Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    AOKP / Franco.Kernel

Default Set up?

Sorry for asking this question again, but I need to know if there is a way I can skip logging into my Google account on the Nexus until I get home so I can avoid downloading the apps over 3G and wasting my 4 GB of data. If I can't skip logging in, could I just have the phone activated and do the set up by myself at home? I will insist on setting it up myself. Also, could I just sign in and quickly put it in airplane mode until I get home, if the other options won't work.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Default Re: Set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh515 View Post
    Sorry for asking this question again, but I need to know if there is a way I can skip logging into my Google account on the Nexus until I get home so I can avoid downloading the apps over 3G and wasting my 4 GB of data. If I can't skip logging in, could I just have the phone activated and do the set up by myself at home? I will insist on setting it up myself. Also, could I just sign in and quickly put it in airplane mode until I get home, if the other options won't work.
    You could just make an extra, empty Google account while you're home, and log into that when you get the phone. When you get home, just do a factory reset and log in with your standard account.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Or you can use the stoe's wifi. That's what I have typically done. For both my Bionic and Rezound the data connection was kind of flaky for the first 20 minutes or so even after it activated. Come to think about it Thunderbolt was the same way, I almost forgot hooking up to the hotspot on my rep's Palm Pre (gag, yeah I know) to sync my device and download my apps.
    Last edited by VZWRocks; 12-10-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    1,678 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by drwatz0n View Post
    You could just make an extra, empty Google account while you're home, and log into that when you get the phone. When you get home, just do a factory reset and log in with your standard account.
    I have a extra gmail account and that's what I'm going to do.

This seems like a really, really silly problem to me.

1. How many apps do you have??? You'd have to have a TON. SO. MANY. APPS. to make a dent in your data.

2. Do apps really download themselves automatically? I cant remember this ever happening, and if it did, I feel like you have to open the market first. So...just wait until you get home to download.

3. Create an entire google?!? That seems SOOOO overkill. Just flip to Airplane mode. Settings -> wireless. Disable and done. Takes approx. 3 seconds.
    Phone Home.
    revickulous2001 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,678 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post

1. How many apps do you have??? You'd have to have a TON. SO. MANY. APPS. to make a dent in your data.

2. Do apps really download themselves automatically? I cant remember this ever happening, and if it did, I feel like you have to open the market first. So...just wait until you get home to download.

3. Create an entire google?!? That seems SOOOO overkill. Just flip to Airplane mode. Settings -> wireless. Disable and done. Takes approx. 3 seconds.
    Maybe he doesn't have much data left for the month. I'm going to use my other gmail account because it will be quicker. I really don't care for the Verizon reps unboxing and activating my phone but, I realize they are just doing their job.

The faster they can do their little test email (on my second gmail account with no personel stuff on it) the faster I can get out of there, Unlock bootloader/factory reset, log in to my main Gmail and, set the phone up the way I like.
    Last edited by qnet; 12-10-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Yes you can just skip it and add the accounts later when you get home.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Speaking of... I plan on unlocking my bootloader as soon as I get home to my computer. So, I find this completely pointless to do any type of setup, when my phone is just going to get wiped anyway... I know this is the whole point of the phone, and I also know Verizon's stance on any type of customization. Is this something I can tell them, so I don't waste my time, and theirs? Would they actually understand a word I am saying, and allow me to walk out, unscathed?

Last time I did a factory reset I still had to go to the market and re download my apps. Didn't have to pay for them obviously but still had to click install which downloaded and installed.

Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    Maybe he doesn't have much data left for the month. I'm going to use my other gmail account because it will be quicker. I really don't care for the Verizon reps unboxing and activating my phone but, I realize they are just doing their job.

The faster they can do their little test email (on my second gmail account with no personel stuff on it) the faster I can get out of there, Unlock bootloader/factory reset, log in to my main Gmail and, set the phone up the way I like.
    Maybe that's the case, but I doubt it. From what he said, he is switching to a Galaxy Nexus to get the 4GB data deal. So he is either switching from another carrier and starting at 0, or he is upgrading from 2 GB, which means at an absolute minimum he's got 2 GB left.

Qnet, if you've already got a second account, that's great. Maybe it will save you some time. But my point was that it is silly for the OP to make a new gmail account simply for the purpose of activating a phone when there are so many more logical options. As mentioned by others, just use the store wifi, use a hotspot, simply dont download the apps til you get home, turn off data with airplane mode, skip plugging in an account at all, etc etc etc....
    Phone Home.

Quote Originally Posted by dcusick View Post
    Speaking of... I plan on unlocking my bootloader as soon as I get home to my computer. So, I find this completely pointless to do any type of setup, when my phone is just going to get wiped anyway... I know this is the whole point of the phone, and I also know Verizon's stance on any type of customization. Is this something I can tell them, so I don't waste my time, and theirs? Would they actually understand a word I am saying, and allow me to walk out, unscathed?
    Again, maybe you have crazy VZW stores, but I really am not following the problem. When you say "pointless setup" and "wasting your time," you just mean that they connect the sim card, call the activation number, and its pretty much good to go, right? Cuz they arent taking up hours deciding what widgets to put on your homescreen.

To answer your question, no, I wouldnt say anything. I would be quiet and let them activate it. If you absolutely must, tell them to leave it in the box and you'll activate it at home. See what they say.
    Phone Home.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

When i bought my tbolt we didnt set it up in the store. I let it activate on my way to work. He didnt waste my time, gave him a 2 min. Sale.

Global Posts
    1,678 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Maybe that's the case, but I doubt it. From what he said, he is switching to a Galaxy Nexus to get the 4GB data deal. So he is either switching from another carrier and starting at 0, or he is upgrading from 2 GB, which means at an absolute minimum he's got 2 GB left.

Qnet, if you've already got a second account, that's great. Maybe it will save you some time. But my point was that it is silly for the OP to make a new gmail account simply for the purpose of activating a phone when there are so many more logical options. As mentioned by others, just use the store wifi, use a hotspot, simply dont download the apps til you get home, turn off data with airplane mode, skip plugging in an account at all, etc etc etc....
    I understand. In truth I was just excited at the idea of using my second email account and, starting over when I got home. Someone in the thread mentioned this to the OP and it sounded like a good idea I hadn't thought of.

I had a awkward experience when I bought my Xoom at the Verizon store. The guy had me log into my gmail and did a test email. It may be routine but, they haven't always done that and, I wasn't comfortable with someone viewing my email account. He was acting kind of cocky and weird. The girl that set up my bionic was cool. She let me log into my account and once I done that we were done. Anyway, sorry for going off the subject.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    AOKP / Franco.Kernel

1. I do have a lot of apps, and even if I didn't, I still wouldn't want to waste ANY of my data when I can use Wi-Fi without any limit.

2. I have heard that when you sign in during setup that apps begin downloading to the phone. Don't know about this because it's my first Android phone. (If this does happen, it's probably a new feature in ICS)

3. Putting it on airplane mode is probably just what I'm going to do.

Also, I don't believe my local store has Wi-Fi. I checked before, but I'll check again the next time I'm in there.

#2. Happened to me with my 2nd Android phone (on Gingerbread). Apps started appearing as soon as I logged in. Didn't click on anything to start it... and I don't know how to prevent it from happening again. I, like you, don't want all my apps appearing on a new phone.... some I don't even use anymore.
    Thanked by:

FWIW, I was watching a startup video (on a GSM phone, but I'd guess they're both the same), and after logging into the Google account, it gives you a checkbox on whether or not you want to 'restore this phone from your Google account'. So by unchecking that, it appeared that apps, contacts, etc. won't restore, and I'm guessing they could be restored individually later.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cbwx34 View Post
    FWIW, I was watching a startup video (on a GSM phone, but I'd guess they're both the same), and after logging into the Google account, it gives you a checkbox on whether or not you want to 'restore this phone from your Google account'. So by unchecking that, it appeared that apps, contacts, etc. won't restore, and I'm guessing they could be restored individually later.
    Is there any chance you can post that video...? I do not recall seeing that... and I too do not want all of my apps automatically downloaded.

I also read on there there was a "switch" to disable automatic updates... does that also imply application installation as well...?

At around the 4 min. mark it shows the backup/restore options... I've watched a couple others and didn't see anything related to automatic updates.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,520 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Every Android phone has this option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickgsx View Post
    Is there any chance you can post that video...? I do not recall seeing that... and I too do not want all of my apps automatically downloaded.

I also read on there there was a "switch" to disable automatic updates... does that also imply application installation as well...?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Hmmm... I did not know that. This is only my second android device and the first one was setup by Verizon.

I was able to view the viedo and pause and see the option NOT to restore the apps to the phone... but let me ask.... can I restore an application at another time from google..? and can it be a single applcation or all of them.... again, please forgive my basic questions.... Thanks....
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

ROM
    AOKP / Franco.Kernel

I can redownload purchased apps for free, correct? I've been taking advantage of Google's 10 cent apps on my Galaxy Tab and want to be able to download them on my Nexus when I get it.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Again, maybe you have crazy VZW stores, but I really am not following the problem. When you say "pointless setup" and "wasting your time," you just mean that they connect the sim card, call the activation number, and its pretty much good to go, right? Cuz they arent taking up hours deciding what widgets to put on your homescreen. .
    You don't call the activation number on a 4G phone, doing so can mess up your settings and require you to get a new SIM card. It's rare since the phone is supposed to disconnect if you do that but there have been cases in the forums where it has cased issues.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    I
    I had a awkward experience when I bought my Xoom at the Verizon store. The guy had me log into my gmail and did a test email. It may be routine but, they haven't always done that and, I wasn't comfortable with someone viewing my email account. He was acting kind of cocky and weird. The girl that set up my bionic was cool. She let me log into my account and once I done that we were done. Anyway, sorry for going off the subject.
    I've never had that happen on any phone I have bought. Having me log into Google so my stuff will stat to sync and placing a test call to #832 is fairly common but I have never had them send an email or text of have me to it.

Now days they just hand me the phone once activation has started and as if I have any questions since they all know me at this point and know i know my stuff and will ask of I have any questions.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM
    AOKP / Franco.Kernel

When I bought my Galaxy Tab the BB rep put his e-mail in my contacts in case I had any questions. Yea, I never needed that.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

I can redownload purchased apps for free, correct? I've been taking advantage of Google's 10 cent apps on my Galaxy Tab and want to be able to download them on my Nexus when I get it.
    Yes, although from what I understood from a post I was reading from Jerry about managing multiple devices in app purchases can't be transferred. Not sure if he meant that you can't transfer them to more than one phone at all or if the were somehow linked to the line of service and just cant be on more than one device at a time. I'm guessing it is the first one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast