Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Dude make your decision based on how YOU feel. I know that you came to this forum to ask for advice, but this thing has turned into a finger pointing, name calling, key stroking debate over morals and values lol. Either way you are going to go down as a bad guy if you:
A) return the device, some users here will hate you because you gave in.
B) Keep it all the other users will hate you because you didnt keep THEIR morals.

Point is do YOU. :)

Reactions: ReiMei

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
To illustrate that you don't comprehend English very well.

Ok very good...now lets try this again

You keep saying they will brick his phone and now you are trying to show that they can disable a device. So good job lil buddy you are correct on the second part of that. However you cant prove Verizon will take such action or document them doing it anytime in the past in a like instance.

BTW...I do believe the Verizon Nexus passed the FCC.

dubya.t

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
my $.02 and humble opinion concerning the moral obligations of returning the nexus (and this is coming from someone who is a store manager of a very well known chain retailer)

at my store, regularly receive product in advance of its sales date. we receive specific instructions to not sell this product until the scheduled release date. if we try to, a huge warning pops up in our POS to inform us the product is dated for a specific date. this warning is completely by-passable, and where i work, it doesnt even require approval of a manager to bypass it. even an entry level employee could if they wanted to. if i choose, as a salesperson, to bypass that warning, i would also expect to suffer whatever consequences came from that. if that means written discipline or termination, that sucks for me, but i also should have adhered to the POS warning. it seems like the best buy employees that sold this guy the nexus had to jump through some hoops to do it, and should have known that the phone wasnt supposed to be sold. if someone gets disciplined for this mistake, thats the breaks for not following the proper procedures that were in place. its not the OP's responsibility to fix Best Buy's mistake for them

except we had 4 managers trying to figure a reason NOT to sell this product to us when their system inexplicably said it should be available yesterday. We did not argue in the defense of the "broken" machine and let the 4 managers bypass away.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok very good...now lets try this again

You keep saying they will brick his phone and now you are trying to show that they can disable a device. So good job lil buddy you are correct on the second part of that. However you cant prove Verizon will take such action or document them doing it anytime in the past in a like instance.

BTW...I do believe the Verizon Nexus passed the FCC.
Should have highlighted what is germane. A disabled device, however disabled, is bricked. It's pretty clear that the SIM belongs to Verizon. They can disable it. Good luck trying to get a new one from Verizon. They can render the software useless. They have the MEID number and the SIM number. They know exactly were the device (person) is located. I have had direct experience with this issue before. I'm sorry for trying to help this guy out.

coloneljames

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
negotiate for a deal. if the shoe were on the other foot, vzw or bb will bend you over just bc it's their whim. it think this has struck a chord w/ so many bc there are very few instances in this world where the consumer has the upper hand. all power to the people. and fyi, keep jesus out of this.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
except we had 4 managers trying to figure a reason NOT to sell this product to us when their system inexplicably said it should be available yesterday. We did not argue in the defense of the "broken" machine and let the 4 managers bypass away.

then thats still BB's problem for not properly updating their system. maybe those employees dont deserve any sanction, but BB certainly deserves any penalty they will incur from verizon for selling the device early. again, not yours or the OP's problem to fix. lets say my company had a similar issue and we sold a product in advance of the street date becuase our POS borked, i certainly wouldnt expect the customer that bought it legitimately to return the item in question.

that and even if there were a problem in the system that allowed them to sell the phone, i would bet that there was some kind of internal memo or email sent out to the store's management not to sell the device that was probably either not seen or disregarded. again, not the OP's, or your, problem to fix

E.T.

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
1. If returned, he should absolutely condition the return upon nobody getting fired

2. The OP knew exactly what he was doing and all the potential ramifications yesterday, and made the choice to get it. He made his choice, and that's fine - his choice. Those who dont agree with the "morals" of it, chose to NOT try to get one yesterday. They also had the last few days to complain about why they thought it was a bad idea. Good for them.

But shaming the OP over and over for 12 pages in this thread is really not cool. Let's not pretend that somehow between yesterday and today morality changed and it went from an "okay" act yesterday to now, suddenly today, it's the worst thing in the world.

Whatever he does is his choice.

Reactions: ReiMei

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Should have highlighted what is germane. A disabled device, however disabled, is bricked. It's pretty clear that the SIM belongs to Verizon. They can disable it. Good luck trying to get a new one from Verizon. They can render the software useless. They have the MEID number and the SIM number. They know exactly were the device (person) is located. I have had direct experience with this issue before. I'm sorry for trying to help this guy out.

No need to highlight because what you are attempting to do is fit a square peg into a round hole. This wasnt an unreleased or testing purposes only device it was in a stock room ready to go.

You are attempting to argue that Verizon will disable a device for what is essentially an internal Best Buy issue (ie not following their contract and selling the phone prior to street date). Quite frankly you have no proof the Verizon would do this and common sense dictates that Verizon wouldn't do this.

Feel free to keep trying tho...it is quite amusing to me

Reactions: anon(79053)

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
My Wireless Device Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.

I.e...brick your phone.

I really don't want to make a big fuss out of this fear you have for the OP. VZW will not step on the OP's toes. This issue has been talked about a number of times, and SWIY's iPhone being carrier locked is what you get for being part of the most secure wireless network in the United States. There's more to this than customer conveniance when it comes to cross carrier support for phones. VZW will not be held liable for missing data/hacks/breakins/leaks on a customer's phone, and thusly they have locked it and have legally gotten out of any liability by saying software alteration terminates their support for a customer's device.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
poster.php

Last edited:

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
No need to highlight because what you are attempting to do is fit a square peg into a round hole. This wasnt an unreleased or testing purposes only device it was in a stock room ready to go.

You are attempting to argue that Verizon will disable a device for what is essentially an internal Best Buy issue (ie not following their contract and selling the phone prior to street date). Quite frankly you have no proof the Verizon would do this and common sense dictates that Verizon wouldn't do this.

Feel free to keep trying tho...it is quite amusing to me

A similar scenario happened to me. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

No it didn't. First off a bricks is different than a disabled device. Secondly they're not going to go thru the hassle of disabling anyone's service. THEY DONT DO THAT. They can only do that with cause. And by the time they could legally prove cause, the phone is released. Sincerely, former Verizon Rep, distribution dept

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

So the device you got was from a retail location?

That device was sold to you by retail location?

When selling that device an employee of that retail location had to bypass their employers purchasing system in order to process your order?

And did the Best Buy/Verizon security ninjas hide shadows like in the movie Ninja Assassin?

Just wondering...

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
1. If returned, he should absolutely condition the return upon nobody getting fired

Agree 100%. This is always a stressful season for employees of big name retailers like Best Buy. They're pushed harder and harder to sell more and more. To see someone fired for making your day would be awful. If there was any demand that I could make upon returning the phone, it would be for the employee to keep their job and not be disciplined for what they did. Nobody wants to see someone lose their job during the holiday season. That's not cool. :(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463