The battery upon purchasing...

SCampbell27

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Should I let it drain all the way to 0, then charge it? Or should I charge it now while it's still running? I can't remember what you gents told me to do, but I'm def psyched to own this phone.

Any other recommendations?

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm charging it now for some more day use at work and will let it drop to zero tonight.
Doesn't matter too much.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
With lithium ion batteries you want to try to avoid letting them hit 0. They have a finite number of charge cycles from both dead and partial. Dead to full is a much smaller # than partial to full.

kjsmommy10

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I work for Interstate All Battery Center & it does not matter with Lithium Ion batteries. They have no memory effect. So you're good to go! :)

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read that you should let it run all the way down, charge it up and run it all the way down again so that Android can calibrate itself to get an accurate reading on battery life. It doesn't actually make the battery better or worse, it just calibrates the phone.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I work for Interstate All Battery Center & it does not matter with Lithium Ion batteries. They have no memory effect. So you're good to go! :)
No memory effect is correct, but they do have a finite number of charge cycles.

I thought I read that you should let it run all the way down, charge it up and run it all the way down again so that Android can calibrate itself to get an accurate reading on battery life. It doesn't actually make the battery better or worse, it just calibrates the phone.
Could be, but I've never let mine get that far down and its been just fine for me.

jlongjr27

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about cell phone batteries but with laptop batteries there is a finite number of charges, at least with my old dell. I have never ran into this problem with cell phone batteries.

One day my laptop wouldn't charge anymore eventhough it had 80% charge remaining and it would run the laptop on the battery until it died and it wouldn't charge anymore. I think that's because there is a chip in laptop batteries that monitor the battery life much more closely. I could be wrong though.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This is what I have always gone by. It's a few years old, so I don't know how much, if at all, this has changed.

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery.​

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I just charge it up and go. I've never concerned myself with the battery and never had one quit lasting as long etc. Of course I have a tendency to swap phones out ~14 months or so apart so maybe I'm not reaching out into the life span where it would be seen. So I would say if you plan to keep your phone 2 years or less I wouldn't worry much about it except not letting it totally die too often.

I've watched my battery on the Incredible since release and I don't have one drop longer or shorter since day one. It's died completely a few times and came on and off charger a ton depending on the situation and how much power I would need when I was gone from home. The only thing that changes by battery rate was undervolting / overvolting / overclocking it and swapping roms.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463