Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down 4.0.2 Upgrade Broke my Nexus? (Secure Element not responding)

So I'm on my second nexus (first was a lemon) and I had installed google wallet on my phone (android 4.0.1) and it worked fine. I upgraded to 4.0.2 and tried running google wallet with an error "Secure Element not responding." I tried to flash factory image and reinstall this time using the new wallet apk and still have the same error.

So I called Google and they said that I need to contact my carrier to see about getting a new phone. He put me on hold and checked with (somebody?) and then told me there is no known way to reverse the "locked down" secure element which was added as a security feature by Google.

WTF??

I really dont want to go back to Verizon and get a THIRD nexus.....
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,575 Global Posts
    Carrier
    iOS 5.1

Default Re: 4.0.2 Upgrade Broke my Nexus? (Secure Element not responding)

Why would you get another replacement when its not a problem with the phone? The phone isnt compatible with Google Wallet. If it comes it comes, no matter how much its hacked. But when it all comes down to it, its not offical at the moment. Theres nothing wrong with your phone.

Carrier
    Stock (borrowed phone)

huh mine did this too. had the FLASHED version of Google Wallet working fine but with FC after a purchase. the apk install alone that is said to work without root gives me the "Insufficent privileges" secure element thing.

wiped alot too. guess back to the flashed version with editing XML

This is a problem that Google Wallet is aware of; Verizon can't help you; since they don't support Wallet or endorse it in the first place.

Contact Google Wallet directly, I'm having my phone sent directly back to Mountain View for a replacement today, let's see if I get a Refurb or a New phone in return...

Wish me luck guys, it'll be great to get a new phone since, I have bad call quality and the usual bugs such as random resets...

Talking on the old LG is great, great call quality, and I missed the old physical keyboards...

But, we'll see how the new G-Nex works,,, will update...!

Google is the ! Gave me a new G-nex.. so I got extra battery, charger and ear plugs..

They could have just sent me a redurb unit by itself.. but I'm glad they did the right thing and didn't cheap out..

Wallet back to normal.. & $10 more dollars...!

Thx Google.. U guys rock

Quote Originally Posted by Droidintorrance View Post

Contact Google Wallet directly,...
    Congrats on your success, and new phone. Just for future reference, is it actually possible to contact Google directly??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Droidintorrance View Post
    Google is the ! Gave me a new G-nex.. so I got extra battery, charger and ear plugs..

They could have just sent me a redurb unit by itself.. but I'm glad they did the right thing and didn't cheap out..

Wallet back to normal.. & $10 more dollars...!

Thx Google.. U guys rock
    Did the right thing? You installed an app that wasn't meant for your phone and it borked your NFC chip. You're very lucky Google did anything for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,654 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by iahawk View Post
    So I'm on my second nexus (first was a lemon) and I had installed google wallet on my phone (android 4.0.1) and it worked fine. I upgraded to 4.0.2 and tried running google wallet with an error "Secure Element not responding." I tried to flash factory image and reinstall this time using the new wallet apk and still have the same error.

So I called Google and they said that I need to contact my carrier to see about getting a new phone. He put me on hold and checked with (somebody?) and then told me there is no known way to reverse the "locked down" secure element which was added as a security feature by Google.

WTF??

I really dont want to go back to Verizon and get a THIRD nexus.....
    That's a very secure element when even the manufacturer can't access it.