Speaker on phone, really that bad?
12-20-2011 06:01 AM
- I know the Nexus was released today,and instead of asking questions, I should be out getting it, but I feel that I need to ask this question before I go ahead and get it.
The speaker for the speaker phone and audio playback.....is it really as bad as reviewers say? I only ask because I use the speaker on my phone about 2-3 hours per day listening to podcasts, music and such. As silly as it sounds, it is really high on the make or brake list of the phone.
Also, in this same realm, did the update that is being pushed out doing anything for it? I am just curious if it is actual hardware or just software. I know, with my Touchpad, when running WebOS, sound comes out of the speakers perfectly, but when I boot up the CyanogenMod based XRON ROM on it, it is rather awful and pretty much unusable. So, its obviously a software thing, not a hardware thing.
I don't mind waiting a bit to see if more users have more opinions on it, and worst case scenario, if need be, I wouldn't mind waiting until the Razr gets ICS, or at least the CyanogenMod version of it..
Thanks12-15-2011 09:33 AM
- I got the Galaxy Nexus with Verizon when it came out on Dec. 15th. I think the phone is awesome, espescially IceCreamSandwich. Unfortunately (and this really pisses me off) I will have to return this phone. The speaker phone is too poor. And I am having issues with clarity on the other person's end as well. This is a deal breaker.
A phone must be functional as a phone and this one disappoints. WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE A PHONE THAT WORKS GOOD AS A PHONE!!! ...where I can hear the person I am talking to clearly and they can hear me clearly. My wife continually says she hates talking to me on my new phone because I sound "robotic" and sometimes she hears weird annoying noise interference. At the beginning of a call sometimes she says I sound good and then it seems to happen around the same time that my screen blacks off she says I sound bad again. She is on a LG Octane with Verizon.
Very disappointed. I have been waiting a LONG time to upgrade and I finally did, and now I will have to wait longer.
I have been hanging onto an original Blackberry Storm. It was glitchy but it does have an excellent speaker phone and mic call quality. I rarely talk with the phone next to my ear. Always on speaker...not interested in getting brain cancer in 20 years...12-20-2011 12:35 AM
- Volume+ helps but the speaker volume is terrible I tried watching the same video on my nexus and had the same one playing on my wifes iphone 4s I had to hold the nexus right next to my ear to hear it couldnt even watch the video but my wifes iphone was loud and could be heard down the hall.12-20-2011 02:47 AM
- Maybe it's because i never use earbuds or because i wear ear protection while shooting, but the nexus is plenty loud for me, havn't missed even a txt... Idk i was worried when i was first buying it, but it's no issue for me... The camera though... Colors are ALL out of wack...12-20-2011 04:24 AM
- I'm the same as Thor Odinson. I listen the speaker a lot when I'm puttering around the house. By default, it's VERY low. When putting my four year old daughter to bed, we'll watch some videos or play some games before bed. You had to crank the volume down on my OG Droid. The Nexus is hard to hear. In fact, I don't have dB meter, but I'd say the full volume is roughly half of my OG. 2/3 at best.
I haven't tried Volume+, which I am going to install immediately.
Note to carriers and manufacturers. Signal and volume are FIRST priorities. Phones are thin enough. Now focus on function. In fact, if I had the option to trade for a substantially thicker Nexus XL with a booming speaker and good signal strengh, guess what? The phone is worthless if you can't get a signal or hear!
That said, I love this phone too much to give up. Bring on the software fixes!
Update: Installed Volume +
I'm at work, and can't do an extensive test, but I did a modest bump in the settings and notice a nice difference. It's a paid app, but only around $1.50... Well worth it IMO.12-20-2011 05:34 AM
- Samsung Android Phones
- More Samsung Phones
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Speaker on phone, really that bad?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD