Battery life

kregstrong

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
What are people saying about battery life?? Is it gonna be better than phones like the charge? Im definately gonna get the battery dock just in case, my charge can only go about 4-5 hours

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Too early for this to be answered. The Verizon LTE will be different than the GSM model. I predict it will be like most all android devices, never enough, but better than anything made by HTC.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Too early for this to be answered. The Verizon LTE will be different than the GSM model. I predict it will be like most all android devices, never enough, but better than anything made by HTC.

With the "extended" battery that hardly increases its size, it should be more than decent.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've always gotten a full day from both my Droid X and my Bionic (30 to 40% left around mid night when I plug in). I think it's all about what you install and what you do with the device. If you put tons of widgets (weather and calendar) on the home screens and try to watch movies all day, you'll have a short battery life.

kregstrong

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Ive had the bionic, and no way i could ever make it or this charge last all day, they wouldbt even last all day on standby, not sure how you are accomplishing that

CyanLite

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that the LTE version of GN will have an 1850mAh battery... the other GSM/HSPA+ versions will have 1750mAh. Considering the HTC Rezound has a 1620mAh battery, and the Droid Razr has a 1780mAh battery then the GN should (theoretically) be the battery leader for 4G LTE dual core phones on Verizon.

For me, I get free WiFi at work and have WiFi at home, I hope ICS has an option to turn off LTE when on WiFi, like it is in CyanogenMod7. If that's the case then I should be able to last quite a while on the stock battery.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The bionic battery life was a joke. This doesn't mean it can't be fixed via software but I feel like it was more hardware related. Bionic buyers fell into two camps, one convinced themselves that the battery life was good. The other was sure that no lte phone will ever have good battery life. I sent it back and if the GN is just as bad I will do the same. I am optimistic the GN is going to be a keeper.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

have24

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that the LTE version of GN will have an 1850mAh battery... the other GSM/HSPA+ versions will have 1750mAh. Considering the HTC Rezound has a 1620mAh battery, and the Droid Razr has a 1780mAh battery then the GN should (theoretically) be the battery leader for 4G LTE dual core phones on Verizon.

and ICS is supposed to be more efficient and not as big of a user of the battery. But I don't know if that is just marketing or actually true.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Questions about battery life can't legitimately be answered until the device has been in people's hands for several days... And even then, typical battery use for one person won't be the same typical battery use for another

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
If you don't use your phone like crazy, battery life will be decent. The Nexus has a significant battery and the extended battery (since it doesn't really increase the size of the device) will be very sexy if you can get it on sale. $50 is a bit much for a 13% larger battery.

iastonish

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Ive had the bionic, and no way i could ever make it or this charge last all day, they wouldbt even last all day on standby, not sure how you are accomplishing that

Not sure why people are having such different experiences with the Bionic battery, but I typically get at least 12 hours of regular usage the standard battery before having to charge. I don't have any emails synced currently though, and I disable background data when it's not needed. Aside from that, I just keep it on Wifi as much as possible. I'm running Liberty 2.0 by the way.

Today on very light usage, just texting mostly, the battery only dropped 15% after 10.5 hours lol

kregstrong

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why people are having such different experiences with the Bionic battery, but I typically get at least 12 hours of regular usage the standard battery before having to charge. I don't have any emails synced currently though, and I disable background data when it's not needed. Aside from that, I just keep it on Wifi as much as possible. I'm running Liberty 2.0 by the way.

Today on very light usage, just texting mostly, the battery only dropped 15% after 10.5 hours lol

Man I can turn my charge completely off and drain more battery than that in 10 hours hahahahaaha

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

That's it your not using your phone I can get all day on my charge if I turn off data and never look at it. But I get a smart phone to do way more then just keep it in my pocket.

Sent from my SCH-I510

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

For me, I get free WiFi at work and have WiFi at home, I hope ICS has an option to turn off LTE when on WiFi, like it is in CyanogenMod7. If that's the case then I should be able to last quite a while on the stock battery.

so right now when I turn on my wifi on my droid charge the l t e radio is still active? I thought when I turned on wifi the LTE radio was deactivated

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Man hearing this stories from the Charge I'm glad I never got one! My Incredible with a 1750 mah battery last me ~14 hours between charges. Everything on, but it's only 3G. (Don't have 4G here yet, booooo.) I would imagine the better screen and software should provide me with decent battery life. My Asus Transformer tablet has ~ the same stats as the GN, and it last a LONG time on battery. (Granted the battery is a lot bigger too.)

As long as I can stretch it to 8 hours, anything past that is gravy. Which even then it doesn't really matter since I'm always around a charging source somewhere.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I got my Verizon Gnex yesterday. I took the phone off the charger this morning at 6:30am and 4 and a half hours later it's about half way dead. Guessing I'll get 9 hours out of it. The only downside is, I haven't used it much today. Just maybe 15 texts and a brief session online. I think after a couple more days, I will see better performance though.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys check out the video from the Paris "LeWeb" conference?

The head of Android shows off the GN and ICS with his home screen setup.

It is a fantastic way to set it up, but I couldn't help but wonder about battery drain since he seemed to do a lot of functions with widgets.