If the hardware is just so-so, why all the exitement?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
While I'll probably be getting mine when they come out, I'm really starting to wonder.

Many reviews rave ICS, but have only mild reviews for the hardware. So is this really the phone I want for the next 2 years?

I realize that something new is always on the horizon, but in many respects this seems like a VERY short lived "best" phone. Is this really worth jumping into? My Thunderbolt seems fine, and if it gets ICS, wouldn't it be just as good? OR, does the processor in the GN make for a better web surfing experience?

I don't game or download much. I do use the web a whole bunch though. What will this dual-core 1.2 mean for me?

PLEASE, talk me into this phone!

EDIT: btw, this was not meant to question, just to help educate me. Thanks

Last edited:

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
While I'll probably be getting mine when they come out, I'm really starting to wonder.

Many reviews rave ICS, but have only mild reviews for the hardware. So is this really the phone I want for the next 2 years?

I realize that something new is always on the horizon, but in many respects this seems like a VERY short lived "best" phone. Is this really worth jumping into? My Thunderbolt seems fine, and if it gets ICS, wouldn't it be just as good? OR, does the processor in the GN make for a better web surfing experience?

The phone is worth it. Feels great in one hand and makes for very easy one handed use. Doesn't hurt my hand as much as the droid razr which was just way too wide. And yes ics is a game changer. Its also has a top of the line screen. Looks amazing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Pierce09

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

1. It's a Nexus, plain and simple. Updates straight from Google.
2. Screen is incredible and better than anything else on the market.
3. The processor is not the reason for the better web surfing experience. That is due to hardware acceleration.
4. The hardware is not outdated. It bothers me when people say this. The only thing that can be considered "dated" is the GPU, and that's not the end of the world (since it is clocked higher than any other PowerVR SGX540 out there). Especially when you consider that ICS was optimized for the TI OMAP4 series processor. And don't even get me started on the camera.
5. When you consider the fact that it is a Nexus, that means that you will be the first to receive an update to the next iteration of Android (whatever that may be) this time next year.

Reactions: Josh515

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
The excitement is only for the software. The phone itself is a crime considering quad-core is a mere few months away and they only release one Nexus a year.

wege12

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The excitement is only for the software. The phone itself is a crime considering quad-core is a mere few months away and they only release one Nexus a year.

You hate this dont you? I don't remember a single post from you saying anything positive about the actual phone itself..

Back on topic.. Like stated above, the big draw for me is it is a Nexus. I've always wanted one and have longed for a stock Google experience since the OG Droid.

Dustindejohn

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
The hype is about ICS but more importantly it'll be a HUGE dev phone, ROMs comin out the wazoo among other places... plus the devs will stick with this phone, it's a huge plus

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
1. It's a Nexus, plain and simple. Updates straight from Google.
2. Screen is incredible and better than anything else on the market.
3. The processor is not the reason for the better web surfing experience. That is due to hardware acceleration.
4. The hardware is not outdated. It bothers me when people say this. The only thing that can be considered "dated" is the GPU, and that's not the end of the world (since it is clocked higher than any other PowerVR SGX540 out there). Especially when you consider that ICS was optimized for the TI OMAP4 series processor. And don't even get me started on the camera.
5. When you consider the fact that it is a Nexus, that means that you will be the first to receive an update to the next iteration of Android (whatever that may be) this time next year.

Agreed. I was originally concerned about the camera until I got to take a couple shots with it at a Verizon store........it seems to be considerably better (as far as clarity) than my Razr. The Razr is practically useless at taking pictures indoors. You have to really hold the phone extremely still to get somewhat clear shot indoors...and this is with the flash on. Motorola should give out a damn tripod with it...

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site

Thunderbolt isn't going to run ICS nearly as well. The second core is required for smoother UI interactions (and overall performance); there's a long G+ thread by a previous Google intern who explains the issues with Android's UI.

As far as your hardware concerns: Sure, this device's back camera may have quality issues compared to the ones on the iPhone 4/4S and Rezound. Yeah, this display is Super AMOLED HD (Pentile), not Super AMOLED HD Plus. Of course, this device lacks a strong aluminum body frame. So why buy this device?

The problem is no one is happy with anything (queue Louis C.K. joke). They will always nitpick at little things. This device is the ONLY Super AMOLED HD on the market, and it is damned amazing for its time. This device is a 4.65" behemoth that lacks hardware capacitive buttons entirely; no other Android phone will release with this design until spring time earliest. Etc.

If the hardware doesn't convince you, how about the software? Porting the latest AOSP build to your device is a difficult enough task (ensuring audio, data, WiFi, etc all work properly). Porting it to a non-Nexus device is even more difficult; our Thunderbolt for instance still doesn't have an official Cyanogenmod release. Nexus devices ensure you can get the latest software, especially because more developers will be working on these devices.

Personally, I will be relegating my T-Bolt to the bench because the Galaxy Nexus, despite its flaws, is the best Android device on the market now and, given the trend of Verizon's Android devices, may continue being the best Android device for me until the Galaxy SIII comes out mid next year. And then only be about four to six months after the SGSIII comes out there will be the Nexus 4.

Reactions: crzycrkr

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't game or download much. I do surf the web a lot though.What will this dual-core 1.2 mean for me?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I would be surprised if any of the current phones get ics within a couple of months. So the gn will be "on top" longer than most.

Sent from my SCH-I510 soon to be SCH-I515

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site

We aren't seeing a good quad-core device until Samsung Galaxy SIII earliest. And even then we have no idea what kind of benefit it would provide over dual core. I wouldn't expect better multi-core support until Jelly Bean or Key Lime Pie when 3+ core mobile processors become the norm.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
We aren't seeing a good quad-core device until Samsung Galaxy SIII earliest. And even then we have no idea what kind of benefit it would provide over dual core. I wouldn't expect better multi-core support until Jelly Bean or Key Lime Pie when 3+ core mobile processors become the norm.

Plus for what I do quad core is overkill. not to mention verizon will most likely be the last to get a quad core and most likely will kill battery just like dual cores do now.

siciliano77

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Yeah in Q1/Q2 next year, quad core smartphones will start hitting the market...that's only a few months away! Considering I only get a new phone every 2 years, I think I might wait for a quad core phone.

As everyone knows the GN is only dual core, which will already be outdated in a few months... whereas quad core will likely persist for at LEAST a solid year, maybe two, before 6 core phones hit the market.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
the excitement is that there is nothing out that can be in stores now or the 15th that has all the goodies this phone has. its a freaking nexus. i can guarantee you i wont have it for 2 years..... who cares! i have never had a phone for 2 years! sell it upgrade blah blah blah. but one thing is for certain as long as i own it, i will always have the latest version of the badass new ICS OS or some other crazy freshly cooked ROM with all the fixins. and for that, the nexus be with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Premium1

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

The benefit is simple: It will be faster, as proven by the Transformer Prime's superior speed to its competitors. And your idea of not seeing "good' quad-core till the S3 is mere rationalizing.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Phone feels great in hand...and the screen is phenomenal. Internals are respectable, snappy, and should provide a great device for the next 1-2 years. No, this is not a quad core hardcore gaming device. But it's nice.