Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

Defconrock

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I would just be pragmatic and speak to whoever called you.

Tell them it's your only phone and that you would need a loaner and something for your troubles.

It's a lot to ask somebody to just give back something like a smart phone where half of your life is set up on it. So don't be a dick about it, but definitely know that it's on them to make it worth your while

Reactions: iastonish

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Loopholes? It's a civil lawsuit... they'd lose big time (or settle). Go to a Jury trial for the civil suit and they would be painted as this heartless, soulless corporation that needllessly put a man's life in danager because of a PR fiasco.

The device wasn't stolen. It was acquired legally (although mistakenly).

They would put the blame on bb saying they sold it without it being in their system, using a fake sku blah blah blah. Trust me if verizon wants to they will blacklist the phone. Not saying it is right but hey it's verizon and bb realized they screwed up and asked for it back. At least have the deceny to return something when it was clearly a mistake. I am sure you could wait an extra few days. I am sure they will compensate you somehow. But that is just me.

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
You realize they can't make you return the phone. Money has already traded hands so in every interpretation of the law, the device is legally your possession. They cannot legally force you to return the phone.

Reactions: crzycrkr

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This is plain and simply a negotiation. Best Buy has contractual and financial exposure as a result of selling the phone. You have an opportunity to mitigate their exposure by selling the phone back to them.

How much is it worth to them, I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't let them out of what is likely a breach worth tens of thousand of dollars for a $100 gift card.

Best Buy has deep pockets, make them share some of that with you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

odranoel

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
They asked you to take it back. Now you have an obligation to do so. I would do it. There is NO downside to returning it, but for the loss of use of it for a few days.

What obligation is that? He purchased the phone legally. It wasn't stolen goods. And of course there is a downside: his time and the opportunity cost of having purchased this phone over another.

I would probably start negotiations at a refund + a giftcard for the value of the phone. I would negotiate over the phone just to avoid taking a separate trip over there to negotiate. But I wouldn't hesitate to walk into the store with my phone; what are they going to do, physically restrain you and take it? I don't think that would go over too well...

Reactions: crzycrkr

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
They would put the blame on bb saying they sold it without it being in their system, using a fake sku blah blah blah. Trust me if verizon wants to they will blacklist the phone. Not saying it is right but hey it's verizon and bb realized they screwed up and asked for it back. At least have the deceny to return something when it was clearly a mistake. I am sure you could wait an extra few days. I am sure they will compensate you somehow. But that is just me.

They would both be held liable. Best Buy for requesting it and Verizon for executing it.

It's like hiring someone to kill your wife and he does it. You're guilty and so is the guy who did it.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to return this phone. You paid for it and they screwed up. It's not like you funded terrorism here. Keep the phone and be happy you have it early. All the people telling you to return it are probably just jealous they don't have it yet. Don't listen to them and just keep it!!! Or hell send it to me and I'll give you a brand new never used Rezound lol.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Keep it. You are not obligated to return it. You walked in during working hours and purchased it. It's yours.

st0ic_1

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Test the waters, see what they're willing to give you for the phone. I wouldn't accept anything under $1000. If they refuse to negotiate a buy back price, then tell them you're going to enjoy your unreleased phone and have fun dealing with Verizon.

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Another couple of considerations:

• If Verizon wants to kill the phone, I am sure their contract will allow them to disable it on their network. The software has not been approved will be enough. (Please, no whining about they don't do it to rooted phones.)
  • If Verizon wants to they could also blacklist you, so you can't get a contract with them - forcing you to another provider. If you need their service, like some of us, that is a problem.
  • Don't be surprised if this thread makes it to news media outlets.

Reactions: Premium1

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
What obligation is that? He purchased the phone legally. It wasn't stolen goods. And of course there is a downside: his time and the opportunity cost of having purchased this phone over another.

I would probably start negotiations at a refund + a giftcard for the value of the phone. I would negotiate over the phone just to avoid taking a separate trip over there to negotiate. But I wouldn't hesitate to walk into the store with my phone; what are they going to do, physically restrain you and take it? I don't think that would go over too well...
It is a moral obligation, not a legal one. I have no problem with the manner in which he obtained the phone. The vendor is asking that he return it because they made a mistake. I would definitely negotiate with them for stuff. That would be prudent.

Reactions: Premium1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech