My first new phone in 2 years.

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
So, The GN is the first droid I have ever owned. I owned a Blackberry Tour before (Glad I finally upgraded after 2 years), but on to the main point. Since I got the phone I've been browsing around the internet reading up on initial reactions to the LTE version. Most of the time I see the phone is getting mediocre reviews and hearing the Rezound/Razr would be a smarter purchase. Since I have a month to return the phone, reading all these statements is making me second think my purchase of the GN. I love the phone, but I don't know JACK about android/iOS or any of this stuff.

All in all I am just wondering what someones argument would be (who knows what they are saying) comparing the GN to the Rezound/Razr. What makes the GN so great other than 4.0 and the amazing screen.

Thank you.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So, The GN is the first droid I have ever owned. I owned a Blackberry Tour before (Glad I finally upgraded after 2 years), but on to the main point. Since I got the phone I've been browsing around the internet reading up on initial reactions to the LTE version. Most of the time I see the phone is getting mediocre reviews and hearing the Rezound/Razr would be a smarter purchase. Since I have a month to return the phone, reading all these statements is making me second think my purchase of the GN. I love the phone, but I don't know JACK about android/iOS or any of this stuff.

All in all I am just wondering what someones argument would be (who knows what they are saying) comparing the GN to the Rezound/Razr. What makes the GN so great other than 4.0 and the amazing screen.

Thank you.

All 3 phones are great choices. None of the above are slouches. The benefits of the nexus are that it was released with the new OS (I love the new people app), and the others are still months away for an update and probably will not be updated beyond 1 major release (4.0). While those phone would technically be capable of being updated to whatever J is, since their hardware is similar to the nexus (fast dual-core processor, plenty of memory, etc) they will be old news in the eyes of HTC and Motorola. The Thunderbolt and all the other Moto phones can be used as an example. This device has an amazing screen. I haven't seen the rezounds' screen, but I have seen the razrs. This phone's screen is absolutely great. I love watching HD youtube videos on it. The processor is great, hope the update fixes some compatibility with the GPU (having issues with some live wallpapers which is known, but Sonic CD is slow, too). I know the GPU can handle these things and its just software related. Good news, Google will fix this quick. There are downsides to the other devices, but its more personal preferences (non-removable battery on Razr, bootloader not unlocked on either the razr or the Rezound yet). This phone will honestly be a device you could go 2 years on without the envy.

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
All 3 phones are great choices. None of the above are slouches. The benefits of the nexus are that it was released with the new OS (I love the new people app), and the others are still months away for an update and probably will not be updated beyond 1 major release (4.0). While those phone would technically be capable of being updated to whatever J is, since their hardware is similar to the nexus (fast dual-core processor, plenty of memory, etc) they will be old news in the eyes of HTC and Motorola. The Thunderbolt and all the other Moto phones can be used as an example. This device has an amazing screen. I haven't seen the rezounds' screen, but I have seen the razrs. This phone's screen is absolutely great. I love watching HD youtube videos on it. The processor is great, hope the update fixes some compatibility with the GPU (having issues with some live wallpapers which is known, but Sonic CD is slow, too). I know the GPU can handle these things and its just software related. Good news, Google will fix this quick. There are downsides to the other devices, but its more personal preferences (non-removable battery on Razr, bootloader not unlocked on either the razr or the Rezound yet). This phone will honestly be a device you could go 2 years on without the envy.

Thanks for the response. Since I was stuck with that horrid Tour for 2 years I am just cautious with being stuck with another phone for 2 years that I will regret. The screen on the GN was a major selling point to me along with ICS. Like you said, watching HD videos on youtube is better than watching them on my 40' LCD! I'm glad I waited a month for this phone. The 5MP camera has been scrutinized , but I think it's fine for what it is. I'm not a major picture person anyways.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Since I was stuck with that horrid Tour for 2 years I am just cautious with being stuck with another phone for 2 years that I will regret. The screen on the GN was a major selling point to me along with ICS. Like you said, watching HD videos on youtube is better than watching them on my 40' LCD! I'm glad I waited a month for this phone. The 5MP camera has been scrutinized , but I think it's fine for what it is. I'm not a major picture person anyways.

Yeah, the one thing the other two phones have is external storage. From my experience though, its a lot slower (booting up a thunderbolt with apps stored onto the sd card takes about 3 minutes before you're fully up and running vs about 1-2 if they weren't). 32GB is good enough for me with cloud storage and an unlimited data plan, but I understand that those with 2GB-4GB of data are very limited.

Lambduh

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Not only will this phone receive quick updates...but someday down the road if you decide to flash you will have many more choices on the nexus compared to the razr or rezound. Rezound is a better phone than the razr IMO but will have very few rom choices most likely.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Charge to the Rezound and I would pick my old Charge over the Rezound. I prefer the Charge's screen and the Charge has become a very solid device since it was updated to 2.3. The Nexus has a similar display to the Charge. So for me the Nexus was a no-brainer over the over the Rezound.

Sent from my VZW 4G LTE GNX using Tapatalk

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree, I am coming from a Droid charge and I have watched development slow down over the past couple months.

Just look at the nexus s, they are getting ics first, I would think we would get the next big os first next time around.

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I came from a Charge to the Rezound and I would pick my old Charge over the Rezound. I prefer the Charge's screen and the Charge has become a very solid device since it was updated to 2.3. The Nexus has a similar display to the Charge. So for me the Nexus was a no-brainer over the over the Rezound.

Sent from my VZW 4G LTE GNX using Tapatalk

Maxx,

How is the signal strength compared to your Charge. I was playing with one in the store yesterday and the Charge had a much stronger signal. Where I live, my phone bounces from 4G to 3G to 1x and my Charge has been a beast since the GB update. This scared me from picking up the SGN yesterday.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
The factor that made me decide to take the Nexus over the Rezound (I'm not a fan of the RAZR, but to each their own) was the future support. Obviously the hardware is on par with the other two phones, but the Nexus line never really falls out of favor. Ask people who were (or still are) carrying the Nexus S. Those phones stay relevant, while the others will eventually take a back seat to the next big thing. The HTC Rezound is a great phone, and I was within seconds of walking out with one of those a few weeks back, but the idea that HTC may stop supporting this phone after a year is what made me go for the Nexus, which will always have support. I upgrade every 2 years - I'd never pay an out-of-contract price for a phone, so I need my phone to last the full 2 years (not to say the Rezound/RAZR won't last, just may not be supported by updates at that point).

I'm an Android noob, and I love the Nexus. The only complaint I have thus far is weak signal strength, but everything else works perfectly for me.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
You made the right choice. ICS is nothing short of amazing. The HD screen is out of this world. Its fast (no hiccups or reboots yet) and last but certainly not least THE SUPPORT!!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The only selling point for a brand new Android user IS 4.0. Coming from Gingerbread there really is a few things that people need to get used to. Now in the long run 4.0 will be incredibly easy and fast to navigate, but in all honesty I think the brand new user benefits the most by jumping straight to 4.0.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
If you are not having any deal breaking problems with the GN, I would stick with it. It really is the best phone out on VZ right now IMO and will be updated much faster/more often than any HTC/Motorola phone.

abausch

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I finally retired my OG Droid after 2 years of faithful service for the GN. I am so happy I waited for this phone! The interface is a lot like that of the Xoom, so it's been pretty easy for me to navigate.

TurbineTech

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Retired my BB Bold (had for 18 months) and bought the GNex on launch day. First time Android user so I am looking to grow with the device. I was also seriously considering the Rezound, but am happy with my decision. I know with Googles support my phone will still be relevant in 2 years. That was the major factor for me!

Couldn't be happier!

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Retired my BB Bold (had for 18 months) and bought the GNex on launch day. First time Android user so I am looking to grow with the device. I was also seriously considering the Rezound, but am happy with my decision. I know with Googles support my phone will still be relevant in 2 years. That was the major factor for me!

Couldn't be happier!

I know the feeling of ditching an old BB lol. This is my first Android device also, and the way the past 2 days have been I'll be sticking with Android for a while.

I was considering the Rezound for a while too, but I stuck with it and waited for my GN.

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
It will be 3 years this coming week with the same phone

I had my Blackberry Tour from October 2009 until just a few days ago. 2 year contracts are annoying, I wish they would have 1 year contracts since all these phones they push out now get outdated in 4-6 months.

I would recommend picking up a GN if you are looking to upgrade.

quintilis

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a BB Storm (had that since Nov 2008!) so finally being able to try the Android platform is great. I used to have to use my ipod touch in lieu of my bb so being able to use my phone now is great

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The speed of an SD card is HIGHLY dependent on what class card you buy. However with that said I haven't missed the external storage yet and 32GB is plenty for me. Would I like to have an SD slot, sure. Would it make me buy a different phone. No, this phone is pretty nice, think I'll stick with it. Only issue I am having is the low signal thing, but I have a feeling that will be fixed pretty quickly.