Will the phone be combatable with Isis?

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Or whatever verizons competing software to the google wallet system is. People are saying they kept google wallet off so that verizons system would not have compitition. So will the phone be compatable with verizons system or is it a hardware issue that means the phones Near Field chip will be uselss for verizons system?

Plenty of places around here have the near field readers. I would hate to miss out.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Timely post. I just read this story over at the Register, it's a good description of ISIS and upcoming services that we'll probably see here in the U.S. this coming year sometime:

FTA:
ISIS expects the first users to come on line next year, but mass deployment will follow as the technology gets more support from handsets, and the general public.

But it is a big win for Gemalto: ISIS will probably be the world's biggest Trusted Service Manager for some time to come, so Gemalto is now in a very strong position to mop up a decent proportion of other NFC platforms as they launch around the world.

Don't really know how well Google Wallet will compete, especially if MC & Visa put a lot of resources into ISIS. I guess time will tell, but it looks like NFC for payments is going to be a hot-ticket item for 2012...

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The GN has NFC technology already. the question is will the hardware be compatable with ISIS or not. IS the hardware on the GN propriatry or is it something any app can take advantage of.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The nexus has its NFC antenna in the battery, and chip onboard the phone. It's already NFC-enabled.

Edit: Question was answered in the post above mine. Regarding the compatibility: I would think that the protocol would be vanilla, such that any application written to access the signal could do so (irrespective of carrier). The whole point is to create a medium for multiple devices to implement, I would think. If it was proprietary to one carrier's devices then the other telcos wouldn't have partnered up with ISIS...

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Makes sense.

I just was not sure if Google pushed a propriatary tech into the phone that would not be compatable with some one elses payment system. I dont want to buy a GN and then without google wallet be up a creak when ISIS comes out to play.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense.

I just was not sure if Google pushed a propriatary tech into the phone that would not be compatable with some one elses payment system. I dont want to buy a GN and then without google wallet be up a creak when ISIS comes out to play.

I don't think that will happen. The hardware should be carrier/device agnostic, as phones won't be the only devices to implement this (tablets, maybe even smart-cards put out by the card companies?). The technology has been a long time in coming, but handing your card to a waiter or clerk will soon be a thing of the past, within five years I would think. Just wave your payment device over a convenient scanner at a table or counter, then you're done. Pretty cool to think about...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01