Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you right now the guy is not going to get in any trouble. I work for BBY and if something like that happens, everyone there thinks the sky is going to fall and then when corporate does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, they completely forget about it. I was surprised it wasn't our Mobile Supervisor, he screws things like this EVERY SINGLE DAY, and nothing ever happens from it. I'd say keep the phone and don't sweat, really it's going to be fine

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
You are correct, it is now legally his, but Verizon does not have to legally give him service to an unauthorized phone on their network. Until the phone is to their standard and released, the phone since they arre saying it has a software bug(s) can be considered unauthorized and a problem for Verizon's network. Plus what is wrong with being a good person and returning it with asking BB to give him the first one once it is officially released? Yes a lot of people really want this phone but why be a total ass when BB is really trying to get it back due to a mistake. Have you ever done something you regretted and asked for a second chance or to take it back? That is what BB is doing right now. They made a mistake, why not give them a break?

lol. We all know Verizon's standards are crap. They've had no problems pushing out broken phones in the past.

Reactions: dadsterflip

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Only thing is, if verizon really wanted to they could blacklist the phone making it unusable. Not saying they will do that but that is a possibility.

Yeah no. Verizon wouldn't do that, because he didn't steal it, and he didn't obtain it through shady means. They can't just blacklist a phone because the retailer sold it earlier than Verizon wanted.

Reactions: Friend-O

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
This actually makes believe it won't be released this week, otherwise, they would not bother over 3 days. There is more going on behind the scenes, hence, no release date in sight.

Notice, I did get a flyer for $99, they did not call me to bring it back and pay $300, nor did I do anything wrong, they messed up.

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You are correct, it is now legally his, but Verizon does not have to legally give him service to an unauthorized phone on their network. Until the phone is to their standard and released, the phone since they arre saying it has a software bug(s) can be considered unauthorized and a problem for Verizon's network. Plus what is wrong with being a good person and returning it with asking BB to give him the first one once it is officially released? Yes a lot of people really want this phone but why be a total ass when BB is really trying to get it back due to a mistake. Have you ever done something you regretted and asked for a second chance or to take it back? That is what BB is doing right now. They made a mistake, why not give them a break?

Except the fact that Verizon already HAS Galaxy Nexus's operating on their network. No one is going to brick his phone and he has no obligation to fix Best Buys mistake.

Actually the only one with an obligation in this entire matter is Best Buy fulfilling the contract terms/penalties they agreed to with Verizon.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I remember that guy on androidforums who got the Photon 4G wayyy early and Moto/Sprint was threatening to sue. lol

Then again it wasnt a retail photon and was motorola's property.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This actually makes believe it won't be released this week, otherwise, they would not bother over 3 days. There is more going on behind the scenes, hence, no release date in sight.

Notice, I did get a flyer for $99, they did not call me to bring it back and pay $300, nor did I do anything wrong, they messed up.

Unless it is just bb and verizon said you were not allowed to sell this phone, you better get it back blah blah blah and so now bb is freaking out. I will wait and see but hopefully this week is finally when everyone can get a hold of one.

HunterOrHunted

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't return it, their fault for selling it to you. Or, evil alternative, put your old phone in the box the GN came in, give them the box and run like hell xD

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

They cannot make the argument that the device is unauthorized when there are thousands upon thousands of the exact same device currently using the network. It doesn't matter if they are in consumer's hands or not.

Also, trying to spin this into 'you're a bad person for not returning it' is BS. Best Buy sold it to him, and he is under no obligation to return it. Tough horse puckey. They can suffer the consequences for their inability to read.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Except the fact that Verizon already HAS Galaxy Nexus's operating on their network. No one is going to brick his phone and he has no obligation to fix Best Buys mistake.

Actually the only one with an obligation in this entire matter is Best Buy fulfilling the contract terms/penalties they agreed to with Verizon.

This.

Once best buy makes a mistake like this, the consumer is under no obligation to do anything to help them avoid contractual repercussions.

Think about it this way:

If Verizon REALLY cared that this customer has a Nexus, they would have already contacted him and offered to swap him into another device. They have not done so.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. No, you are under no obligation to return it. You paid for something they offered to sell you and they sold it. As for Best Buy, the contract for sale is over. Verizon could nix service for the phone, but if they cut it off, I'm not sure if you would have to keep paying them. That's up to the terms of whatever is in the service agreement.

Never have I seen a carrier and its sales partners go to such lengths to prevent a phone from getting into consumer hands. It's one thing if this was a prototype; it would make sense to make every effort to get it back. But it's not. It's a phone sitting in inventory. Sales reps I've talked to sound like they've been threatened with death or worse if they acknowledge its existence. Penalties for breaking street dates aside, which happens all the time, what the heck is going on with this thing? This can't just be a software issue. Something between Verizon and Google is seriously FUBAR.

Reactions: dadsterflip

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

It doesn't mean anything for the release date. This is Best Buy covering their butts because they screwed up and it is going to cost them. They probably got an angry email from their DM and RVP demanding to know why this SKU was sold, and told them to try and get it back. I would be shocked if Verizon has even contacted them.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

This has nothing to do with the release date. This is not verizon driving this, it is BB. Otherwise VZW would be calling him too. BB wants him to return it because they are in breach of contract, they dont care and may not even know when the release date is. So you cant make any claims about release date on this. BB would be doing this if the release was tomorrow if BB did not know the release was tomorrow.

It is possible BB has not even told VZW. It is possible the store manager has not even told his boss. He may think he is keeping it under wraps and saving his job by getting him to return it (lol) isnt that ironic since him asking to return is probably caused more press.

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. No, you are under no obligation to return it. You paid for something they offered to sell you and they sold it. As for Best Buy, the contract for sale is over. Verizon could nix service for the phone, but if they cut it off, I'm not sure if you would have to keep paying them. That's up to the terms of whatever is in the service agreement.

Never have I seen a carrier and its sales partners go to such lengths to prevent a phone from getting into consumer hands. It's one thing if this was a prototype; it would make sense to make every effort to get it back. But it's not. It's a phone sitting in inventory. Penalties for breaking street dates aside, which happens all the time, what the heck is going on with this thing? This can't just be a software issue. Something between Verizon and Google is seriously FUBAR.

The only party that FUBAR'ed anything was a couple of Best Buy stores and a handful of indirect Verizon stores...The individual employees who manually entered SKU's/overrode the system had to know something wasn't quite right when doing it.

Odds are they are getting the background stuff done to be able to handle thousands of software upgrades on the phones when activated and it will be released on the 15th.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have quite a few thoughts on this, so bear with me as I may ramble a bit. For everyone saying the OP did nothing wrong, in terms of nothing legally wrong you are all correct. But based on the discussion going on in the other Best Buy thread, the OP and the other AC member who purchased phones had a pretty good idea ahead of time that Best Buy was not supposed to sell the Nexus on 12/11. They and numerous others actively contacted Best Buys hoping to find a store or employee who was not made aware of the delay. Everyone can read the other thread and see posts by members either calling or driving to numerous BB stores trying to find someone unaware of the delay in release. In addition to that, a few members who are BB employees identified the 12/11 date from the screenshots as an in stock date, not a date on which the phone could be sold. Was it the fault of someone at Best Buy that all Best Buy employees were uninformed and not properly notified the Nexus should not be sold? Absolutely. But just because you CAN take advantage of the uninformed, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I have not seen the OP say the BB employee is demanding the phone back. BB is admitting they made a mistake and is asking him to return it. I have not seen anything from the OP indicating BB is threatening any action, they are simply asking him to do the morally right thing. It is obviously important to them, hence the numerous phone calls. This is a case of two wrongs don't make a right. True, he has no obligation to take the phone back, but most people would probably agree that returning the phone is the right thing to do. Are common courtesy and common decency really that dead in this me, me, me world?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I have quite a few thoughts on this, so bear with me as I may ramble a bit. For everyone saying the OP did nothing wrong, in terms of nothing legally wrong you are all correct. But based on the discussion going on in the other Best Buy thread, the OP and the other AC member who purchased phones had a pretty good idea ahead of time that Best Buy was not supposed to sell the Nexus on 12/11. They and numerous others actively contacted Best Buys hoping to find a store or employee who was not made aware of the delay. Everyone can read the other thread and see posts by members either calling or driving to numerous BB stores trying to find someone unaware of the delay in release. In addition to that, a few members who are BB employees identified the 12/11 date from the screenshots as an in stock date, not a date on which the phone could be sold. Was it the fault of someone at Best Buy that all Best Buy employees were uninformed and not properly notified the Nexus should not be sold? Absolutely. But just because you CAN take advantage of the uninformed, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I have not seen the OP say the BB employee is demanding the phone back. BB is admitting they made a mistake and is asking him to return it. I have not seen anything from the OP indicating BB is threatening any action, they are simply asking him to do the morally right thing. It is obviously important to them, hence the numerous phone calls. This is a case of two wrongs don't make a right. True, he has no obligation to take the phone back, but most people would probably agree that returning the phone is the right thing to do. Are common courtesy and common decency really that dead in this me, me, me world?
Apparently to 95% of people on this thread yes....

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
As an employee for one of the two companies in question I am furious at points, laughing, and all around this is more of a rollercoaster than a day's work. What do the majority here eat for breakfast?
The fantasy as I've seen it,
  • Verizon will deactivate or blacklist service of a device without the consent of the owner of the account.
  • Best Buy hasn't already gotten into trouble for this. (they have)
  • The OP is being pestered to make decisions that are not his own.

People, Verizon will NEVER blacklist a phone without the consent of the original consumer owner. If Best Buy can prove it was never sold then they can get it black listed. This is only possible in court. The question would be why would BB go that far? What are they facing if they don't get this device back? It's simple. They are facing the same action that was taken last holiday season with the Droid Pro. They refused to follow MSRP on printed material for the phone and it was removed from their shelves. The same action will be enforced with the Nexus. They really can't afford this and will most likely pay Verizon a sum of money to keep it on the shelves. A problem with court is that it takes time and money. They need it because VZW will not blacklist a phone owned by a store or company without proof of it being stolen.

I feel the OP made a great topic but how much credibility or dignity can he retain from sounding like a dirtbag to BB? He wanted to share his experience and plenty of people "wish" they could be in his position. At the end of the day BB should compensate the buyer for their time since this goes beyond the scope of a mistake. This does not mean they will do anything. The company I work for rarely gives freebies for making mistakes. You pay them for a product or service and the only person at fault here is the wireless consultant. The consultant will most likely get written up if they have a good track record, but who's fault is this really? Indirect channel of Verizon is supposed to notify every store in their area of changes to release dates and follow up in store with a visit. If your rep is not doing this I would suggest reaching out and seeing if you can't get their boss' number.

Keep your phone if it works and return it under your terms if you can't stand the bugs. BB already made their mistake and paid for it. VZW will not do a thing to you. A store in my region just recieved phones and the problem with these devices is not resolved. Any update will be OTA or on the backend of Verizon's network.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Well Im not sure what they will do for you but here is what they did for me... I too had bought a galaxy Nexus but I was not as lucky as you since you made it out the store.. Once it did not show up in the system for them to ring up they then called a verizon rep.. Problem being they already had ported my number and activated my GN.. They have done the following as compensation.

-Given me a Rezound while I wait for the release date
-I made sure that I still get my 14 days when the GN comes out
-I got my activation fee waved.
-free case
-Free screen protector
- A service credit of 50 bucks.
-Im now locked in for double the data just in case they dont release it till after christmas.