My opinion with my time with the Galaxy Nexus.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
After reading the garbage wireless vet posted, I decided that he's a troll and I'm going to tell you my opinion on it. Some of you know why I was able to use it, but I can't go any further than that.

Appearance
First thing I want to clarify is the phone does NOT feel cheap at all. I work with phones everyday and to me the charge and fascinate felt cheap, this does not. As soon as you hold it, you'll will notice right away that it feels well built. Another thing I noticed is that the screen seems to have a anti fingerprint coating. Unlike other phones, for some reason this phone doesn't show a lot of prints like others do. I'm not sure why, but I wonder if that's why Samsung went a different direction this time around. Also, if you tap the screen with an object it feels stronger than if you would do it on other devices. Lastly, the extended battery does NOT bulk up the phone. It's works like the X and droid 3.

Software
The phone boots up faster than any phone I've used, this was noticeable right away. The face unlock feature is as good as advertised and really works well on angles which I was happy to see. One thing I really want to discuss is how much better ICS looks compared to previous OS from google. I've always said how clean and smooth Apples IOS was and for first time google has not only matched IOS, but I think it is just plain better looking and smoother now. ICS is down right amazing and I see why Eric S feels they have apple beat. There's a lot to get into, so just ask questions and I'll answer them that way.

Battery
With leaving GPS(stand alone) on, Bluetooth on, brightness at 60%, sync all on and doing the usual web browsing, FB, rdio, about 35-40 txt and about 2 hours worth of talk time I was about to go from 9am till 9pm and still have about 30% of juice left. Also did some video recording and picture taking as well.

Camera
Yes folks, there is ZERO lag and that means speed wise, the nexus can stand toe to toe with the iPhone 4s in that department. Picture quality wise is good, but not amazing. Definitely better than Motorola's camera and I would say better than any Verizon phone to date, but still behind the iPhone.

Comparison
Now, I've been using the rezound and bionic for the last month and for those who are debating which one to get, I can say WITHOUT A DOUBT that not only is the screen better than the RAZR, the software is better than sense and the slimness, feel and overall look on the nexus makes all these devices a distant memory.

Closing statement
The Galaxy Nexus show's huge progression and shows us that google isn't ok with standing still like apple and that they are not only ahead in innovation and risk taking, but they have a winning OS. This is the first COMPLETE phone and really shows that they are listening. I came from an iPhone 2 years ago and once I got a droid I realized what google was doing and knew that with patience and some bumps along the way that the iPhone will disappear. Unfortunately, there's to many people that are ok with mediocrity and even though I feel google has apple beat on every way with ICS and the nexus, too many people will overlook it.

This is the phone we've all been waiting for. This is google at their BEST.

kingB

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review! Do you think that it's worth investing in some sort of screen protector and case for this phone? I like to hear that fingerprints don't seem to be much of an issue!

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You know, I use to be all about a case and screen protector, but I find myself going naked with my phones now. It usually depends on what the cases look like and it's never a bad idea to get either one.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

kingB

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I realize it's really all about personal preference. Maybe a better question is, do you believe this phone will be able to hold up to the daily grind while naked? It sounds like you think it's sturdy enough as it is.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Can we talk about the screen? I don't see many people talking about it in the sense that it's a big highlight of the phone. They say...."It's 720P, 4.65, and Pentile...moving on now..." I want someone to emphasize on it a bit.

Is it really vibrant? Sharp? Eye popping? Did you view HD video on it? Text appears nicely? Is it truly something to behold?

Also,

How did you feel about the ICS visual buttons rather than having physical buttons? Easy to use...easy to move from physical to software on-screen buttons?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I know this was asked in the podcast sticky thread but I've been wondering this too and since I haven't been able to listen it yet are the onscreen buttons re-sizable?

Thanks Joe for the information I can't wait to get this phone!!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review joe. I agree completely. I have the gsm version and will be glad
when the Verizon version comes out. I'm thinking about switching but, want to give Verizon a chance to work things out.

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Rezound as well and the display is absolutely beautiful. I do plan on switching to the GN once it's out. Am I going to be disappointed with the GN display or is it even better?

Also, the Rezound has a pretty darn good camera. If you turn off the pic review, it's pretty close to ZSL, but not quite. Your saying the picture quality from the GN surpasses that of the Rezound?

Thanks for answering questions, and for your thoughts on the phone.

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for this helpful thread. I have been doubting my resolve on holding out for the Nexus the last few days, but this reminded me why I want it so much.

Thank you, Sir!

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for this helpful thread. I have been doubting my resolve on holding out for the Nexus the last few days, but this reminded me why I want it so much.

Thank you, Sir!

+1 - looking forward to the eventual release. Also, might I also question the screen? Is it as colorful as advertised. Also the text - I love the roboto font, but want to know if it is clear and easy to read at small font sizes.

Again - your review/discussion was welcomed - appreciate it sir!

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Good Sir, don't take this the wrong way.

I funkin' hate you. (and anybody else who has one already while I sit here twiddling my thumbs and checking the forums every few hours in hopes for some rogue store here in California that is selling them early).

Brandon

bwillyM5

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of the podcast: Does anyone know how long it takes before they have the video feed up? The audio one is available now, but the latest video one is last weeks.

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this. I have a question about the display as well. How many fingers at once does the multitouch support. My DX only supports 2, but I have seen other devices that support up to 5 or so. How about the GNex?

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The answers to most (if not all) of these questions are already known. The software buttons' size is a fixed size, although some apps remove them from view. After rooting, it may be possible to tweak the sizes. The screen is said to be at least as good as any other screen on the market. I believe it sports 320 dpi?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney