How do I get my PC to recognize the Nexus as a drive?

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys...I can get the computer to link to the Nexus and transfer files such as mp3 for ringtones but my issue is getting the PC to recognize the phone as a drive instead of portable media device. The reason I need this is I use an android app called Pocket Dairy for work...it connect to the computer via micro usb cable and then downloads the info to the phone that I need for it to work. Have the app installed but as long as it can not find the phone as a drive it won't transfer the info. Any way to get this to happen?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks...so only android phones with sd cards are able to do this?

Even tablets with SD Cards still show up only as MTP mode. you can still drag and drop the same way. The benefit is you can transfer files with the SD card in without affecting running apps installed to the external storage. I'm probably one of the few in favor of it. If it bugs you enough, you could just use an FTP through wifi app and transfer files wireless through a web browser.

CarSalesman

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
How can I sync music files from my PC to GN? I don't want to use google music or such. Just a sync from certain folders on my PC to the GN.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried it yet but I found a shareware product called "ptpdrive" which sounds like it would work.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys...I can get the computer to link to the Nexus and transfer files such as mp3 for ringtones but my issue is getting the PC to recognize the phone as a drive instead of portable media device. The reason I need this is I use an android app called Pocket Dairy for work...it connect to the computer via micro usb cable and then downloads the info to the phone that I need for it to work. Have the app installed but as long as it can not find the phone as a drive it won't transfer the info. Any way to get this to happen?

I'm pretty sure this is the driver that you need to install. If that does not work then go into your computer's device manager and find the yellow exclamation mark next to the galaxy nexus driver. Right click and manually update the driver; one of these two methods should work, if not both.

View attachment 19751

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
What about the app Jerry suggested, Wifi File Manager?

I don't know about the syncing thing but this app that Jerry suggested seems to work well for me. After installing you start the app...it gives you the Wifi address to type into your browser and BANG...the directories and files on your phone are presented in your browser. You can open the folders to view files, you can upload data from your PC to your selected folder....

I'm a happy camper with this.

Also my windows 7 system automatically downloaded the newest Samsung drivers when I connected the phone and I can copy and paste files using my USB connection. The only thing I noticed with this method is that the file explorer will recognize the phone as an external device instead of a drive, but you can still open the contents of the device to copy files into a phone folder. Using Windows 7 file explorer, I need to select the files to copy and then drop them onto the unopened destination folder. If I open the destination folder in file explorer the copy doesn't seem to work.... Not much of a problem but something I used to be able to do with a phone with SD card and running Android 2.2

With Wifi File Manager...none of this is even necessary....just install the app, use it, and it's done.
Seems like it is a Samsung Kies alternative that works well. Never used Kies so this app might even be better!

Thanks Jerry!

Reactions: tony bag o donuts
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the syncing thing but this app that Jerry suggested seems to work well for me. After installing you start the app...it gives you the Wifi address to type into your browser and BANG...the directories and files on your phone are presented in your browser. You can open the folders to view files, you can upload data from your PC to your selected folder....

I'm a happy camper with this.

Also my windows 7 system automatically downloaded the newest Samsung drivers when I connected the phone and I can copy and paste files using my USB connection. The only thing I noticed with this method is that the file explorer will recognize the phone as an external device instead of a drive, but you can still open the contents of the device to copy files into a phone folder. Using Windows 7 file explorer, I need to select the files to copy and then drop them onto the unopened destination folder. If I open the destination folder in file explorer the copy doesn't seem to work.... Not much of a problem but something I used to be able to do with a phone with SD card and running Android 2.2

With Wifi File Manager...none of this is even necessary....just install the app, use it, and it's done.
Seems like it is a Samsung Kies alternative that works well. Never used Kies so this app might even be better!

Thanks Jerry!

and this can be done from any pc? I want to send a few timesheets to my phone from work not using email and didn't want dropbox installed.

dtice03

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You can also use Winamp to wireless sync through WiFi. There's a winamp app in the market and you'll have to download the lastest version of winamp for windows. I used it previously on my EVO 3D and it works for my Nexus as well.