Google Slowly Giving Up on Nexus?

WolfSkull

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Is the Galaxy Nexus Still a ?Nexus?? | xda-developers

Someone please correct me if I'm panicking for no reason. But after reading this, along with the exclusion of GW and everything that's happened with this phone, it's starting to look to me like Google is just letting the Nexus line slip away.

I missed the boat on the N1 after getting locked into the OG droid. I was really excited to get the GN and get my updates straight from Google and not have to deal with carrier BS. Unfortunately the closer this thing gets to releasing, it looks more and more like it is going to be the Galaxy Droid.

Don't get me wrong, I will still get it. It's gonna be the best phone out for a while. It's just disappointing, but maybe my expectations were too high.

kvlt

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Someone please correct me if I'm panicking for no reason. But after reading this, along with the exclusion of GW and everything that's happened with this phone, it's starting to look to me like Google is just letting the Nexus line slip away.

I missed the boat on the N1 after getting locked into the OG droid. I was really excited to get the GN and get my updates straight from Google and not have to deal with carrier BS. Unfortunately the closer this thing gets to releasing, it looks more and more like it is going to be the Galaxy Droid.

Don't get me wrong, I will still get it. It's gonna be the best phone out for a while. It's just disappointing, but maybe my expectations were too high.

This Nexus certainly is a strange beast with the way that its been introduced thus far. I wouldnt worry too much about updates or anything though. In all honesty some Galaxy Nexus models may not get all the updates immediately, but even a month late is far better than the 6 months that itll take the other manufacturers. As far as im concerned we have an unlockable bootloader, Android in its purest form, and Googles stamp of approval. Thats good enough for me.

Now lets just hope Verizon can let us get it.

Dustindejohn

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
GW has issues, plain and simple, if you want it badly you can root your phone
which should be relatively easy
Google still cares about their phone, and Verizon is REALLY not looking that controlling, they cud've demanded blockbuster and NFL redzone and any other of their crapapps
Just breath man, breath

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

One app is excluded and you're speculating Google is giving up on the entire line and idea of a "nexus"? And we're not even 100% certain Google Wallet isn't being rehashed and allowed back on the phone yet. Let's not get the cart before the horse, at least until the phone is actually released.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't see this as "giving up" at all. It looks like to me to be an interative step by Google to let Carriers use the vanilla version of Android, and execute any tweaks they want to but still maintain the ability to get MOST of their development done by Google.

Companies typically reject large, radical changes, and there is no way that a hardware manufacturer or carrier will surrender turn over control to Google. So, smaller, more measured steps to help manufacturers see the beauty of just using the vanilla versions of Android is fine with me.

WolfSkull

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My point wasn't that the exclusion of GW was so terrible. It's a lot of little things that don't look very promising.

My concern is mainly with this, as well as the Twitter conversation between JBQ and P3Droid. I'm still confused as to who is responsible for updates.

I only have some visibility over the builds that are prepared by Google, i.e. yakju. Everything else comes from Samsung and I don’t know what their schedules and release plans are. I can’t guarantee that flashing the yakju files that I posted would work on a device that originally shipped with yakjuxw, as I don’t have access to such devices. The hardware is supposed to be close, but I don’t know for sure that it’s close enough. JBQ

If someone has found confirmation that Google is handling all builds that is great. I'm just cautiously worried given the info I've read.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My point wasn't that the exclusion of GW was so terrible. It's a lot of little things that don't look very promising.

My concern is mainly with this, as well as the Twitter conversation between JBQ and P3Droid. I'm still confused as to who is responsible for updates.

I only have some visibility over the builds that are prepared by Google, i.e. yakju. Everything else comes from Samsung and I don?t know what their schedules and release plans are. I can?t guarantee that flashing the yakju files that I posted would work on a device that originally shipped with yakjuxw, as I don?t have access to such devices. The hardware is supposed to be close, but I don?t know for sure that it?s close enough. JBQ

If someone has found confirmation that Google is handling all builds that is great. I'm just cautiously worried given the info I've read.

I think it depends on where the problem lies. If it's in the Google GSM/LTE "Core" code (ie. yakju), they'll fix it, pass it to Samsung who will test it, then pass it to VZW, who will test it (presumably) and then push it out.

If the issue requires a Samsung build, then Samsung will fix their "branch" of the yakju (or whatever the LTE Google build name is) and will push that downstream.

Google will NOT be pushing out updates directly to this device. However, as the AC Editorial points out, it should GREATLY reduce the time for fixes and updates to come out because the work, presumably, that Samsung would have to do is very minimal because they are not overlaying a bunch of custom code on top of it.

So, no, Google will not be handling the "builds". It looks like that will be on Samsung, but they'll be using the vast majority of the code from Google for those builds.

whitecomet

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Where the heck is this phone. I am patient but by the end of today big red should give us a eta for a date. They still have half a month to release it and it is in stores. Just let us know that's all i ask heck qute the 22nd if you must or just tell us it's held up for next year if that's the case so i can make my mind up to skip it or wait.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Must this be posted in every thread?

There've been several questions in this group about tuna vs maguro,
but such questions were buried in the middle on long threads so I'll try to summarize in a new clean thread.

The Galaxy Nexus family is codenamed "tuna". Using fish names in
relationship to devices isn't quite new, since in the past we've had
goldfish (emulator), trout (G1), mahimahi (Nexus One), herring (Nexus
S) and stingray (Xoom).

There are two actual Galaxy Nexus devices, codenamed maguro and toro.
Maguro is the GSM/HSPA+ variant, and Toro is the CDMA/LTE variant.
Toro is a bit fatter, hence its name.

In the source tree released yesterday, there are two directories
called device/samsung/tuna and device/samsung/maguro. The former
contains all the files that are common to both toro and maguro, while
the latter contains the maguro-specific files. There's no
device/samsung/toro in AOSP yet, that directory will get created when
we release the exact code that actually ships on toro.

device/samsung/tuna contains makefiles as if it was an actual device.
There's no such device in reality, but the abstraction is convenient
for engineering purposes as it allows creating a common system image
that works on both toro and maguro, even though it supports neither
GSM/HSPA+ nor CDMA/LTE. This is only meant for engineering purposes,
and the only real devices are maguro and toro.

Looking a little bit in my crystal ball, we'll be supporting toro in
AOSP along with maguro, with similar downloads for proprietary
binaries, and the whole process is tied to shipping toro. Be aware
that my crystal ball is rarely more accurate than a Magic 8-ball, so
you should take this with a grain of salt.

Personally, I prefer working with maguro, as supporting GSM in AOSP is
easier than CDMA in my experience.

JBQ

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
It's the most Google-y phone you can get, even if you can't completely cut the carrier out of the equation. The end.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
im starting to believe this phone will never go out. just like the htc merge eh?
ill keep waiting and see what happens on the 15th

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
actually, the director of android operating system user experience at google, Matias Duarte, in an interview has already stated that "...it's there (verizon) phone..." when asked when the gnex would be released.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03