Vertical "banding" at low brightness

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Decided to make a new thread for this because I'm not sure I adequately described what's going on.

At low brightness, especially with gray backgrounds, there is a distinct vertical "banding" that appears on my screen. Is this to be expected? It seems like some people are saying return it and some people are saying that's AMOLED.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Decided to make a new thread for this because I'm not sure I adequately described what's going on.

At low brightness, especially with gray backgrounds, there is a distinct vertical "banding" that appears on my screen. Is this to be expected? It seems like some people are saying return it and some people are saying that's AMOLED.

There are tons of threads on this, myself posting one when I first got it as well. After reading around it is due to the display technology. However if you are experiencing screen "blotches" or serious irregularities aside from the grey/blurry quality while the screen is dimmed on white/grey background then go to Verizon for a replacement.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
There are tons of threads on this, myself posting one when I first got it as well. After reading around it is due to the display technology. However if you are experiencing screen "blotches" or serious irregularities aside from the grey/blurry quality while the screen is dimmed on white/grey background then go to Verizon for a replacement.

I'm not talking about grayness...its a vertical banding.

aspicciati

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I've got the exact same, I think. The 1/4 inch of my screen on the far right is a noticeably darker shade when the screen is dark, or when walking down the street at night.

Of course, when I bring in to a store to show them, their glaring lights don't pick it up and I look either crazy or anal. Not sure what to do, or if this will eventually go away...?

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my first one. My second one looks way better. I'd get it replaced if its very noticeable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

shanimal92

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea, on auto-brightness or lowest to about 30% brightness i get "grainy" picture on any anything. its really visible on white or grey. i took it back and they compared it to the display model and the managers Nexus and they do the same thing so i couldnt take it back because they said that it was just the phone. same thing with the dumb blue tint.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my first one. My second one looks way better. I'd get it replaced if its very noticeable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

See I didn't even notice it until some people started talking about it and even then I have to look really close and then they disappear after about 3 seconds.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine definitely don't disappear. I still can't tell...it seems like a lot of people are saying this is inherent to the AMOLED technology but others are saying it's a defect not present on all screens....sigh...

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

all I really know for smartphones at this point is amoled.. so Im use to them.. but anyhow I havent noticed this problem, or any of the blotchiness others have noted.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine definitely don't disappear. I still can't tell...it seems like a lot of people are saying this is inherent to the AMOLED technology but others are saying it's a defect not present on all screens....sigh...

can you take a SS and post it? I believe its down volume + power

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
These problems always show up with amoleds. Black spots, banding, splotches, yellow/red tint. I think the best thing you can do is find one you're satisfied with.

420board

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
First off I would say it looks more grainy than "banding" or other textures. It was one of the first things I noticed when lowering the brightness. It actually shows up on just about any solid color, but especially gray and white. It is almost impossible to notice on black backgrounds, even with low brightness. This is not present on all amoled screens, the galaxy S screens don't have this graininess on low brightness, although the gradients and colors are not as accurate, there is no grainy look.

I look at two HQ youtube videos on low brightness, the galaxy S phone was the clear winner, you couldn't see any grainy looks. On full brightness the Nexus BLEW IT OUT OF THE WATER!!!! It looked awesome, but I cannot say the same on low brightness.

derekjr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as the OP -- banding, not graininess. It's more apparent with solid colors, and when you swipe a screen left and right you see that the banding is stationary while everything else slides "under" it. I took some pics of a flat grey image viewed fullscreen in the gallery app @ a low brightness setting to try and illustrate the problem. It's more prevalent in the top half, and is less noticeable above 50% brightness, but still always visible. The final pic is when the display gets very dark a few seconds before going to sleep. The graininess is just a result of taking a low-light picture, it's the vertical lines/striations that are bugging me.

:'(

Last edited:

Dostovel

Jul 15, 2010
www.facebook.com
I'm having the same problem as the OP -- banding, not graininess. It's more apparent with solid colors, and when you swipe a screen left and right you see that the banding is stationary while everything else slides "under" it. I took some pics of a flat grey image viewed fullscreen in the gallery app @ a low brightness setting to try and illustrate the problem. It's more prevalent in the top half, and is less noticeable above 50% brightness, but still always visible. The final pic is when the display gets very dark a few seconds before going to sleep. The graininess is just a result of taking a low-light picture, it's the vertical lines/striations that are bugging me.

:'(

BINGO! And to be honest, I'm not that worried about it... especially now that I see you all are having the same issues hahahahhaa :-X

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
i'm also seeing it as described by derek. screen has to be quite dim for it to really be visible...not distinct banding but a very fine and fairly even graininess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma