Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree629Likes

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Default Re: Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

Quote Originally Posted by kbullock View Post
    Ok very good...now lets try this again

You keep saying they will brick his phone and now you are trying to show that they can disable a device. So good job lil buddy you are correct on the second part of that. However you cant prove Verizon will take such action or document them doing it anytime in the past in a like instance.

BTW...I do believe the Verizon Nexus passed the FCC.
    Should have highlighted what is germane. A disabled device, however disabled, is bricked. It's pretty clear that the SIM belongs to Verizon. They can disable it. Good luck trying to get a new one from Verizon. They can render the software useless. They have the MEID number and the SIM number. They know exactly were the device (person) is located. I have had direct experience with this issue before. I'm sorry for trying to help this guy out.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.

negotiate for a deal. if the shoe were on the other foot, vzw or bb will bend you over just bc it's their whim. it think this has struck a chord w/ so many bc there are very few instances in this world where the consumer has the upper hand. all power to the people. and fyi, keep jesus out of this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

Quote Originally Posted by dubya.t View Post
    except we had 4 managers trying to figure a reason NOT to sell this product to us when their system inexplicably said it should be available yesterday. We did not argue in the defense of the "broken" machine and let the 4 managers bypass away.
    then thats still BB's problem for not properly updating their system. maybe those employees dont deserve any sanction, but BB certainly deserves any penalty they will incur from verizon for selling the device early. again, not yours or the OP's problem to fix. lets say my company had a similar issue and we sold a product in advance of the street date becuase our POS borked, i certainly wouldnt expect the customer that bought it legitimately to return the item in question.

that and even if there were a problem in the system that allowed them to sell the phone, i would bet that there was some kind of internal memo or email sent out to the store's management not to sell the device that was probably either not seen or disregarded. again, not the OP's, or your, problem to fix

1. If returned, he should absolutely condition the return upon nobody getting fired

2. The OP knew exactly what he was doing and all the potential ramifications yesterday, and made the choice to get it. He made his choice, and that's fine - his choice. Those who dont agree with the "morals" of it, chose to NOT try to get one yesterday. They also had the last few days to complain about why they thought it was a bad idea. Good for them.

But shaming the OP over and over for 12 pages in this thread is really not cool. Let's not pretend that somehow between yesterday and today morality changed and it went from an "okay" act yesterday to now, suddenly today, it's the worst thing in the world.

Whatever he does is his choice.
    Phone Home.
    Thanked by:
    ReiMei 

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bworley50 View Post
    Should have highlighted what is germane. A disabled device, however disabled, is bricked. It's pretty clear that the SIM belongs to Verizon. They can disable it. Good luck trying to get a new one from Verizon. They can render the software useless. They have the MEID number and the SIM number. They know exactly were the device (person) is located. I have had direct experience with this issue before. I'm sorry for trying to help this guy out.
    No need to highlight because what you are attempting to do is fit a square peg into a round hole. This wasnt an unreleased or testing purposes only device it was in a stock room ready to go.

You are attempting to argue that Verizon will disable a device for what is essentially an internal Best Buy issue (ie not following their contract and selling the phone prior to street date). Quite frankly you have no proof the Verizon would do this and common sense dictates that Verizon wouldn't do this.

Feel free to keep trying tho...it is quite amusing to me
    Thanked by:
    OVurt 

My Wireless Device Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.

I.e...brick your phone.
    I really don't want to make a big fuss out of this fear you have for the OP. VZW will not step on the OP's toes. This issue has been talked about a number of times, and SWIY's iPhone being carrier locked is what you get for being part of the most secure wireless network in the United States. There's more to this than customer conveniance when it comes to cross carrier support for phones. VZW will not be held liable for missing data/hacks/breakins/leaks on a customer's phone, and thusly they have locked it and have legally gotten out of any liability by saying software alteration terminates their support for a customer's device.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

Last edited by dubge; 12-12-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    karn101 and Merc25 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    I wish I could just see what happened with the OP, instead of skimming through some of these ridiculous posts lol
    He is in FBI custody and being interrogated in a dark room under an intense bright light.

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    He is in FBI custody and being interrogated in a dark room under an intense bright light.
    LOL

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

No need to highlight because what you are attempting to do is fit a square peg into a round hole. This wasnt an unreleased or testing purposes only device it was in a stock room ready to go.

You are attempting to argue that Verizon will disable a device for what is essentially an internal Best Buy issue (ie not following their contract and selling the phone prior to street date). Quite frankly you have no proof the Verizon would do this and common sense dictates that Verizon wouldn't do this.

Feel free to keep trying tho...it is quite amusing to me
    A similar scenario happened to me. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Can I ask, Bworley, if your phone was actually bricked, or just threatened to be bricked? (Actually curious, not trying to make a statement)
    Phone Home.
    Thanked by:
    joker42179 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

No it didn't. First off a bricks is different than a disabled device. Secondly they're not going to go thru the hassle of disabling anyone's service. THEY DONT DO THAT. They can only do that with cause. And by the time they could legally prove cause, the phone is released. Sincerely, former Verizon Rep, distribution dept
    Thanked by 4:
    joker42179 and karn101 like this.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Can I ask, Bworley, if your phone was actually bricked, or just threatened to be bricked? (Actually curious, not trying to make a statement)
    It was not bricked. I reluctantly complied with their requests.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

So the device you got was from a retail location?

That device was sold to you by retail location?

When selling that device an employee of that retail location had to bypass their employers purchasing system in order to process your order?

And did the Best Buy/Verizon security ninjas hide shadows like in the movie Ninja Assassin?

Just wondering...

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    1. If returned, he should absolutely condition the return upon nobody getting fired
    Agree 100%. This is always a stressful season for employees of big name retailers like Best Buy. They're pushed harder and harder to sell more and more. To see someone fired for making your day would be awful. If there was any demand that I could make upon returning the phone, it would be for the employee to keep their job and not be disciplined for what they did. Nobody wants to see someone lose their job during the holiday season. That's not cool.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

When selling that device an employee of that retail location had to bypass their employers purchasing system in order to process your order?

And did the Best Buy/Verizon security ninjas hide shadows like in the movie Ninja Assassin?

Just wondering...
    The device was given to me by Motorola.

I skipped straight to page 24 on this one after reading the first and as a Police Officer for quite a few years I can tell you right now this is a consumer product and them selling it to you when THEY should have not has NOTHING that can blow back on you!!! I saw the word brick ... if they BRICK your phone that is on them and they are looking at a civil lawsuit for knowingly and maliciously disabling a product you bought in good faith. I would have returned it for NO less than $200 in store credit!!! Their mistake NOT yours my friend! This is 100% civil in nature and criminal law has NOTHING to do with it no matter what ANYONE might have you believe. Trust me the DA would laugh at this like I am!! =)
    karn101 and davey11 like this.

Soooo now we are all waiting on the outcome from the OP.....should be interesting!

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

The device was given to me by Motorola.
    So yes then it was exactly the same and/or similar scenario...oh wait its completely different?

Whoopsie daisy

I apologize if this has already been said. I am studying for finals and have enough reading to do so I've gone to skipping to the last page lol.

Maybe a good idea in addition to getting store credit, would be to ask to talk to whoever is jumping in BB's pants to get this phone back at Verizon, and tell them you want a date it will be released for everyone. If you do not like the response, hold the phone ransom.

I don't think Verizon would brick the device. But I think they certainly could find somewhere in their mulitpage "terms and conditions" to justify removing the ESN from their database. At least with a normal 3g phone, they could do that, I'm not sure if the 4g / Sim card will be the same, but I bet it would. Verizon has a track record of only activating devices for whose ESN's are in their system.

Best Buy sold the phone to the O/P. Verizon has no real obligation to allow that phone on their network. If VZW removed it from their database, it wouldn't brick the phone, but make it quite unusable for most purposes.

Heck, I think VZW, in their T&C's has the right to flat-out cancel service. Of course, if they do so, there is no ETF. I've seen reports of VZW doing this in cases of tethering (many years ago).
    Thanked by 2:
    bworley50 and DBVille like this.

Just dont let them dictate anything to you. If they threaten anything, just say have your lawyer contact me with an official demand, and how I have violated any laws or terms set forth by VZ. Whatever good/bad advice you want to take from these forums, i think the general consensus is no one will kick in you door to get it back from you, they should compensate you for your troubles, and at very least you get the phone a few more days while they get a legal notice delivered to you. Until then, enjoy the phone.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Just wondering...
    The bit about the employee bypassing their employer's purchasing system is how Verizon legally justifies disabling the device. It was unauthorized. The fact that the OP admits in writing on this forum that he knew it was unauthorized makes it indefensible. I'm not passing judgement, I probably would have done the same thing. Not an issue. The issue is they have asked for it back, which he has zero liability to do so. I would have brought it back because they asked me to. No big deal. Not passing any judgement. Verizon takes this stuff WAY too seriously. Only speaking from experience here. Trying to offer advice from someone who is actually been in a similar situation. Situations are distinguishable, yes. Bottom line, Verizon can do what it wants.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    RezRom

Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Best buys problem. Not your fault. I would not worry about any legal issues. Its a phone not a top secret army device. Best buy is just trying to fix there mistake to make it better for them. Until Verizon comes to your door or sends you legal documents I would just not talk to best buy. Your contract is with Verizon let them be the ones to ask for it back. They won't kill your phone without asking for it themselves. If they wanted it they would ask. Think about all the others sold. Did anyone call them? This store is just trying to fix a mistake they made. Don't worry about it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    E.T. 
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast