Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
So the device you got was from a retail location?

That device was sold to you by retail location?

When selling that device an employee of that retail location had to bypass their employers purchasing system in order to process your order?

And did the Best Buy/Verizon security ninjas hide shadows like in the movie Ninja Assassin?

Just wondering...
The device was given to me by Motorola.

xsfspd

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I skipped straight to page 24 on this one after reading the first and as a Police Officer for quite a few years I can tell you right now this is a consumer product and them selling it to you when THEY should have not has NOTHING that can blow back on you!!! I saw the word brick ... if they BRICK your phone that is on them and they are looking at a civil lawsuit for knowingly and maliciously disabling a product you bought in good faith. I would have returned it for NO less than $200 in store credit!!! Their mistake NOT yours my friend! This is 100% civil in nature and criminal law has NOTHING to do with it no matter what ANYONE might have you believe. Trust me the DA would laugh at this like I am!! =)

llasch

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I apologize if this has already been said. I am studying for finals and have enough reading to do so I've gone to skipping to the last page lol.

Maybe a good idea in addition to getting store credit, would be to ask to talk to whoever is jumping in BB's pants to get this phone back at Verizon, and tell them you want a date it will be released for everyone. If you do not like the response, hold the phone ransom.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Verizon would brick the device. But I think they certainly could find somewhere in their mulitpage "terms and conditions" to justify removing the ESN from their database. At least with a normal 3g phone, they could do that, I'm not sure if the 4g / Sim card will be the same, but I bet it would. Verizon has a track record of only activating devices for whose ESN's are in their system.

Best Buy sold the phone to the O/P. Verizon has no real obligation to allow that phone on their network. If VZW removed it from their database, it wouldn't brick the phone, but make it quite unusable for most purposes.

Heck, I think VZW, in their T&C's has the right to flat-out cancel service. Of course, if they do so, there is no ETF. I've seen reports of VZW doing this in cases of tethering (many years ago).

smokatoke

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Just dont let them dictate anything to you. If they threaten anything, just say have your lawyer contact me with an official demand, and how I have violated any laws or terms set forth by VZ. Whatever good/bad advice you want to take from these forums, i think the general consensus is no one will kick in you door to get it back from you, they should compensate you for your troubles, and at very least you get the phone a few more days while they get a legal notice delivered to you. Until then, enjoy the phone.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
So the device you got was from a retail location?

That device was sold to you by retail location?

When selling that device an employee of that retail location had to bypass their employers purchasing system in order to process your order?

And did the Best Buy/Verizon security ninjas hide shadows like in the movie Ninja Assassin?

Just wondering...

The bit about the employee bypassing their employer's purchasing system is how Verizon legally justifies disabling the device. It was unauthorized. The fact that the OP admits in writing on this forum that he knew it was unauthorized makes it indefensible. I'm not passing judgement, I probably would have done the same thing. Not an issue. The issue is they have asked for it back, which he has zero liability to do so. I would have brought it back because they asked me to. No big deal. Not passing any judgement. Verizon takes this stuff WAY too seriously. Only speaking from experience here. Trying to offer advice from someone who is actually been in a similar situation. Situations are distinguishable, yes. Bottom line, Verizon can do what it wants.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Best buys problem. Not your fault. I would not worry about any legal issues. Its a phone not a top secret army device. Best buy is just trying to fix there mistake to make it better for them. Until Verizon comes to your door or sends you legal documents I would just not talk to best buy. Your contract is with Verizon let them be the ones to ask for it back. They won't kill your phone without asking for it themselves. If they wanted it they would ask. Think about all the others sold. Did anyone call them? This store is just trying to fix a mistake they made. Don't worry about it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Reactions: E.T.

whitecomet

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You know what you make a mistake you pay for it Any retailer will try to take advantage of you when they can. Best buy might get big fines from not only big red but even the fcc depending on the situation. hate to be like this but I would ask them how bad do they want it back and look into what the fine can be which I bet is huge. 10k maybe more I would not budge to return it even for best buy credit which I bet they will void out tell you tanks now piss off. If they want it milk them for every penny possible I am talking thousands not a 100. It does not pay to play nice with the big dogs just look at when Jeter's homerun ball was returned they should have kept it or sold it back for every penny. But no the jerk gave him nothing for it. If they offered it to sell back for 3 million they could have got a lot of money he got nothing for being nice. Anyway do what you want but imo tell them sorry unless they make a really sweet deal.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
bringing religion and god in this thread.. is just ridiculous. really can't believe the initial poster brought it up.. some things you just don't randomly start discussing on a forum full of countless views and mindsets.. religion is one.

especially when it's bogus.
What is bogus?

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I skipped straight to page 24 on this one after reading the first and as a Police Officer for quite a few years I can tell you right now this is a consumer product and them selling it to you when THEY should have not has NOTHING that can blow back on you!!! I saw the word brick ... if they BRICK your phone that is on them and they are looking at a civil lawsuit for knowingly and maliciously disabling a product you bought in good faith. I would have returned it for NO less than $200 in store credit!!! Their mistake NOT yours my friend! This is 100% civil in nature and criminal law has NOTHING to do with it no matter what ANYONE might have you believe. Trust me the DA would laugh at this like I am!! =)

There was no good faith. They can brick the device.

Reactions: JoJoCal19

st0ic_1

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The bit about the employee bypassing their employer's purchasing system is how Verizon legally justifies disabling the device. It was unauthorized. The fact that the OP admits in writing on this forum that he knew it was unauthorized makes it indefensible. I'm not passing judgement, I probably would have done the same thing. Not an issue. The issue is they have asked for it back, which he has zero liability to do so. I would have brought it back because they asked me to. No big deal. Not passing any judgement. Verizon takes this stuff WAY too seriously. Only speaking from experience here. Trying to offer advice from someone who is actually been in a similar situation. Situations are distinguishable, yes. Bottom line, Verizon can do what it wants.

Until Verizon contacts this individual, everything you have said is the equivalent of pissing in the wind. Just stop..

Tee312

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I like how it's always Verizon's fault. If the world ends in 2012, I'm totally going to blame Verizon for it. They should've invested their money into shuttling everyone to an alternate planet.

E.T.

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It was not bricked. I reluctantly complied with their requests.

Okay. I just want to say that I think your overall advice is really good because at least you aren't arguing your personal morals, but actually giving the OP a huge possible negative outcome if he keeps it.

That said, is it possible that in your case you were just being threatened into giving up your phone? I.e. it was essentially a "bluff" to get you to do what they wanted - knowing they had little legal recourse against you, they had to play hardball?

Obviously this is also a very different situation here in that it's just the local best buy calling, not verizon corporate security.

Last edited:

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Best buys problem. Not your fault. I would not worry about any legal issues. Its a phone not a top secret army device. Best buy is just trying to fix there mistake to make it better for them. Until Verizon comes to your door or sends you legal documents I would just not talk to best buy. Your contract is with Verizon let them be the ones to ask for it back. They won't kill your phone without asking for it themselves. If they wanted it they would ask. Think about all the others sold. Did anyone call them? This store is just trying to fix a mistake they made. Don't worry about it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Verizon will call him first. That is when they will threaten to disable the device. If he complies, there is no problem. If he does not, then they will disable it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon