Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Nexus randomly turned off?

I was watching an HD video on youtube then the phone just turned off with at least 70% battery then rebooted. Anything to worry about?

Default Re: Galaxy Nexus randomly turned off?

Not sure.. the same thing happened when I unplugged mine from the wall charger the other day.. it's been fine since though.

I was being guided by the voice queues in Google Navigation. Which was a problem because the screen was off and the voice queues just stopped. worst thing of all, it shut down and didn't reboot. I had to power it back up.

Every other smartphone that I have owned has rebooted at somepoint but this is the first smartphone that didn't restart automatically.

-Kesnik

ROM
    CM10 Something...

Mine froze and rebooted on me when I went into the camera app. It acctually sat frozen for about 30 seconds. I was going to pull the battery when it rebooted. Its been fine since.

I had one random reboot yesterday, battery was about 30%, I turned on screen to check a text message then put it down, about 30 seconds later I noticed the boot animation. Dont know why it reboot, random.

One odd shutoff today while holding down the microphone on the Google search bar so I could see the predefined search terms in help. The display just went blank. At first I thought it was the screen timeout, but then I had to hold down the power button and watch the phone start up again. So I guess the phone just turned off without a reboot.

Anyway this is a shut down occurrence that needs to be looked into

mine rebooted on two separate occasions in the same day while using google nav.

ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611

Battery at 57% , listening to pandora, and searching market. Phone shutdown and had to power it back on holding power button. Never experienced on previous phones.

My randomly shut off the first day and hasn't done it since. Didn't reboot or anything just did a full shut down and my battery was around 70% at the time just connected to my car's bluetooth idling. Wasn't on the phone or anything... thought it was odd but hasn't done it again since so *cross fingers* it was just a one time thing.

Up until the last few replies, I sensed a theme, but now who knows. For the ones that were doing a ton of stuff at once and/or were using navigation, I could see it possibly being an overheating type of situation and the phone just turns off so it can cool the battery down.

However, the ones who weren't doing anything I have no idea.

mine rebooted right after i "disabled" the vz backup.

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Mine did it twice yesterday. Once it rebooted and I wasn't even doing anything with it. I just looked down at it sitting on my desk and the "Google" logo was on the screen. Then after I had fully charged the battery and was about to shut down to install the new extended battery, it rebooted when I unplugged the charger (100% charge). So I pulled the battery and installed the extended one. Charged to 100% and it's been fine since.

EDIT:

So it just rebooted again for no aparent reason. It's not even plugged in to the charger, just sitting on my desk. I had a text message waiting, and next thing I know, there's the boot animation. WTF? This needs addressed real soon...

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by marcw View Post
    mine rebooted right after i "disabled" the vz backup.
    I also disabled VZ backup the second I left the store on 12/15. Then on 12/17 my phone rebooted while opening up the camera with the front facing camera. Then it rebooted yesterday evening while in messaging. The uptime was 44 hours, and 6 hours later is when my phone rebooted on me.

Same thing happened to me trying to fire up Grand Theft Auto III, then I tried it again and half the text on my homescreen went black. Upon restarting the dialer was missing from the bottom of my homescreen and the Google+ widget couldn't pull any pictures. Restarted again and everything seems to be fine though GTA still craps out.

I had 3 reboots yesterday while listening to music with the Google Music app. Every time it happened I was changing the equalizer preset.

I've had no other reboots or shut downs.

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Mine self shut off while I was in the market. Looks like we have a glitch somewhere in the OS that google needs to fix.

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM

Mine randomly shut off twice when I was editing contact photos. No clue why. My device had plenty of battery life left.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I had a reboot when putting it into the clock mode at night. Phone was plugged in. It's the only time it's happened so far since I got it last Thursday.

its happened to me when i was watching some Flash videos

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Had 2 random reboots today for the first time. Fully charged & plugged into my computer. Thought it might have something to do with just updating Nova Launcher. Maybe not though if others are having problems...

My rebooted twice on Sunday (3 days ago, 3 days after I bought it) and both time I was in the Android Market.

Oh and last night my wife's iPhone 4 rebooted while listening to music LOL

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

At least this has already been submitted to Google: Google Galaxy nexus rebooting while playing pandora - Google Mobile Help
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I've had about 4 of these same random shutdowns after I installed Go EX Launcher shortly after getting the phone. I used Go for a few days and after removing Go, I haven't had another one happen. Today I had a lockup where it stuck on the same screen (pulling down the notification bad and it got 1/2 way before freezing) but this was different in that the screen froze for 5 or so seconds and didn't go black and then rebooted itself. The previous issues I attributed to Go. I've not tried another launcher since.

p.s. I disabled VZ backup the minute I got the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaspe1 View Post
    Mine self shut off while I was in the market. Looks like we have a glitch somewhere in the OS that google needs to fix.
    Same thing happened to me while I was searching for an app in the market.

Mine rebooted and did the *22899 thing on me the first day I had it. It was fine and the it rebooted 3 times today. I think it might have something to do with the LTE radio. I was using Navigation the first 2 times amd Pandora the last. I think it may have lost 4G each time and didn't switch to 3G. I am going to keep it 3G only for a few days and see what happens.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast