide automatic App updates. I don't want all of my previous purchased apps installed on the phone until I have a chance to evaluate all of them and some of them I may never want on this phone.

After this I will take a few pictures, download a few apps then connect the phone to my PC and analyze the directory structure. Then I will copy backup pictures and files from my previous phone(saved to my PC) to the new phone.

Last edited:

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
When I buy the phone, do they have to turn it on and use it to activate it? Or could they just give me a SIM card and I'm good to go? Could someone explain how this works, I'm new to Verizon.

DrPancake

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
its how it works with all carriers i think, at least i know tmobile and verizon. when you buy it they open it infront of you and put the battery and simcard , turn it on, and activate it. the problem is they usually do it carelessly and its annoying they way they handle your new expensive toy

davelm

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
When I got the rezound, the guy just skipped the setup process. Put the SIM in, booted it, and handed it to me, and said "You know what to do", And I walked out. Said it was the first rezound they sold, so guessing he just wanted to look at it haha.

Sometimes if they know your smart, they don't really care. I'd just ask, or say its a gift. Also there are two hot women reps at my store, so I don't mind sticking around for a couple extra minutes ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz