Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Would-be Doc

ROM
    Friggin' Jelly Bean

Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

Wow, can't believe I never saw this before! A flat $15 beats $30 a month 10 days a week. I'm actually very surprised these guys haven't been shut down (or are at least more popular).

Suuriously though, any risk of this app getting taken away if the big boys complain about it loud enough?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTheDon View Post
    I hate to be the bad news bringer but i had to call VZW and i called 6 times to make sure my answer was consistent and YES THEY CHARGE FOR WiFi TETHERING AKA MOBILE HOTSPOT

the apps and methods discussed in this thread are explicitly ways to get around paying verizon for tethering, since the phones support the ability natively. these are legit and without any monthly fees.

ROM
    cm7 android 2.3

Anyone try this with 4.04?

Quote Originally Posted by Muddyml View Post
    Anyone try this with 4.04?
    Just tried it with the IMM76K build. I enabled hotspot using a toggle on extended controls. Connected my Galaxy Tab, and I was on the Internet just like before.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Viper View Post
    Ok ....bare with me on this. I am NOT tech at all.

Why would you need this or WIFI when you have 4G?

Especially the person that is going to Vegas. Wouldn't it be perfect 4G there?

I'm here to learn so take it easy on me.
    I am sympathetic... most of the people here are pretty advanced! You use a hotspot to create a wifi signal with your phone that you can pick up with other devices. I use it for work while traveling to get Internet on my laptop. I was lucky enough to get in on the old offer of $30/month unlimited in late March -- so glad I did. On my old Droid I had one of the hotspot apps but Verizon figured it out. One day I went to turn it on and I got a screen from Verizon inviting me to sign up for hotspot service! Hopefully this won't happen to all the folks using this app.

Foxfi is free and does the same thing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

whoa! I live in a 4G area, might give this app a try. I love you guys haha

OK so WiFi Tether and WiFi Hotspot Widget both stopped working for me. i didnt change anything but not having success anymore. Are these broken for anyone else and what are some that are confirmed working on the GN?

Global Posts
    750 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

the wifi hotspot app I paid for stopped working for me as well...I hope its just the app and it gets updated and works again

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

The hotspot toggle in Extended Controls is still working for me (using it right now). ;-)

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

On sprint. Using an Epic 4G. Downloaded the trial. Installed fast and working beautifully. Using my Laptop through the wifi on the phone now!

Most excellent!
    B.

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

I bought the "pro" version after trying the trial. It wouldn't allow me to register it to my phone, saying it was already registered to another phone. I don't have another phone, so that's impossible. Numerous emails to SVTP went unanswered. I've started a paypal dispute to get my money back. A shame, cuz the trial worked so perfectly...

Later,
    B.

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB 7/19 build

I'm using Foxfi on 4.0.4 and cant get my laptop to connect to the internet that way, but my girlfriends iPhone can connect to the internet through it?

BTW I am not rooted or unlocked or any of that.........yet. Is it easier to get a hotspot working going that route?

look, I'm no techie, but all you have to do is get the app widgizoid, turn on the switch for tethering/hotspot, touch to configure, check portable wi-fi hotspot, and you're good to go.

Clearly, Verizon's whole model is switching with the new plans where you get limited data but it includes tethering.

I have not been charged for my ocassional use.

Global Posts
    750 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have no problems with this app at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by samkatz View Post
    look, I'm no techie, but all you have to do is get the app widgizoid, turn on the switch for tethering/hotspot, touch to configure, check portable wi-fi hotspot, and you're good to go.

Clearly, Verizon's whole model is switching with the new plans where you get limited data but it includes tethering.

I have not been charged for my ocassional use.
    where can i find that? google turned up zilch

I have the samsung galaxy S3 and the share everything plan so hotspot is free.... and when I use foxfi, it actually connects much faster than the stock hotspot.. think the speed is faster too.

Samsung still has some issues... I had to install foxfi to even get my phone to connect to internet.. then I was able to uninstall foxfi and its worked everysince.. however it takes a while for my windows 7 64bit machine to identify the network before internet is available, when using foxfi its nearly instant.

Quote Originally Posted by eikphoto View Post
    There is an app in the market called Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether.
    Click to view quoted image

Install, and enjoy. That simple!
    Click to view quoted image

I bought this when I had the Droid Charge and I was extremely pleased it works with my Nexus.

As some have asked, I am not rooted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Sorry it does not work with Sprint on there Samsung galaxy S3. I tried it several times and just keep getting error messages.

Sent from my White, Sexy S3.

Will this continue to work when the OTA Jelly Bean update is released?

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Been forced back to stock. Need a free WiFi hotspot solution that works with jellybean. Any ideas ?

Sent From my Jelly Bean powered Nexus
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button

Using Fattin Hotspot Toggle with the OTA Jelly Bean works great

svtp works with my Nexus and i just updated to JB yesterday.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Oops...it didn't quote the other guy. The $30.00 mobile hotspot is not available anymore because it is automatic and comes off of the data plan you have. That is the way it is for those of us like ME who have a 4GB data plan...or 5, 10, whatever. I guess if you're still on unlimited, you're good to go...so I don't see a need in spending 9.99 for something already there.

Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I can confirm this works with the Razr M without root - although you have to use the Samsung ICS Device Profile.

Sent from my XT907 Scorpion_Mini
    I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    - Thomas Jefferson
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast