Returning my Galaxy Nexus.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
For those like me, not into rooting and roms, the "pure android" experience was a bust. Didn't do (easily) thing I wanted, such at placing shortcuts of specific files on my home screens, and required more navigation steps for some functions.

I may be wrong, but for an average user not going to use custom roms and stuff, a nice htc sense skin proved to be a more pleasant experience.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah for many people, an OEM UI is best for them. A lot of "purist" tend to hate on the UIs but some of them especially sense really offer some nice features that make Android more user friendly. I will only use vanilla Android or Sense.

DCoy82

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I can understand your reasoning as I do miss several of the sense features I had on my thunderbolt, but there are just way to many perks I love on this thing to justify returning it. Good luck!

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
My nexus is customized to look just like it has sense. Check the market or other threads. U can make ur android experience to custom fit ur needs...

Try:
Beautiful widgets
Launcher pro

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
My nexus is customized to look just like it has sense. Check the market or other threads. U can make ur android experience to custom fit ur needs...

Try:
Beautiful widgets
Launcher pro

Looking like Sense is not the same as having Sense. It's more than just widgets. Launcher pro will do the exact opposite of what the OP likes. People use launcher pro to get rid of some of the UI stuff. Launcher pro brings no functionality that would benefit the OP.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I can sorta see where you're coming from. The oem overlays make you feel warm all over. lol
I was thinking about it for a short time to take it back.
This thing grows on you...give er some time.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Stock Android is not for everyone. I hope the OP can get the phone he like's and is comfortable with.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I will agree that the stock Android experience can be a bit jarring at first for someone who is used to using a skinned version of Android. It was certainly a bit of an adjustment for me when I first flashed a Blur-less ROM on my Droid X. Eventually, though, I came to love stock Android. Now I can't go back.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What is it that people miss?
I am asking this coming from a former Droid X user. The DX was my first smartphone. I did not root it but did use ADW most of the time. I am wanting for nothing in my Nexus.
I am truly curious what the skins add.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
The skins add simplicity to some functions along with some aesthetics. They also use more system resources to operate, so it is a give-and-take there.

OP, it's all about finding a phone that you enjoy, and does what you want to do, so I wish you luck with your next device. I'm still new to Android, so for a first device, I'm having no real issues navigating around so far. It is a steep learning curve though, I won't lie, but I think it would be that way with any phone I would have picked up. I was VERY close to going for the Rezound over this myself, and would recommend that phone to anyone who isn't enjoying the Nexus device.

kki000

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Good lord OP.
New phone with Sense n virtually same specs came out almost a month ago.
Only reason i didnt get rezound was i couldnt root it and didnt want to take the 10% performance hit from the htc skin.
Easier to add n customize stock ui than trying to get your performance back from a bloated skin imho.

I thought this thread would be a compelling discussion of substantial shortcomings of the nexus.... but this is silly.
"Hi I bought this nice sports car... what I really wanted was a pickup truck....."

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I thought this thread would be a compelling discussion of substantial shortcomings of the nexus.... but this is silly.
"Hi I bought this nice sports car... what I really wanted was a pickup truck....."

Some people buy sports cars and then complain about the ride. I read it in auto reviews all the time. Corvette reviews that complain about bumpy/stiff rides, and SUV reviews that complain about body roll in high-speed turning. It's always going to happen. I just wish people wouldn't complain about things that are not flaws, they're just things the buyer wasn't looking for in the product.