Avoiding Amazon Appstore altogether?

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I recently moved from the Droid Incredible to the Galaxy Nexus and one of the things I was hoping to do is avoid the Amazon Appstore altogether. For the following reasons:

i. I find *extremely annoying* the "Update Available" or "New App is Available for Download" notifications which the Amazon Appstore would throw into the notifications bar on the Incredible.. and there was no setting in the Appstore where I could change that!

ii. The overall interface especially the ribbon inside where I would scroll left and right to find updates, installed apps, all apps etc. is probably best for a tablet, I don't know but not on a phone.

In any event, my question is: are there others who are avoiding installing the Amazon Appstore altogether?

I went over my purchase history since March 2011, and guess what I found: of the ~65 apps I've got (many for free and some purchased), I want FOUR on the Galaxy Nexus and can see myself quite happy without the rest. FOUR out of SIXTY-FIVE. These are SeekDroid, Wolfram Alpha, Soundhound Infinity and Car Locator.

smitty24

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I recently moved from the Droid Incredible to the Galaxy Nexus and one of the things I was hoping to do is avoid the Amazon Appstore altogether. For the following reasons:

i. I find *extremely annoying* the "Update Available" or "New App is Available for Download" notifications which the Amazon Appstore would throw into the notifications bar on the Incredible.. and there was no setting in the Appstore where I could change that!

ii. The overall interface especially the ribbon inside where I would scroll left and right to find updates, installed apps, all apps etc. is probably best for a tablet, I don't know but not on a phone.

In any event, my question is: are there others who are avoiding installing the Amazon Appstore altogether?

I went over my purchase history since March 2011, and guess what I found: of the ~65 apps I've got (many for free and some purchased), I want FOUR on the Galaxy Nexus and can see myself quite happy without the rest. FOUR out of SIXTY-FIVE. These are SeekDroid, Wolfram Alpha, Soundhound Infinity and Car Locator.

Only time I EVER use it is to see what the free app is. If its not good, I close it. No harm, no foul. Got swiftkey and a few games free, so ill keep it for now.

Last edited:

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
The free app a day was just a habit to get just because well it was a paid app that was free. I'm over 100 of them but don't really use a single one and I didn't install the amazon market on my Galaxy Nexus just for the same notification annoyance reason and I don't miss it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was getting the free app a day from Amazon and even purchased a few but no more. The constant conflict between the Android Market and the Amazon Android Market both saying I have updates available when in fact they are conflicting with one another.

Apps you buy on Amazon cannot be updated any other way but will show up as needing to be updated via the Android Market but will fail to install (I have unlimmited data but still its a PITA).

So I am not bothering.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I was getting the free app a day from Amazon and even purchased a few but no more. The constant conflict between the Android Market and the Amazon Android Market both saying I have updates available when in fact they are conflicting with one another.

Apps you buy on Amazon cannot be updated any other way but will show up as needing to be updated via the Android Market but will fail to install (I have unlimmited data but still its a PITA).

So I am not bothering.

Exactly the same thinking for me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

inrelief

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you -- the only reason I'd have installed it is for Swiftkey, but I've been so pleased with the stock keyboard it's not a driving reason any more.

As you mentioned, the notifications are bull , and without the ability to disable them I do believe it's lost its position.

Were the free apps nice? Yeah -- but in using only a very small percentage of the ones I snagged I don't think it really pays off.

molinap1

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I ran into an issue where i got swiftkey x as the free daily app on the amazon market. I also bought it when it was the 10 cent app in the android market last week since i also want to get away the amazon market. Now on the galaxy, i see swiftkey x in the market and is says purchased but when i try to install, it tells me declined because it is not purchased. Now i can't even repurchase because it says i already did.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I love Amazon market. When I move between phones or to new phones, I only have to go to one place and just install those apps I want (and not the ones I don't use). I have about 50 apps (all free of the day ones except Camera FX, which I paid for), but I only install my top 10ish, depending on what mood I am in. :) Seems like my needs change over time and what I needed 2 years ago I don't need now, and vice versa.

Katherine

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
When the market had the 10c sale, I picked up a few apps I got from amazon for free.

This way I don't have to use the amazon store anymore. I'm not a fan of how they treated the developer of pocket casts.
Also amazon apps usually are slower to get updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you -- the only reason I'd have installed it is for Swiftkey, but I've been so pleased with the stock keyboard it's not a driving reason any more.

As you mentioned, the notifications are bull , and without the ability to disable them I do believe it's lost its position.

Were the free apps nice? Yeah -- but in using only a very small percentage of the ones I snagged I don't think it really pays off.

I have been very happy with the keyboard on the Nexus. About the only downside that I think it has is the auto correction. I don't think it is as robust as the one Swift Key X has.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have downloaded the free app of the day most days. Some are very good. Sure it's a pain since they are separate but that's the cost of having two stores.

When I got the GN it was EASIER to re-download the amazon apps because they were all in one place and all I had to do is click install. The Android Market ones were more of a pain.

As time goes on I would expect the Amazon App store to be just as popular if not more. But it will take time.

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I like it.. its a free paid app a day, nothing wrong with that. I've downloaded quite a few but actually only use maybe 10. I like them and the apps are all in one place if you ever need to install

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I tried emailing the "send feedback" people in the amazon appstore I figured a lot of others already complained about the annoying notification asking for a toggle... I hope they change it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i love Amazon but never bought anything from their App Store. i don't want my device getting confused between the two markets so i have always just used the official Android Market.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ive gotten some nice and pretty expensive programs from the app store for free. Like for instance printer share and office pro. Granted I might not use them lots or anything but they are there if I need them.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have sworn off the Amazon Appstore because of the extremely annoying notifications that they give. Additionally, requiring wifi on downloads over 20 M is AWFUL. I do not know why they do not allow you to have a choice. Regardless, I used the 10 cent sale on the Android Market to purchase some of the Amazon apps and I am not going to look back.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I have sworn off the Amazon Appstore because of the extremely annoying notifications that they give. Additionally, requiring wifi on downloads over 20 M is AWFUL. I do not know why they do not allow you to have a choice. Regardless, I used the 10 cent sale on the Android Market to purchase some of the Amazon apps and I am not going to look back.

notifications? like what?

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Have never, nor will I ever use the Amazon market. Android market is integrated with my Google account and makes switching phones/flashing ROMs seamless via sync. An occasionally useful free app from Amazon isn't incentive enough to forbear the hassle.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1