Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Foyt20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Not getting mail automatically

    I've never had a smartphone where I manually had to refresh my AOL mail like I do with the Nexus. When I go into the mail app, it only then refreshes even though I have it set to refresh every 10 minutes. As a result I never get the indicator light showing new mail since it's not getting it automatically.

    Am I missing a setting?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    Go into the main settings for the phone, not the email app, under Accounts and make sure your email address is set to sync.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    Thanks Bob, but unfortunately I just checked that and it is set for synch. When I actually go into the app it immediately refreshes the email, but not before then. So I never see an indicator light for new mail or an indication in the pull down bar at the top.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    I'm wondering if I try to delete the account and reinstall it if that might work. But I can't see how to delete an account in email.

    Any ideas? Thanks.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    my gmail didn't refresh overnight either (neither of my 2 accounts). it did work during the day
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    I should note that I'm using AOL and still no auto refresh or indicator lights.
  7. #7  
    JoeUserTX's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    4.0.2

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    I should note that I'm using AOL and still no auto refresh or indicator lights.
    If all else fails, can you set up AOL mail to forward to your Google mail account? Almost appears that it's an issue with the third-party mail, not with the Nexus app.

    I use Verizon for my e-mail, and the Nexus email app works perfectly fine sync'ing up with that account, as well as my Google account.

    Edit: I haven't checked yet, but I don't know if the K9 email app works with ICS. I used that email client on my Fascinate, and really liked it. If it does work, then an alternative would be to try using K9 instead of the native email client...
  8. #8  
    dimsdale's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    ROM
    CM9 (4.0.4)

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    I've never had a smartphone where I manually had to refresh my AOL mail like I do with the Nexus. When I go into the mail app, it only then refreshes even though I have it set to refresh every 10 minutes. As a result I never get the indicator light showing new mail since it's not getting it automatically.

    Am I missing a setting?
    Probably not missing as setting, but misconfigured it in the first place. If you set it up correctly, gmail will default to "push" configuration for getting you the email.
  9. #9  
    wheezy's Avatar

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    I have seen it show the wrong account. I can be in my gmail, but it shows my hotmail emails. You can't open anything, but thats what it shows. A reboot usually resolves it. I have also had to remove and re add an account. Good luck
  10. #10  
    Foyt20's Avatar

    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    Probably because you are the last person using AOL mail

    good luck. God Speed.

    Try the forwarding until you can get everyone your gmail account, and then move on.
    wheezy likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    Quote Originally Posted by dimsdale View Post
    Probably not missing as setting, but misconfigured it in the first place. If you set it up correctly, gmail will default to "push" configuration for getting you the email.
    There is a global setting for sync that you need to have set to ON, although I am just using it for Gmail so your situation might be different.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    I had this issue too yesterday. Even though the mail app has the sync for every 10 mins make sure you have the global sync setting to on. I had this off so everything would only refresh when I did it manually. Turn it on globally then you go into each account and change accordingly. This worked for me.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    I had this issue too yesterday. Even though the mail app has the sync for every 10 mins make sure you have the global sync setting to on. I had this off so everything would only refresh when I did it manually. Turn it on globally then you go into each account and change accordingly. This worked for me.
    where is the global one. I am having probs with yahoo.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    Thanks all. I got it working. I deleted the account entirely and then added it back. For whatever reason it's now synching, I'm getting notifications in the notification bar and I'm getting the indicator light.

    So at least that issues has been taken care of. Now to keep my fingers crossed on the 4G issue. It seems to be a bit better for me today. Yesterday I was having the same issues I used to have with the Charge, the good ol' 4G>3G>no data. That scared the hell out of me, but today it seems better. I still need to go to the areas I was getting data drop issues to make sure.

    It still seems to me that the Rezound got a much better 4G signal. One problem at a time.

    I've given up on taking 16:9 pictures with the Nexus, seems to be no way to do that. Very surprising.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    Quote Originally Posted by kath00 View Post
    where is the global one. I am having probs with yahoo.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    When you go to settings then accounts/sync at the top you have the main option of on or off. Turn this on. Turn turn each individual account off or change the sync time so they won't drain your battery. But with the option as off, I think it overrides any other syncing schedule that an individual app has.
  16. #16  
    wheezy's Avatar

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    It's annoying for sure. I should write up something on xda and see if anyone knows why
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Not getting mail automatically

    That helped me! Thanks!

Posting Permissions