Is This Normal?

BringMeBack9801

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up the G-Nex today and I really do love it. One thing though that I'm wondering about though: the white colors on my OG Droid looked, well, white. The whites on the Nexus appear to be more of a gray color, like an off white, even when the screen brightness is cranked up. Is something wrong with my device or is this the way it looks to others as well? Any help is appreciated, because i'm debating on exchanging it for a new one at this point.

DrPancake

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
its a different kind of screen. i think i know what your saying if i look really hard at mine, but, think ur just being anal about it :p

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It's most likely due to the Pentile display. The whites aren't very white, but it doesn't seem to detract from the experience from the little time I've used the Nexus.

BringMeBack9801

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm just used to the LCD screen on the OG. I'm also noticing the icons look slightly blurry on the home screen, but not necessarily in the app drawer. I think I'm being paranoid lol.

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
nope. not you. i do see a bit of blur as well.. i think we are holding the phone too close to us.. could be wrong, but if i hold it back a bit it seems less blurry...

sorry to digress but, between the lag with the keyboard, timing between landscape to portrait, boosting the brightness level to get a "true" white, and the low speaker volume....

might just go back to my droid x..

NOT HAPPY :(

going to run the phone until the return date... hopefully some ota's might roll out..

Last edited:

SammyRocker5150

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My droid x has been STARING at me all day! Why don't I get reception it asks.

I was on the fence between nexus and razr. Ive been a huge fan of Motorola Droid products, most of them are excellent! I was actually impressed once I brought my nexus home. I was skeptical about alot of things. Yes the build quality isnt that extra 10% you get in a motorola, nor is the call quality. However they were both better than expected. In fact, for me, the whole phone is better than expected.

My Droid X will retire to the 'Phone Hall of Fame" for me. It really could have lasted me another year, especially with ICS Roms in the Alpha stage over at rootzwiki.:cool:

drwatz0n

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the screen really isn't accurate in regards to white colors. That being said, often times backgrounds appeared to have a textured look (as someone mentioned over at XDA, it's more of a "screen door" effect), which isn't necessarily a negative; most of the time it looks pretty decent. That being said, there are drawbacks to any screen technology, and this particular issue is a part of this type. Although, we do get incredibly deep blacks, which makes the notifications/status bar and navigation buttons appear as part of the device, not the screen!

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
This blue hue has me concerned, but not a deal breaker. I would've expected many bloggers to bring this issue up, since it is very apparent, at least on my display. As far as the screen door effect goes, I can only see it when the screen dims for timeout, so that doesn't concern me whatsoever. I'm curious if a few of us just have bad displays?

Local_Hero

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
It's most likely due to the Pentile display. The whites aren't very white, but it doesn't seem to detract from the experience from the little time I've used the Nexus.

My Nexus S also has a pentile display and side by side with the GNex the NesusS ha noticeably brighter whites.

I don't think it's the pentile's fault for this.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus S also has a pentile display and side by side with the GNex the NesusS ha noticeably brighter whites.

I don't think it's the pentile's fault for this.

I will agree with this one, I had a Droid BIONIC and while that had its own issues with Pentile displays, it had no issue displaying whites.

While I can see that this would be a major concern for most people I went to the store yesterday to play with both this and the Razr and I thought this had a better screen regardless of the "greying" effect. The Razr screen was WAY to saturated in my opinion and came off too green. It is going to come down between pros and cons honestly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800