Anyway to separate notification volume from call volume?

callmebob

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Ringtone and Notification Volume Question

I like to turn off notifications when I go to bed, but I leave the ringtone on for emergencies. It appears that ICS has tied the two together, unlike previous builds, so I can't turn notifications down without turning off the ringtone. Any way to change this?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It seems that the Notification volume is tied to the Ringer volume on the Nexus. When one is raised, the other is also. This is a pretty annoying issue for me unless I am missing some setting.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to set the volumes individually?

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused. You mean raising the "ringer" volume raises the volume for emails and SMS, etc?

Is it not like that on all Android devices? It's like that on my Incredible and my wife's Ally and Enlighten...

callmebob

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm confused. You mean raising the "ringer" volume raises the volume for emails and SMS, etc?

Is it not like that on all Android devices? It's like that on my Incredible and my wife's Ally and Enlighten...

On my OG and on my Incredible there were separate volumes for both Notifications (Email, SMS, Voicemail etc..) and the Ringer. On ICS they are combined. I use my cell phone as a home phone so I need to have the ringer on when I go to bed in case someone needs to get a hold of me in an emergency or whatever. I used to have an app called Sound Manager that automatically turned off my Notifications at a preset time at night, leaving my Ringer on so that I could receive calls when I'm asleep, but I wouldn't be woken by Gmail, regular email or SMS messages. With the Nexus there is no way to turn down notifications and still have the ringer work without opening each app and changing the ringtone for each to silent every night. That is inconvenient and I hope there is a workaround.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to know how you were changing the notification volume independently of the ringer volume on the Incredible without the aid of an app. I cannot. And why can't you just use that same app?

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
it's a check box in the sounds setting on 2.2/2.3, but there's no box on 4.0...

i'm in the same boat. i used sound manager to schedule notifications to silence at night and turn back on when i left for work.

hope there's a way to fix this soon... :(

Reactions: Revolutionary

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This is present on a lot of Samsung devices. Most phones either allow you to do them independently or check a box so that they are the same. Maybe it's just part of sense or something to let you choose. Idk. Not surprised to see this happen.

Rabble rabble rabble.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow, my last day with this Dinc and I learn something new about it... Never even went into that setting before!

Now I'm kinda steamed that I can't do it on the Nexus, as that would be really handy... :-\

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Already did. No go, but thanks.

Agreed - Audio manager provides a place to adjust the two volumes independently, but the notification one has no "handle" to grab and adjust it. Only the ringer volume can be adjusted, and the notification volume just moves along with it.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Can't have seperate notification sounds?

Has anyone figured out a way to change the text message sound? All I see is an option for notification sound so the sound I get when I get new emails will be the same sound when I get text messages, I have always had more options on pervious Android phones.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't have seperate notification sounds?

I figured it out, seems everything in ICS takes extra steps to do which shouldnt be the case.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Can't have seperate notification sounds?

I am pretty sure it is the same as on other devices. Go into the app settings you want to change and select notifications

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Ring volume can not be separated from Notifications?

Ok, in gingerbread, I could separate the ringer volume from the notification volume. This was useful because I am on call 24/7 and need to be able to accept calls in the middle of the night. However, I dont want my phone making noise every time I get an email all night long. ICS no longer lets you adjust them separately!!! So now I either have full blast, or miss calls.

Does any one know a work around for this? I cant believe there is no way to separate the two.