Help me decide

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't necessarily need a new phone right now. I currently have the Droid X and have until March of '12 when I can get a new phone. I could use another lines upgrade to get it, but I'm just not sure. Part of me just doesn't want to spend the $300 if I don't need to and then be tied to a phone for two years when more powerful phones will be coming out next year. HELP!!!

Also, when I was playing with one in the store, the top/front was quite warm. It was charging and the GPS was constantly searching. Maybe it was the combination of the two.

Laramie

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the X before my iphone and Nexus. After getting my iphone, while there were things I liked, I did miss my X. If you don't have to upgrade now, I'd wait until after CES and see what the next big thing will be. The Nexus will still be available but there might be something else down the road that you'd like.

The X was a solid phone for me and unless if was dying on you, I'd just keep it and wait.

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't necessarily need a new phone right now. I currently have the Droid X and have until March of '12 when I can get a new phone. I could use another lines upgrade to get it, but I'm just not sure. Part of me just doesn't want to spend the $300 if I don't need to and then be tied to a phone for two years when more powerful phones will be coming out next year. HELP!!!

Also, when I was playing with one in the store, the top/front was quite warm. It was charging and the GPS was constantly searching. Maybe it was the combination of the two.

GPS is hard to lock on in a building when you are not next to a window. Honestly if you NEED something and you don't want many bugs that can be fixed soon grab a Rezound, but if you want to wait it out and get the google experience grab the Nexus.

Like the nice poster said above CES ushers in the new line of phones and will have happened around the time you can grab a new device.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I would say in your situation, you seem like you will want the latest and greatest so I would say wait. There will always be something better right around the corner. Ask yourself, for what you do do you need quad core? For me I do not need that and most likely more issues with lte than quad core had. Plus no matter what the processor, the skins will slow the phones down some and I got a nexus for updates right from google and not having to wait months for an update.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I would say in your situation, you seem like you will want the latest and greatest so I would say wait. There will always be something better right around the corner. Ask yourself, for what you do do you need quad core? For me I do not need that and most likely more issues with lte than quad core had. Plus no matter what the processor, the skins will slow the phones down some and I got a nexus for updates right from google and not having to wait months for an update.

I'm sure I don't NEED quad core, but us men are all about power, Power, POWER!! ;) I suppose since the phone I have now is working just fine, I'll wait till CES and see what new phones are coming at that time.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I would recomend a google nexus. I love the iPhone too. Siri is awesome. The nexus just seems like I could be happy for a a year or so. The iPhone is so boring, but runs well.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I don't NEED quad core, but us men are all about power, Power, POWER!! ;) I suppose since the phone I have now is working just fine, I'll wait till CES and see what new phones are coming at that time.

Plus just look how long last year it took verizon to get the phones announced at CES. It will most likely not be for months after they are announced.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Plus just look how long last year it took verizon to get the phones announced at CES. It will most likely not be for months after they are announced.

I can wait. Or am I just telling myself that while I really want this phone? Grrrr! CES isn't THAT far away. I can do it!!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I can wait. Or am I just telling myself that while I really want this phone? Grrrr! CES isn't THAT far away. I can do it!!

I think it would be worse with CES right around the corner. You know by the time verizon releases whatever they announce at CES there will be some other awesome phone coming out a month or two later. Such is the price you pay for mobile tech.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
For me, the nexus is the first phone I feel I will stick with for 2 years. I know when I got other phones I would be looking for the next best thing a week later. When I got the nexus this was not the case. Maybe it is because I do not want to have to root and all that to have the latest software or the fact that some phones with super specs still do not run as well as the nexus with "inferior specs" It doesn't matter how great the specs are when you have a skin that slows it down and takes away resources.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
For me, the nexus is the first phone I feel I will stick with for 2 years. I know when I got other phones I would be looking for the next best thing a week later. When I got the nexus this was not the case. Maybe it is because I do not want to have to root and all that to have the latest software or the fact that some phones with super specs still do not run as well as the nexus with "inferior specs" It doesn't matter how great the specs are when you have a skin that slows it down and takes away resources.

I agree 100%

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Same goes for me. After having my Nexus the past two and a half days, I can't believe I felt fine using my OG before, even when I'd been running CM7 for months. I always knew better hardware would make for a better experience but I never imagined just how great using the GN would be over the Droid.

I don't even feel like I'm gonna want to root this phone until Google stops supporting it - unless some sort of extremely better custom ROM comes along. I only started ROM'ing the OG Droid because I wanted to run Froyo once it came out; afterwards it was to crank as much usable performance as I could out of the sub-1 GHz single-core processor and 256MB of RAM. Now with 4x the RAM and essentially 4x the processor (1.2GHz dual-core vs. 600MHz single) I don't have any problems.

@CDEFG..., I'd say that if you're happy using your Droid X for the time being, are eager to get the most powerful thing you can, and don't have an upgrade on your line until March, the best choice would be to hold off til then. Even so you should definitely consider the Nexus for what it provides. Almost-entirely-direct-from-Google updates, very easy to flash custom firmware to (once you unlock the bootloader), newest and greatest Android...

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I thought my decision was gonna be hard between this the razr or the rezound but after having this phone for a while I can say I'm not having buyers remorse

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
As someone who upgraded from a Droid X, I have to say that you are a strong person if you can actually wait until March to upgrade. After I rooted my phone and started installing ROMs, I knew that my next phone would be a Nexus because I didn't want to have to deal with an encrypted bootloader and skinned versions of Android on my next device. So as soon as Verizon got a Nexus, I went for it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Same goes for me. After having my Nexus the past two and a half days, I can't believe I felt fine using my OG before, even when I'd been running CM7 for months. I always knew better hardware would make for a better experience but I never imagined just how great using the GN would be over the Droid.

I don't even feel like I'm gonna want to root this phone until Google stops supporting it - unless some sort of extremely better custom ROM comes along. I only started ROM'ing the OG Droid because I wanted to run Froyo once it came out; afterwards it was to crank as much usable performance as I could out of the sub-1 GHz single-core processor and 256MB of RAM. Now with 4x the RAM and essentially 4x the processor (1.2GHz dual-core vs. 600MHz single) I don't have any problems.

I agree. Older phones you had to root and rom just for it to run half decent and function. The droid even with cm7 was so slow and lagged like crazy, where as the nexus I do not need to do all that because it is smooth right out of the box, plus has much better hardware specs that will keep it more future proof than other phones. I am running stock and will keep it that way until something really awesome comes out or if google does not support it like 2 years from now.

iclickjohn

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Technology is a fast train moving across the horizon. When you decide to get on is up to you. Better technology is always coming. And every move we make is like jumping off the train for a while. So you have to decide what phone can take you the longest distance without the train. I think my X was that type of device. That was a 2 1/2 to 3 year phone. And I've got the Nexus now and I can tell you that I for one am not entirely convinced that this is that type of phone. I've had bad reception where the X never did. Data moves like a Snell (where I live) but the X, in the same area downloaded very fast. The X felt so secure in my hand. And I never felt like I would drop it. There has never been a time that I've picked up this Nexus and swore I wasn't picking up a wet slippery bar if soap. I feel like I'm going to drop it ALL the time. The screen is GORGEOUS hands down. In fact while you are on wifi go to YouTube and just do a search for HD. I drooled all over this screen. I'm trying to be fair to it. But if I get enough courage I'll return it and wait a few more months without hesitating.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I guess I'm gonna wait until next spring. My current phone works just fine and right now it seems to be a want rather than a need. If my phone wasn't working then it'd be a different story.

downtown jewelry bryan

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Older phones you had to root and rom just for it to run half decent and function. The droid even with cm7 was so slow and lagged like crazy, where as the nexus I do not need to do all that because it is smooth right out of the box, plus has much better hardware specs that will keep it more future proof than other phones. (...)

"future proof" would be a cool slogan for the nexus line

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781