Pixelated Caller ID Pictures

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
All of my pictures in my contacts are from google plus.
When someone calls the picture gets huge and it looks awful.
I wouldn't mind going through and adding other pictures from my gallery as contact photos. Is that possible? I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Anyone know?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I would like to add that I made that entire post with the new voice recognition on ice cream sandwich. Works awesome.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
All of my pictures in my contacts are from google plus.
When someone calls the picture gets huge and it looks awful.
I wouldn't mind going through and adding other pictures from my gallery as contact photos. Is that possible? I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Anyone know?
For manually using gallery photos as contacts photos, open People, select the contact, menu-dropdown -> Edit, tap their photo. Should come up with a menu on what to do to it (delete, take new photo, choose from gallery)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Google Employee:

The icons used in Google Contacts used to be a relatively low resolution, more of a thumbnail really. Those are the pictures that the phone pulls from first. There are a couple of ways you can bring higher resolution pictures in for your contacts.

1) Use your own high resolution photo. You can do this by opening a contact in the People app, tapping the menu, selecting Edit, then tapping on the photo icon. You'll be offered a choice to either take a photo right then, or pick a photo you've already got on your phone from the Gallery app.

2) Sync your contacts with Google+. If you and your contacts use Google+, you can launch the Google+ app on Android and set it to sync contacts from the app's settings. If your contact has a high resolution photo for their portrait in Google+ it'll get sync'd to your phone. Note that the initial contact photo sync from Google+ takes a little while to finish.

(Advanced note on #2: I was just playing with this a couple of days ago and noticed that the initial sync with Google+ prioritizes syncing a contact that you happen to be looking at. For example, if you're syncing 200 contacts but go look at your best friend immediately, it'll pull down your friend's photo right then and there before working on the rest of your contacts.)

Later in the thread:

Higher resolution pictures in google.com/contacts is something that the Contacts Team is considering, and I double-checked that they're aware of this feedback from the public -- they are. Thanks everyone!

Source.

Reactions: TerryMasters

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Meh. Didn't feel like revamping all my contact pictures. Guess I am.

Upshot? I own the Galaxy Nexus... on Verizon.

Win.

*customized tapatalk signature*

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Bummer for me. I have to use Lotus Notes Traveler thanks to my companies relationship with Lotus Notes. The Traveler application has its own calendar and email applications that are used instead of the stock calendar and email applications. It does, however sync contacts with the built in application, and provides a means for editing contacts outside of the contacts (People) app.

I don't have a lot of contact photos assigned - but in order to edit the contacts it appears that I have to use the Traveler app to do so. This app apparently has about a 10x10 pixel image capacity, so even when I pick a photo from the gallery, it still gets resized into pixel oblivion.

I created one test contact with the people application, and that one does create a reasonable image quality using a photo from my gallery.

Martavious

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This is a long standing issue with Google Contacts. Google keeps a thumbnail image for contacts and that's what your phone will use. Had same issue with iPhone since I only use Google for my contacts. Surprising that Google still has not fixed this issue after all this time.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
can't believe this is still an issue. Why doesn't google get that people want 1 integrated solution. Why should i have to go through my address book and individually set contact photos. FAIL.

Dracoir

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Google Employee:

Later in the thread:

Source.

Rather then rendering high-res photos in the phone app, perhaps all resolution images can be displayed as an optional thumbnail, rather than taking up half the phone real estate. Users can then configure the phone app to show either high res (large) or low res (thumbnail) images. iPhones handle this well. Thankfully, I have a Nexus 4. ;-)

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Is this still an issue?
I recently reset my phone and braced for the process of re-applying the high-res versions to my contacts. I found that if I simply tapped the picture in the newly synced contacts and waited about 1.5 seconds, suddenly the high-res version appeared!

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Is this still an issue?
I recently reset my phone and braced for the process of re-applying the high-res versions to my contacts. I found that if I simply tapped the picture in the newly synced contacts and waited about 1.5 seconds, suddenly the high-res version appeared!
no its not. this was an issue back on ICS (when this post was made) but since the JB update, it should show high res images now.
but if you had low res contact images before the update, they will still be low res. you have to go back and add/change the photos to get them to show up. i took a day and did this for all my contacts (usually from some random FB picture) and haven't had an issue since. it was a pain, but if it bothers you that much (it did me) then it is totally worth it.