Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Dustindejohn
  • 1 Post By Phil Nickinson
  • 1 Post By WolfSkull
  • 3 Post By zer0vette
  • 1 Post By tk-093
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Google Slowly Giving Up on Nexus?

Is the Galaxy Nexus Still a “Nexus?” | xda-developers

Someone please correct me if I'm panicking for no reason. But after reading this, along with the exclusion of GW and everything that's happened with this phone, it's starting to look to me like Google is just letting the Nexus line slip away.

I missed the boat on the N1 after getting locked into the OG droid. I was really excited to get the GN and get my updates straight from Google and not have to deal with carrier BS. Unfortunately the closer this thing gets to releasing, it looks more and more like it is going to be the Galaxy Droid.

Don't get me wrong, I will still get it. It's gonna be the best phone out for a while. It's just disappointing, but maybe my expectations were too high.

Default Re: Google Slowly Giving Up on Nexus?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSkull View Post

Someone please correct me if I'm panicking for no reason. But after reading this, along with the exclusion of GW and everything that's happened with this phone, it's starting to look to me like Google is just letting the Nexus line slip away.

I missed the boat on the N1 after getting locked into the OG droid. I was really excited to get the GN and get my updates straight from Google and not have to deal with carrier BS. Unfortunately the closer this thing gets to releasing, it looks more and more like it is going to be the Galaxy Droid.

Don't get me wrong, I will still get it. It's gonna be the best phone out for a while. It's just disappointing, but maybe my expectations were too high.
    This Nexus certainly is a strange beast with the way that its been introduced thus far. I wouldnt worry too much about updates or anything though. In all honesty some Galaxy Nexus models may not get all the updates immediately, but even a month late is far better than the 6 months that itll take the other manufacturers. As far as im concerned we have an unlockable bootloader, Android in its purest form, and Googles stamp of approval. Thats good enough for me.

Now lets just hope Verizon can let us get it.

GW has issues, plain and simple, if you want it badly you can root your phone
    which should be relatively easy
    Google still cares about their phone, and Verizon is REALLY not looking that controlling, they cud've demanded blockbuster and NFL redzone and any other of their crapapps
    Just breath man, breath
    Live2ride883 and Premium1 like this.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,281 Global Posts

Thanked by 2:
    WaistDownUnder likes this.

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

One app is excluded and you're speculating Google is giving up on the entire line and idea of a "nexus"? And we're not even 100% certain Google Wallet isn't being rehashed and allowed back on the phone yet. Let's not get the cart before the horse, at least until the phone is actually released.
    Rew001's Smartphone History: Tmo Dash --> BB Curve --> BB Storm(1) --> iPhone 3GS -->Droid Incredible --> Droid X -->Galaxy Nexus --> iPhone 5 --> HTC DNA --> Galaxy S4!!

I don't see this as "giving up" at all. It looks like to me to be an interative step by Google to let Carriers use the vanilla version of Android, and execute any tweaks they want to but still maintain the ability to get MOST of their development done by Google.

Companies typically reject large, radical changes, and there is no way that a hardware manufacturer or carrier will surrender turn over control to Google. So, smaller, more measured steps to help manufacturers see the beauty of just using the vanilla versions of Android is fine with me.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

My point wasn't that the exclusion of GW was so terrible. It's a lot of little things that don't look very promising.

My concern is mainly with this, as well as the Twitter conversation between JBQ and P3Droid. I'm still confused as to who is responsible for updates.

[HL]I only have some visibility over the builds that are prepared by Google, i.e. yakju. Everything else comes from Samsung and I don’t know what their schedules and release plans are. I can’t guarantee that flashing the yakju files that I posted would work on a device that originally shipped with yakjuxw, as I don’t have access to such devices. The hardware is supposed to be close, but I don’t know for sure that it’s close enough. JBQ[/HL]

If someone has found confirmation that Google is handling all builds that is great. I'm just cautiously worried given the info I've read.
    Local_Hero likes this.

here's what i'm worried about............ This f'ing phone is never going to be released. LOL
    Thanked by:
    Clancy3434, Z Fury and WolfSkull like this.

My point wasn't that the exclusion of GW was so terrible. It's a lot of little things that don't look very promising.

My concern is mainly with this, as well as the Twitter conversation between JBQ and P3Droid. I'm still confused as to who is responsible for updates.

[HL]I only have some visibility over the builds that are prepared by Google, i.e. yakju. Everything else comes from Samsung and I don’t know what their schedules and release plans are. I can’t guarantee that flashing the yakju files that I posted would work on a device that originally shipped with yakjuxw, as I don’t have access to such devices. The hardware is supposed to be close, but I don’t know for sure that it’s close enough. JBQ[/HL]

If someone has found confirmation that Google is handling all builds that is great. I'm just cautiously worried given the info I've read.
    I think it depends on where the problem lies. If it's in the Google GSM/LTE "Core" code (ie. yakju), they'll fix it, pass it to Samsung who will test it, then pass it to VZW, who will test it (presumably) and then push it out.

If the issue requires a Samsung build, then Samsung will fix their "branch" of the yakju (or whatever the LTE Google build name is) and will push that downstream.

Google will NOT be pushing out updates directly to this device. However, as the AC Editorial points out, it should GREATLY reduce the time for fixes and updates to come out because the work, presumably, that Samsung would have to do is very minimal because they are not overlaying a bunch of custom code on top of it.

So, no, Google will not be handling the "builds". It looks like that will be on Samsung, but they'll be using the vast majority of the code from Google for those builds.

Global Posts
    1,793 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Really? You're using the word panic? For a phone? Panic?
    ultravisitor likes this.

Where the heck is this phone. I am patient but by the end of today big red should give us a eta for a date. They still have half a month to release it and it is in stores. Just let us know that's all i ask heck qute the 22nd if you must or just tell us it's held up for next year if that's the case so i can make my mind up to skip it or wait.
    Regular lawnmower man...

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Must this be posted in every thread?

There've been several questions in this group about tuna vs maguro,
    but such questions were buried in the middle on long threads so I'll try to summarize in a new clean thread.

The Galaxy Nexus family is codenamed "tuna". Using fish names in
    relationship to devices isn't quite new, since in the past we've had
    goldfish (emulator), trout (G1), mahimahi (Nexus One), herring (Nexus
    S) and stingray (Xoom).

There are two actual Galaxy Nexus devices, codenamed maguro and toro.
    Maguro is the GSM/HSPA+ variant, and Toro is the CDMA/LTE variant.
    Toro is a bit fatter, hence its name.

In the source tree released yesterday, there are two directories
    called device/samsung/tuna and device/samsung/maguro. The former
    contains all the files that are common to both toro and maguro, while
    the latter contains the maguro-specific files. There's no
    device/samsung/toro in AOSP yet, that directory will get created when
    we release the exact code that actually ships on toro.

device/samsung/tuna contains makefiles as if it was an actual device.
    There's no such device in reality, but the abstraction is convenient
    for engineering purposes as it allows creating a common system image
    that works on both toro and maguro, even though it supports neither
    GSM/HSPA+ nor CDMA/LTE. This is only meant for engineering purposes,
    and the only real devices are maguro and toro.

Looking a little bit in my crystal ball, we'll be supporting toro in
    AOSP along with maguro, with similar downloads for proprietary
    binaries, and the whole process is tied to shipping toro. Be aware
    that my crystal ball is rarely more accurate than a Magic 8-ball, so
    you should take this with a grain of salt.

Personally, I prefer working with maguro, as supporting GSM in AOSP is
    easier than CDMA in my experience.

JBQ

sigh.. sometimes it would be nice to just e-slap someone.
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

It's the most Google-y phone you can get, even if you can't completely cut the carrier out of the equation. The end.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.
    Perfect Screen Shot Ad Free (App)
    Perfect Screen Shot (App)

im starting to believe this phone will never go out. just like the htc merge eh?
    ill keep waiting and see what happens on the 15th

Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Really? You're using the word panic? For a phone? Panic?
    Further clarification: for a phone that he has never used.

ROM
    Stock

actually, the director of android operating system user experience at google, Matias Duarte, in an interview has already stated that "...it's there (verizon) phone..." when asked when the gnex would be released.