Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yosteve
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Did the dialer in ICS ditch predictive text?

I just noticed that my Nexus wont let me punch in some numbers to pull up a contact and call them. This worked fine on my Froyo and Gingerbread phones, wasn't this a stock Android feature or did mine break somehow?

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

Default Re: Did the dialer in ICS ditch predictive text?

I second that question! I really miss being able to dial by name or number on sense
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

That's mainly a sense feature. You can download Dialer One for free and it has that capability. It's not native to ICS.

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

This was absolutely a feature of GB on my (non-Sense) Droid X and I miss it! There is a contact search in the ICS dialer that works similarly, but I agree that it was way more convenient straight from the dial pad.

Hello Google? Please put this critical phone feature back!

Agree.... I need this feature back too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Same here, my last two phones were TouchWiz and they had it too. Really sad to see this convenient feature missing from ICS

Quote Originally Posted by dookie View Post
    Probably won't happen. This has been missing from Stock Android since inception. The OG didn't have the ability, so I doubt Google will bother with it since they've had three years to implement something so simple. I really miss this functionality from my Incredible. I hope someone can take the ICS dialer and modify it with this function instead of having to go to something like Dialer One. I used Dialer One a when I first got the OG and while it works well, it looks cheap and crappy. If I had any programing ability I would take the ICS dialer and modify it myself, but unfortunately I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dmbfan42 View Post
    Widgets on the home screen are not the same thing and they take up real estate that I use for other apps and widgets.

Quote Originally Posted by callmebob View Post
    Widgets on the home screen are not the same thing and they take up real estate that I use for other apps and widgets.
    I put my quick dial and quick text widgets behind my msg and phone widgets. They don't take up real estate and I can click twice to any of my speed dial people. If you wanted quicker access to the msg and phone widgets you could put them in an open spot too.

I'm always weary my phone will dial on its own if the phone icon was just up front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did the dialer in ICS ditch predictive text?-screenshot_2011-12-18-13-50-16.jpg   Did the dialer in ICS ditch predictive text?-screenshot_2011-12-18-13-50-36.jpg   Did the dialer in ICS ditch predictive text?-screenshot_2011-12-18-13-50-43.jpg  
    TerryMasters likes this.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

I wanted to follow up that Dialer One has been pretty good. OK! It's not the prettiest thing but I am glad to give up a cool font for being to dial people by name and number. Anyone else use a dialer that they recommend?

Global Posts
    1,237 Global Posts

EXdialer is better and has an ICS theme you can download. kang's cm9 also has t9 dialing

I am missing that feature from my bionic.......but the search button is a click away and doesnt take much longer at all. ::flame suit on::

And you get used to it......i dont even do the predictive method anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by dookie View Post
    This was absolutely a feature of GB on my (non-Sense) Droid X and I miss it! There is a contact search in the ICS dialer that works similarly, but I agree that it was way more convenient straight from the dial pad.

That would be motoblur. It was never a stock feature, google never took it away because they never included it in the first place.

The search button in the dialer works pretty well.

This feature was recently added to CyanogenMod - it works quite well in the stock dialer. A good option for the root-inclined.

Sent from my Nexus S

I put a folder of direct dials as a makeshift dialer (and I have one for direct texting).

I do miss predictive dialing though.

Oddly, if you hold down the 1 button it dials your voicemail, wtf.

Either Google added it in 4.0.3 or it's part of GummyNex because I have the predictive dialing on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Either Google added it in 4.0.3 or it's part of GummyNex because I have the predictive dialing on my phone.
    Its apart of gummynex

Sent from my samsung tab 10.1 using Tapatalk
    ADD ME ON

Just flashed jelly bean 4.1. No predictive dialing there either.