Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Default Anyone unimpressed with the screen?

I just got my Nexus and I now understand why people hate pentile. The Nexus seems more pixelated than my OG Droid, so I can't imagine what the pentile must have been like on a lower resolution screen. And it's especially noticeable with whites.
    Last edited by Poopai; 12-15-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Default Re: Anyone unimpressed with the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Poopai View Post
    I just got my Nexus and I now understand why people hate pentile. The Nexus seems more pixelated than my OG Droid, so I can't imagine what the pentile must have been like on a lower resolution screen.And it's especially noticeable with whites.
    Come on now, it's the greatest phone ever, and you HAD to have it!

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I would imagine everyone's eye may pick it up a bit different. My eyes are not too particularly sensitive to pentile, and this one is supposed to be better. Should know here in about an hour when my local store's UPS man runs!
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

I just got my Nexus and I now understand why people hate pentile. The Nexus seems more pixelated than my OG Droid, so I can't imagine what the pentile must have been like on a lower resolution screen. And it's especially noticeable with whites.
    I say, don't dwell on it. We knew this whole time it was Pentile and at least it's the better version. I think if you start dwelling on it, you will begin developing a complex about it.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

I love my screen, it looks great. No complaints here!
    Thanked by 3:
    BSG75, Nayners, sfbates and 5 others like this.

I hate Pentile displays, but I can't see any pixelation on this device at all. Looks perfect.
    BSG75, jhtheking and DrPancake like this.

ROM
    Full AOSP 4.2

I'm impressed. Very, very impressed. Two hours in, and I'm loving it. Can't put it down. Well, I did put it down to unlock the bootloader. But after that. . .

Quote Originally Posted by mechapathy View Post
    I'm impressed. Very, very impressed. Two hours in, and I'm loving it. Can't put it down. Well, I did put it down to unlock the bootloader. But after that. . .
    How do you unlock the bootloader?

And I love the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by mechapathy View Post
    You're doing it right!

screen looks fine to me, but then again I'm not looking for any pixelation. It's a phone, I'll use it for 1 maybe 2 years then on to the next one
    VZW Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    AT&T Samsung Focus S
    iPad 3 WiFi
    VZW JetPack Mobile Hotspot

ROM
    AOKP JB / Franco

Mine looked good out of the box but once I increased the brightness to roughly 75% (at the expense of battery life) it really popped for me. I'm pretty picky about my video/audio quality and have no complaints with this screen (after two hours, mileage may vary after a few weeks of staring at it)

i think its just you because this screen is fantastic

i just played with a G-Nex out at the Verizon store. it was very nice, well built, and incredibly thin. however, i wasn't blown away by it. the screen was nice but it didn't really blow away my EVO the way i thought it would. and my EVO screen seemed to be a tad bit wider (but obviously a tad shorter too). also, ICS didn't blow me away either in terms of interface.

the G-Nex was really nice and i will probably get one if/when it comes to Sprint - but after playing with it - my feelings of needing to rush out and get it are gone. i can wait.

Is it at least better than the Bionic/X2?
    I really noticed the pentile/pixelation on the Bionic screen.

If its an improvement from there, then I'll be satisfied.

I'm not seeing the pentile-ness of it. Definitely shut off the auto brightness and turn it to something over 50%.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Those that are seeing pixelation may just influenced by the knowledge that it is pentile. But this is not the same pentile as the Moto phones, and the pixel density gurus are saying that you should not be seeing anything more than on an iPhone retina display, it is that good. I played with it last night at my corporate store (they are not yet open here on the west coast for me to get mine) and I TRIED to see a problem but couldn't. I have been using the Rezound, which is an AWESOME screen and I am not worried at all about switching.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Screen looks great, but dim in comparison to my Droid X, and yes it's on max brightness.

Not a huge issue.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

There is a good video comparing the Nexus, iPhone and Galaxy SII screens on youtube,

While there was a very slight benefit to the iPhone's retina display on text (when viewed VERY close), the Galaxy screen beat the others in just about every area.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I'm not seeing it either, beautiful display!

Yes, the pentile-ness is visible if you look very closely, but it's a MUCH less annoying look than the Bionic, or other pentiles that I've seen. This sort of thing usually drives me nuts, but so far I think I won't mind it. Sure I'd prefer a full RGB pixel setup, but this screen still looks great to me!

I notice the pixelation only on very light colors and whites. To me it just pretty much looks like I had greasy fingers and touched it there (even though I didn't on either account). I did come from an LCD though in the Thunderbolt.

I usually pick dark wallpapers and themes though so I'm not too incredibly concerned.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Next to iphone4, an incredible 2 and a tbolt, this screen looks better to me and everyone else here at work today.

I turned off the auto-brightness, it's too dim for me.

There will always be people who are unimpressed with anything, and isn't it funny how they are always the most vocal. Mine is awesome!
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Wait a second..........You bought a phone with a bad GPU, a phone that is outdated, with Unimpressive camera, and a phone that is cheap and ugly? I am perplexed.

I've felt robbed ever since I saw it was underclocked and ever since saw how [HL]bad the GPU[/HL] was, and just recently when [HL]I saw how unimpressive the camera is[/HL].
    Quad-core is too close now. [HL]To buy the Nexus is like to build a fire just before the sun comes up[/HL].

Would have really liked a Nexus, but I think I'm going to wait for the Padfone which was just said to come in February with quad-core and a tablet dock.

If the Nexus came with 1.5ghz (I know the 4460 is rated for 1.5ghz and I can clock it to that, but rooting is too bothersome because I can't update with it) and a competitive GPU, I'd get it, but that not being the case and it being rather [HL]cheap and ugly[/HL] make me lean towards waiting. Also, megapixels do matter. The 5 MP pics don't look anything special, and I like to zoom around my pictures. I'd rather have more MP than a quick shutter.
    Thanked by 2:
    greydarrah likes this.

Love the screen. Responsive and great in bright light.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast