Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Viper View Post
    Ok ....bare with me on this. I am NOT tech at all.

Why would you need this or WIFI when you have 4G?

Especially the person that is going to Vegas. Wouldn't it be perfect 4G there?

I'm here to learn so take it easy on me.
    Tethering is using your Phone as your Wifi provider.

I use Tethering a lot. I have an EyeFi card for my DSLR that requires Wifi to transmit. This way my vids and pics are uploaded immediately without having to upload to camera and then upload to net. There will be Wifi avail to the attendees, but using my own 4G will prob be faster than the shared network being used by 1000+ media types.

I was able to use this Tether App with my Xoom and at least 6 comuters attached today. Worked great. Much faster than I was able to ever get with my Droid X.

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMasters View Post
    Before everyone runs out to buy this only to get caught, it's my understanding that PDANet's USB and Bluetooth tethering are the ONLY ways to share your data without Verizon knowing about it. Something about it grabbing the data differently that isn't (or wasn't) possible through Wifi. I'd love to buy this if there were no way for them to track it, can anyone confirm whether or not the above is true?
    anybody know???
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Well apparently this app has been in the market for quite a while so if Verizon was going to block it, I think we'd know by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Well apparently this app has been in the market for quite a while so if Verizon was going to block it, I think we'd know by now.
    I am curious if VW can tell you're tethering with this app vs. another one.
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't think so. I think this just bypasses Verizon's block on native tethering to non-paying users. If I turn tethering on and go into the built in hotspot's settings, the box is checked and I can turn it off there. I just can't turn it back on without this app or its widget.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I'm tethering right now to the ics wifi tether, with no hotspot plan. Just an unlocked bootloader and no root. 25 mb down, 14 mb up. I'm a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayners View Post
    I'm tethering right now to the ics wifi tether, with no hotspot plan. Just an unlocked bootloader and no root. 25 mb down, 14 mb up. I'm a happy camper.
    I'm pretty sure they tack it on to your bill if you do that.

I have tried this however when I go to use my laptop it goes to the Verizon wifi page wanting me to purchase through them??? any suggestions what I did wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by im4droid View Post
    I have tried this however when I go to use my laptop it goes to the Verizon wifi page wanting me to purchase through them??? any suggestions what I did wrong?
    There's your confirmation. Back to PDANet I go.

Quote Originally Posted by im4droid View Post
    Are you on 3G or 4G?

What browser are you using?

ROM
    Bugless Beast

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMasters View Post
    There's your confirmation. Back to PDANet I go.
    There's no way I'm using anything other than PDANet or Wifi Tether for Root Users until the XDA devs have a chance to look at these apps and let me know if Verizon can see the usage. Wifi Tether appears to be working now, with pre110.

Brandon

I don't think they can detect this. I logged on my verizon over the computer and looked at my hotspot usage. I don't pay for hotspot so it told me nothing was available. However they can see that your data usage has been sky high for a few but for all they know you can be watching netflix over your phone.

I'm the developer of this app, so thanks to the OP and to Android Central for helping to publicize it, I really appreciate it!

I have never heard of any user incurring charges from the carrier for using this app.

On some phones, with some carriers, there is software that redirects all traffic to the carrier's home page, encouraging you to sign up for the hotspot plan, but if you don't choose to sign up, then they don't bill you.
    From what I've been told, this app works fine with Galaxy Nexus (traffic is not redirected).
    However, it is always possible that some time in the future, a carrier may block the app.

Happy Holidays,
    Doug

Search Android Market for "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether" by SVTP or follow these links:

Paid Version $9.99 - 5 day money-back guarantee
    https://market.android.com/details?i...rs.wifihotspot

Free Trial - 2 days
    https://market.android.com/details?i...ifihotspotdemo
    Last edited by dricket; 12-19-2011 at 05:26 AM.
    Thanked by 3:

didn't work for me. It asked me to subscribe to mobile hotspot/mobile broadband connect, and then gave phone numbers to call to subscribe

i tried to connect it..using the USB cord and the AndroidAP came up in the wifi network but no internet when i clicked connect

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Pdanet works and is free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeslevine View Post
    didn't work for me. It asked me to subscribe to mobile hotspot/mobile broadband connect, and then gave phone numbers to call to subscribe
    That's the second user in this thread to report a redirect. So like I said, Verizon CAN see you using this and start charging you for it as they see fit.

I wonder if it makes a difference if you connect with a tablet vs a laptop because of the mobile vs desktop browser.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Funny. Worked fine for me yesterday. Just tried it on again, flipped the bluetooth sharing on and got a pop up about subscription services. Relaunched with regular wifi tethering and it hasn't popped up yet. Unfortunately I don't have another device within reach to determine if it is working properly or not.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

Just found out about this yesterday and tried it on my Galaxy Nexus LTE. Had to uninstall and reinstall but after that it works. Put my 10 dollars down.
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dricket View Post
    I'm the developer of this app, so thanks to the OP and to Android Central for helping to publicize it, I really appreciate it!

I have never heard of any user incurring charges from the carrier for using this app.

On some phones, with some carriers, there is software that redirects all traffic to the carrier's home page, encouraging you to sign up for the hotspot plan, but if you don't choose to sign up, then they don't bill you.
    From what I've been told, this app works fine with Galaxy Nexus (traffic is not redirected).
    However, it is always possible that some time in the future, a carrier may block the app.

Happy Holidays,
    Doug

Search Android Market for "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether" by SVTP or follow these links:

Paid Version $9.99 - 5 day money-back guarantee
    https://market.android.com/details?i...rs.wifihotspot

Free Trial - 2 days
    https://market.android.com/details?i...ifihotspotdemo
    If you happen to read this, I have problems with data not working after a little while. I know the app was made for the Charge but I'm hoping whatever is causing this can be fixed soon because it's annoying. The only way to restore data is to turn tethering off and back on.

Ok this is a test using the 2 day free trail.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Ok this is a test using the 2 day free trail.
    And it worked!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #74  

Seems to be working for a lot of folks. I personally never had an issue using this app dating back to Droid Charge days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Just downloaded it
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast