Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jlongjr27
  • 3 Post By KoukiFC3S
  • 1 Post By ultravisitor
  • 1 Post By pauldroidr2d2
  • 1 Post By LLcdPH
  • 3 Post By ultravisitor
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    So it looks like there are 5 verizon apps preloaded.
    My Verizon Mobile, Verizon Login, Videos, VZ Backup Assistant and VZWAPNService. Not sure what that last one is.

    Well I forced closed those apps, Disabled them and rebooted. Didn't see any side effects except for they are no longer in the apps drawer. They also didn't automatically startup after a reboot.

    I like not having to root to disable apps. Looks like you can disable any and all apps on the phone including system apps, so be careful.
    Holsum likes this.
  2. #2  
    Vance14's Avatar

    Posts
    756 Posts
    Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    What is the disable process?
  3. #3  
    ShiZero's Avatar

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Carrier
    KaosGingerbread (CM7)

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Well I forced closed those apps, Disabled them and rebooted. Didn't see any side effects except for they are no longer in the apps drawer. They also didn't automatically startup after a reboot.
    That's not a bug. It's a FEATURE!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    To disable apps go into settings, apps, all and click on the app. You will see a disable button and a warning will come up after you click on it. Disable it and force close it and the app shouldn't startup anymore. It also removes the icon from the app drawer.
  5. #5  
    KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Android Connaisseur

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,839 Global Posts

    Default

    I only disabled the vzn backup. I might still want to use my Verizon to pay my bill.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiZero View Post
    That's not a bug. It's a FEATURE!
    I know. It's a really nice feature and one that will surely be disabled on other non nexus phones from vzw, lol.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    I only disabled the vzn backup. I might still want to use my Verizon to pay my bill.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Yeah, some people might want to keep it enabled. I am on a business account so I can't manage much on the account from the vzw app.
  8. #8  
    iBowToAndroid's Avatar

    Posts
    705 Posts
    Carrier
    stock

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by jlongjr27 View Post
    So it looks like there are 5 verizon apps preloaded.
    My Verizon Mobile, Verizon Login, Videos, VZ Backup Assistant and VZWAPNService. Not sure what that last one is.

    Well I forced closed those apps, Disabled them and rebooted. Didn't see any side effects except for they are no longer in the apps drawer. They also didn't automatically startup after a reboot.

    I like not having to root to disable apps. Looks like you can disable any and all apps on the phone including system apps, so be careful.
    1. There's only 2 VZW apps - My VZW and BUA. Videos is Google, and the other two are system apps that you don't wanna touch.

    2. You can't disable ANY app, but the majority can be
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Is it worth disabling the backup assistant? Didn't know if it took much running all the time.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    What on earth makes you think Videos is a Verizon app? That's a Google app.

    I would be careful about disabling the system apps.
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
  11. #11  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,654 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    I only disabled the vzn backup. I might still want to use my Verizon to pay my bill.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    That's what I did too.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Jet300 likes this.
  12. #12  
    LLcdPH's Avatar

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    This might seem like a crazy question, but how do you re-enable apps once they've been disabled? I disabled News and Weather and now find that it's needed by Alarm Clock Plus to display the weather.

    UPDATE: Just answered my own question. If you go to settings-device-apps and then select "all", you'll find disabled apps at the bottom of the list. You can re-enable them there.
    trmoney24 likes this.
  13. #13  
    hyperdude's Avatar

    Posts
    318 Posts
    Carrier
    4.0.4 leak

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    What on earth makes you think Videos is a Verizon app? That's a Google app.

    I would be careful about disabling the system apps.
    I saw in at least one review the Videos app was disabled because the icon is red - i.e. must be a Verizon app.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Good grief. As if Verizon owns the color red.
  15. #15  
    terrain's Avatar

    Posts
    582 Posts
    Global Posts
    668 Global Posts

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Good grief. As if Verizon owns the color red.

    perhaps you missed the memo.... but yeah verizon owns red. att owns blue and sprint owns yellow. Tmobile had the r
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Yeah the Video app isn't a Verizon app. If you open it, it has the same visual layout as the youtube app.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    I dont plan on removing any of these apps.. but if I was going to.. I would probably use the new uninstall method of dragging and dropping in the app drawer.. does this not work? or are people to lazy to do it the new way and are disabling like this is android 2.0 or something?
  18. #18  
    cosmo36's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Carrier
    ED01

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Hmmm. When I go into any of my apps, there is no "disable" button. There is a forceclose and uninstall button, but no disable. My version is 4.0.2, and I'm not rooted. What am I missing???
  19. #19  
    GMC MaXx's Avatar

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Carrier
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    I dont plan on removing any of these apps.. but if I was going to.. I would probably use the new uninstall method of dragging and dropping in the app drawer.. does this not work? or are people to lazy to do it the new way and are disabling like this is android 2.0 or something?
    The uninstall option is not available for the VZW apps.
    There you go. You learned something today.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by GMC MaXx View Post
    The uninstall option is not available for the VZW apps.
    There you go. You learned something today.
    lol thx

    I thought everyone said pre-launch the apps were removable.. I just assumed it was through the standard method of removal.
  21. #21  
    KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Android Connaisseur

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,839 Global Posts

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Anyone manage to disable Google Books and Earth?

    When I reboot, the apps are enabled again.
  22. #22  
    Hosehead's Avatar

    Posts
    270 Posts
    Global Posts
    579 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP 25/Imoseyon lean 2.2

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Anyone manage to disable Google Books and Earth?

    When I reboot, the apps are enabled again.
    Books seems to be remaining disabled for me.
  23. #23  
    CRKhead's Avatar

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Carrier
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    I use ChompSMS so I tried disabling the "Messages" app so it wouldn't show up in the list of apps when I hit the SHARE button... The icons for Chomp and the stock SMS app are very similar, which is why I wanted it out of the way... The side effect? You can still send messages with no issue... You just wont receive ANYTHING...
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Disabled Verizon preloaded apps

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    What on earth makes you think Videos is a Verizon app? That's a Google app.
    Quote Originally Posted by xier View Post
    perhaps you missed the memo.... but yeah verizon owns red. att owns blue and sprint owns yellow. Tmobile had the r
    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Good grief. As if Verizon owns the color red.
    LOL, yeah I saw red and thought must be a "Big Red"

    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvp1OCJbqt8[/YT]

Posting Permissions