The Evolution of The Nexus

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
This is just my opinion. I don't hate or blame Google, VZW or anyone else for all this mess. It's business and as soon as customers start taking it personally they are going to feel slighted. No one is holding up the release of this phone to be mean. They have their reasons and we can agree or disagree.

I think what we're seeing here with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is an Evolution of the Nexus Brand and I believe a necessary one.

We have this perception of what a Nexus phone should be. Most of it is rightfully based off of the image that Google created the Nexus brand in and what the Nexus One was, years ago. The idea of a perfect, pure phone that is completely un-touched by the carriers. Sounds great and some would argue that Nexus One was.

But, in the US carriers are kind of a big deal, why? Because Americans are addicted to our subsidized phones and the carriers love us for it. A model like we see in the EU and what Google tried to accomplish with the Nexus One just doesn't work here on a large scale. The vast majority of folks won't buy an un-subsidized phone. Us phone geeks might, but we aren't a big market share.

We find Google between a rock and a hard place. They want the Nexus brand to be successful but they'll never sell them in large enough quantities unless the carriers are doing the selling and subsidizing the phones. But, if you do that, you are giving up some control and carriers love control

So let's move forward to the Nexus S.

Google compromised a little bit on the Nexus S here in the US, but not too much. Early on there was some Sprint branding in the Market and of course there is Google Wallet which is only officially on the Sprint version. The fact that Google Wallet never made it to the GSM version of the Nexus S is a dilution of the Nexus Brand. You could argue the reason it didn't get to the GSM model, I won't.

We have also seen a divergence in the upgrade paths between the WiMax and the GSM version. They don't get upgrades at the same time. I'm sure that happens for lots of really good reasons, reasons I would probably agree with. The Nexus S phones are not equal and Google is not in control of the devices the way the Nexus name implies or how they were with the Nexus One. But, the Nexus S sold fairly well, much better than the Nexus One did, lending credence to the argument that you need carriers for a phone to be successful.

Now we're at the dawn of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. We have all been drooling over a Nexus device on VZW since the Nexus One. Combining the awesomeness of a Nexus with Big Red's stupidly fast and reliable LTE network seems perfect, almost too good to be true.

However, Google was yet again faced with a dilemma. They know that a Nexus phone on VZW will expose the brand to many millions of people that wouldn't have thought about leaving VZW for any reason, growing the mindshare and giving consumers more choice. But, that can't come without compromise and I think VZW is holding most of the bargaining chips. Again, Google is forced to dilute the Nexus brand further by letting VZW controlling the launch date, installing bloatware (if you believe it's bloatware), excluding Google Wallet, probably greater control over the upgrade paths and who knows what else. It sucks, VZW sucks, Google sucks, you crapped on my hopes, dreams and everything important to me and I hate you for it, but I don't really.

How has the Nexus line evolved and doesn't evolution imply improvement? Well it isn't the same Nexus brand any longer, I think that much is clear. Your hope of a Pure Google Experience isn't going to happen on VZW. At least not in the image Google originally intended and the image most of us share. But, I'm going to say that’s OK, in fact I’ll take it one step further and say overall it's a good thing. Here's why.

Consider for a moment the purpose of a Nexus phone, to be a showcase for Android and a reference model for developers and manufactures. I believe that's still the case. Google compromised, yes, but not because they wanted to kill the Nexus image, because they wanted to grow the Nexus brand.

In the US at least, the original Nexus model can't be successful. Phones are still products and products need to be sold. Manufactures won't keep bidding to build Nexus phones if they can't sell them. Since I showed you that you need carriers to do the selling, compromise is a requirement and the only way you can make the Nexus brand thrive. We know this, we knew this back in the Nexus One days. People asked the question then 'How can Google possibly sell a phone without the carriers?'. They can't, at least not well.

The evolution is taking the Nexus brand from an ideal dev phone to consumer product. Google needed to commercialize the Nexus brand, give in a bit to the carriers to get the device in the hands of your average consumers in order for them to experience Android the way Google intended it to be.

I won't say if that's a good or a bad thing. I just believe it to be true. However, it's still a Nexus, at least to me. I think having average consumers picking a Galaxy Nexus over a RAZR or a Rezound in a VZW store does way more for Android than arguing the principles and pureness of a Nexus phone. An argument which is completely irrelevant because for those of use that care enough about those principles we can just unlock, root and change whatever we want about that phone. So long as that is the case, it's a Nexus to me. Yes, compromises were made and Google backed down, but I believe the core values that make a Nexus, a Nexus are still as strong as ever.

Just my perspective. I'm not writing this to do anymore the outline an opinion that I've been quietly forming for several weeks as we've waited for this device. Some will disagree, that's what forums are for and it's your right, provided it remains civil. I know the release of this device has been a pain point and caused a bit of tension as we all get more frustrated waiting for it.

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Things that don't effect the "Google Experience" on a new Nexus
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They only added two apps. (Which can be removed)
Replaced "Google" on the battery cover with "Verizon 4G LTE". (If your mad enough can replace this more than likely.)

Things that do
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Removing Google Wallet

And removing Google Wallet is debatable. I think some of you guys think too much into this, the brand is far from being diluted. It has no custom overlay, all functions that are not purely beta are there......

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Things that don't effect the "Google Experience" on a new Nexus
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They only added two apps. (Which can be removed)
Replaced "Google" on the battery cover with "Verizon 4G LTE". (If your mad enough can replace this more than likely.)

Things that do
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Removing Google Wallet

And removing Google Wallet is debatable. I think some of you guys think too much into this, the brand is far from being diluted. It has no custom overlay, all functions that are not purely beta are there......

Yes, I do think way to much about this stuff but it's just a phone at the end of the day. As long as I can keep that in perspective, I think i'm OK.

Wallet is dilution I think though. The device has the hardware for it but the carrier prevents Google from including the software. But again, doesn't matter. You'll be able to hack it on there if you care.

xt04

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Slippery slope man...

Sure adding two apps isn't a big deal, but its the principle. If they can ask that Google add two apps, whats to stop them from adding three? Four?

This article totally sums up the way I feel about the whole thing.

It's not just one thing that's troubling about the Nexus launch, it's several things in combination.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Slippery slope man...

Sure adding two apps isn't a big deal, but its the principle. If they can ask that Google add two apps, whats to stop them from adding three? Four?

It's not just one thing that's troubling about the Nexus launch, it's several things in combination.

If the apps were Amazon MP3 or some other third party app that doesn't give the customer some sort of tangible value with their service then I would say yes it's dilution. However there are a ton of customers that will use the BackUp assistant to move contacts over to their new Android device. And the MyVerizon app is a great way to keep track of your account. Neither requires a 3rd party service be involved or any additional money on the service. I think that's far from a slippery slope. Now if they started throwing in games, mp3 stores, etc etc like most of the other phones, mixed with their own launcher and custom options, then yes. It's diluted.

With 4.0 they are trying to merge the OS's, I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future there isn't even a 'Nexus' brand per say. Eventually I think Android will give you the option of which launcher to use even if there is a custom overlay. I smell it coming.

Anyone can argue if it's diluted or not, or the varying degree of a slippery slope. However if Google wants to reach the audience without the medium they need, they have to abide by some concessions. Now should they have left the apps off and let customers decide if they wanted them on there or not on a Nexus branded phone? Without a doubt yes! Should they have included Google Wallet? I think so, even if I didn't plan on using it. Would the Nexus have come to Verizon without Verizon getting it's way? Maybe, but I doubt it. Google wanted the customers, Verizon wanted the phone in exclusivity. They had to meet in the middle.

But that's the beauty of a Nexus device, unlock, remove what you want, add what you want, develop. We shouldn't have to do it but it's just the way it is, my opinion is just that my opinion, same with you it's your opinion, however never trying to figure out the why's or where it's going will drive you nuts. Most of these guys know what moves they are going to try to make years out eventually Nexus won't exist. Besides has Google even officially put down what the "Google Experience" means???

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Slippery slope man...

yeah, risky to give in to carriers, I can't disagree with that. I'm sure Google held it's ground somewhere otherwise we'd have VCast apps.

I'm not saying for one minute Google should give into carriers and I don't think they will. Pure Google is their differentiator and they can't give too much away if they still want to realistically be able to claim it's pure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs