Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree629Likes

Default Re: Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

You know what you make a mistake you pay for it Any retailer will try to take advantage of you when they can. Best buy might get big fines from not only big red but even the fcc depending on the situation. hate to be like this but I would ask them how bad do they want it back and look into what the fine can be which I bet is huge. 10k maybe more I would not budge to return it even for best buy credit which I bet they will void out tell you tanks now **** off. If they want it milk them for every penny possible I am talking thousands not a 100. It does not pay to play nice with the big dogs just look at when Jeter's homerun ball was returned they should have kept it or sold it back for every penny. But no the jerk gave him nothing for it. If they offered it to sell back for 3 million they could have got a lot of money he got nothing for being nice. Anyway do what you want but imo tell them sorry unless they make a really sweet deal.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,319 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Phadunkin View Post
    bringing religion and god in this thread.. is just ridiculous. really can't believe the initial poster brought it up.. some things you just don't randomly start discussing on a forum full of countless views and mindsets.. religion is one.

especially when it's bogus.
    What is bogus?

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Quote Originally Posted by xsfspd View Post
    I skipped straight to page 24 on this one after reading the first and as a Police Officer for quite a few years I can tell you right now this is a consumer product and them selling it to you when THEY should have not has NOTHING that can blow back on you!!! I saw the word brick ... if they BRICK your phone that is on them and they are looking at a civil lawsuit for knowingly and maliciously disabling a product you bought in good faith. I would have returned it for NO less than $200 in store credit!!! Their mistake NOT yours my friend! This is 100% civil in nature and criminal law has NOTHING to do with it no matter what ANYONE might have you believe. Trust me the DA would laugh at this like I am!! =)
    There was no good faith. They can brick the device.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bworley50 View Post
    The bit about the employee bypassing their employer's purchasing system is how Verizon legally justifies disabling the device. It was unauthorized. The fact that the OP admits in writing on this forum that he knew it was unauthorized makes it indefensible. I'm not passing judgement, I probably would have done the same thing. Not an issue. The issue is they have asked for it back, which he has zero liability to do so. I would have brought it back because they asked me to. No big deal. Not passing any judgement. Verizon takes this stuff WAY too seriously. Only speaking from experience here. Trying to offer advice from someone who is actually been in a similar situation. Situations are distinguishable, yes. Bottom line, Verizon can do what it wants.
    Until Verizon contacts this individual, everything you have said is the equivalent of pissing in the wind. Just stop..
    Thanked by 4:
    cougmeister, ryanlc and Merc25 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

The device was given to me by Motorola.
    Now you're comparing apples to oranges. Different scenario different set of rules. OP has nothing to fear
    Thanked by:
    Merc25 
    Merc25 likes this.

I like how it's always Verizon's fault. If the world ends in 2012, I'm totally going to blame Verizon for it. They should've invested their money into shuttling everyone to an alternate planet.

It was not bricked. I reluctantly complied with their requests.
    Okay. I just want to say that I think your overall advice is really good because at least you aren't arguing your personal morals, but actually giving the OP a huge possible negative outcome if he keeps it.

That said, is it possible that in your case you were just being threatened into giving up your phone? I.e. it was essentially a "bluff" to get you to do what they wanted - knowing they had little legal recourse against you, they had to play hardball?

Obviously this is also a very different situation here in that it's just the local best buy calling, not verizon corporate security.
    Phone Home.
    Banned

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

Honestly stop talking like you have the faintest idea about this stuff. They can't disable the esn on that phone. If money was exchanged, its 100% fine. If there wasn't, as in YOUR case, then the rules are ENTIRELY different
    Thanked by 2:
    joker42179 likes this.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Best buys problem. Not your fault. I would not worry about any legal issues. Its a phone not a top secret army device. Best buy is just trying to fix there mistake to make it better for them. Until Verizon comes to your door or sends you legal documents I would just not talk to best buy. Your contract is with Verizon let them be the ones to ask for it back. They won't kill your phone without asking for it themselves. If they wanted it they would ask. Think about all the others sold. Did anyone call them? This store is just trying to fix a mistake they made. Don't worry about it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Verizon will call him first. That is when they will threaten to disable the device. If he complies, there is no problem. If he does not, then they will disable it.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

In legal terms, yes, there was.

They can also have the president of the company come down and punch him in the face.

As said before, they won't do it. Not without a court order.
    Thanked by 3:
    joker42179, Sentrix and Merc25 like this.

26 pages later and I still have no clue what the OP decided to do.
    Banned

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Okay. I jsut want to say that I think your overall advice is really good because at least you aren't arguing your personal morals, but actually giving the OP a huge possible negative outcome if he keeps it.

That said, is it possible that in your case you were just being threatened into giving up your phone? I.e. it was essentially a "bluff" to get you to do what they wanted - knowing they had little legal recourse against you, they had to play hardball?

Obviously this is also different situation here in that it's just the local best buy calling, not verizon corporate security for you.
    It was definitely a bluff, but in his case, where the phone was given without any kind of contract a la receipt, Verizon could say anything and block it
    joker42179 and Merc25 like this.

I just don't see BB opening every Vexus in their inventory to run the OTA before they sell every phone so what exactly does returning it for a software fix going to solve? Or has the inventory system of BB suddenly indicated all phones being sent back to Samsung?

As for returning the phone. Tell them first day you can get to the store is Friday. See if 12/15 or even 12/14 is the true release date then. Guessing the 3 phone calls came from the guy who sold you the phone or his boss who's rear is on the hot seat now with the store mgr & or district office.

If they want back before Friday, negotiate BB Giftcard and be first on list when they do finally get the phone released.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

The bit about the employee bypassing their employer's purchasing system is how Verizon legally justifies disabling the device. It was unauthorized.
    No its how they zing Best Buy for breach of contract...especially the nice pictures of the receipts with manual SKU's entered. Verizon wont mess with him or his device...they are chewing Best Buy's *** and thats it.
    Thanked by:

Verizon will call him first. That is when they will threaten to disable the device. If he complies, there is no problem. If he does not, then they will disable it.
    Except verizon never called him... Like others have said, most likely bb is just trying to cover their *** since they sold it before they were supposed to.
    joker42179 and Merc25 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

Guys stop feeding the troll. He has no idea what he is talking about.
    Thanked by 2:

anyone else notice that everyone is just posting the same over, and over, and over, and over, and over again?

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azdmelani View Post
    Thanked by:
    cougmeister and Iamdunne like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sURFNmADNESS View Post
    I just don't see BB opening every Vexus in their inventory to run the OTA before they sell every phone so what exactly does returning it for a software fix going to solve? Or has the inventory system of BB suddenly indicated all phones being sent back to Samsung?

As for returning the phone. Tell them first day you can get to the store is Friday. See if 12/15 or even 12/14 is the true release date then. Guessing the 3 phone calls came from the guy who sold you the phone or his boss who's rear is on the hot seat now with the store mgr & or district office.

If they want back before Friday, negotiate BB Giftcard and be first on list when they do finally get the phone released.
    I think the stores just used that as an excuse. The update would show up ota like the one leaked document showed.
    Thanked by:
    ManBearPig618 likes this.

Why are you girls arguing over if/ands/buts????? Get a life!
    dasny97 likes this.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Okay. I jsut want to say that I think your overall advice is really good because at least you aren't arguing your personal morals, but actually giving the OP a huge possible negative outcome if he keeps it.

Obviously this is also different situation here in that it's just the local best buy calling, not verizon corporate security for you.
    I didn't have to give up the phone because I agreed to supply the proof of shipment and the name of the employee at Motorola who agreed to send me the device at no charge. I refused to release that info to Verizon. I did, however, agree to give that info to Motorola's President of International Trade Secrets, as I was asked to join a conference call with Verizon's Head of Corporate Security and him to resolve the matter. This is a huge deal to Verizon. I think it's quite juvenile but it's what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by azdmelani View Post
    But look at all the insight into the social viewpoints of the various participants of the forum. Love it!

Makes me want to go get a Masters degree in Sociology and use this thread for my thesis.
    JoeUserTX and Premium1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by llasch View Post
    anyone else notice that everyone is just posting the same over, and over, and over, and over, and over again?
    True but the Rams Seahawk game is kinda boring so this is a nice distraction.

I didn't have to give up the phone because I agreed to supply the proof of shipment and the name of the employee at Motorola who agreed to send me the device at no charge. I refused to release that info to Verizon. I did, however, agree to give that info to Motorola's President of International Trade Secrets, as I was asked to join a conference call with Verizon's Head of Corporate Security and him to resolve the matter. This is a huge deal to Verizon. I think it's quite juvenile but it's what they do.
    Haha yeah at that point I would have definitely lawyered up.

The funny thing is, it really doesn't make sense to "protect" the Nexus at this point, because the "trade secrets" are kinda already out there in the form of the gsm nexus. This isn't exactly a secret device.
    Phone Home.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Quit trying to make it sound like you know what your talking about...your really bad at it
    Thanked by 3:
    joker42179, Sentrix and sc4fpse like this.
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast