Sent back the Nexus... feel...

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
All I can tell you is that I had a Samsung Vibrant for almost a year and a half, also with what you would call "cheap" plastic, and when I sold it, it looked brand new, like it was never used. Not a ding, dent, scratch, or imperfection.

As is my Droid X. Perfect condition. Naked since launch day. Moto does make a great phone even if they are ugly.

or it came out of the box like that and you didn't notice it at first, or yours was defective.

I am not beyond admitting this is equally likely. However, once you notice a nick in the plastic next to the screen, it is impossible to un-notice it. I tried to. BTW, it is very hard to describe where the nick is. It is on the front of the bezel (looking at the screen) on the inside right next to the black of the glass. It is where an impact could not have occurred unless it was from an angle that would have also impacted the screen.

I am done with the nick stuff. It happened, don't know how, never happened on my DX.... yada yada yada. Lesson: you guys should get a case for the Samsung Nexus. I had one coming... tomorrow. Oh well.

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So you made all that commotion to get one before launch and returned it?

One more product return by an impulse buyer, and likewise one more reason for a profitable company to reduce the cost of product production. One more reason for innovative research to take a back seat in favor of research/manufacturing shortcuts.

Such a wasteful society. That's my beliefs talking and not out of disrespect. I've seen too much of that from a wasteful consumer base this season. Almost as if there's 0 responsability associated with a purchase decision. This attitude can not be sustainable.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
So far I haven't had any signals. my old Thunderbolt had more signal issues than this phone especially with when it transitioned from 4g to 3g. I haven't really took much pics with my cam but I am disappointed that there is no timer option on the Gnex. Also speaker is kinda low and the eq on my Thunderbolt in the music app was better than the one on my Gnex.Everything else is great. ICS is super smooth. Like it.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
LOL.... The point in the "phantom" comment was that I did zero to directly cause it. If I had to bet a few dollars on it, I'd reason it was already a stressed point in the thinly cheap plastic that surrounds the screen (the bezel) and that pushing the power button finished it in. I.E.: Cheap.

It's a shame they didn't choose to use a plastic that you consider to be "quality plastic."

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So far I haven't had any signals.
Hmmm, doesn't that make it difficult to make and receive texts and phone calls? LOL, j/k.
my old Thunderbolt had more signal issues than this phone especially with when it transitioned from 4g to 3g. I haven't really took much pics with my cam but I am disappointed that there is no timer option on the Gnex. Also speaker is kinda low and the eq on my Thunderbolt in the music app was better than the one on my Gnex.Everything else is great. ICS is super smooth. Like it.

I'm loving mine so far.

odranoel

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Returning a product is not wasteful; returns are factored into the product price. Let's be honest with ourselves: many fewer people would be willing to shell out $299 for a phone if they had no return period.

One more product return by an impulse buyer, and likewise one more reason for a profitable company to reduce the cost of product production. One more reason for innovative research to take a back seat in favor of research/manufacturing shortcuts.

Such a wasteful society. That's my beliefs talking and not out of disrespect. I've seen too much of that from a wasteful consumer base this season. Almost as if there's 0 responsability associated with a purchase decision. This attitude can not be sustainable.

Reactions: k6tcher

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Preach it binge. It wont change though, thats the reason the return period was shortened. Its just funny that guy made a huge scene to get one early and woulsnt return it when bb first asked him to then he rebuys it to return it a day later. What a waste of time and money like he complained about in the first place.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I can't see how Samsung profits from returned phones.....cutting corners results in more returned phones. I'm gonna wait for a fix for the signal issue until the return period ends (which I think is January 15). I'm pretty much happy with the phone except for that. 15% no signal on cell standby. My DX = 0%.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I think the radios are fine. I haven't had any problems with not having signal. The software, I'm sure, is the problem. I'm constantly dropping data. Sometimes the 3G and 4G icons will disappear and I can't access data. Sometimes I'll have the 3 and 4G icons and data doesn't work, yet I always have at least 1 bar of signal.

I also have an issue with switching from CDMA/LTE to CDMA and vice versa. When I do that, I drop signal while it switches and it takes a couple minutes for my data to be restored. It's really annoying.

I'm really hoping my signal issues will be addressed in the next update because it's getting really frustrating to use this phone sometimes.

I saw this happen in store. The 4G Icon never disappeared, but the data connection stopped working. Sales guy had to restart the phone for it to work.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, if you have any banding you shoukd replace your phone. When i put my phone to low brightness there is still no banding at all. Sounds to me like bad phones. So fsr thank god, ive had no issues with my phone.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
My phone just works. Besides me wanting a bit more volume i cant really think of anything i would change......in other words, anything they do in updates to my phone is just icing on a tasty cake. Happy owner here....and my wife loves hers too.

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Returning a product is not wasteful; returns are factored into the product price. Let's be honest with ourselves: many fewer people would be willing to shell out $299 for a phone if they had no return period.

iPhones have no return period if bought from a number of retailers, and often can only be exchanged if defective. That's just in response to that comment about cost of device vs. return policy.

We're speaking the same language here. It's not meant to condemn product returns as a whole, but plenty of folks would only have to pay $199 if there had to be a ligitimate defect with the device. Buyer's remorse over a "phantom" blemish is overblown. I understand this person had signal issues, but working in the industry I find that people will return a phone because the color never grew on them or something to that effect. These aren't defects and work perfectly so I'd openly criticise but please keep in mind I am speaking from a personal belief about waste management and personal responsibility.

A guy purposefully goes to BB to see if he can get a pre-launch Nexus, breaks the store's street date, and causes the store to get a fine. He takes the nexus home feels like it didn't live up to the hype and now he returns it for a number of reasons that are not related to it's intended functionality. I say intended functionality because launches for devices are rarely perfect and Nexus are for people who are in it for the long software support and quick updates.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Preach it binge. It wont change though, thats the reason the return period was shortened. Its just funny that guy made a huge scene to get one early and woulsnt return it when bb first asked him to then he rebuys it to return it a day later. What a waste of time and money like he complained about in the first place.

Me purchasing a phone before its launched was exciting yes. I shared my tale but should I keep it with all the flaws it had just because I was able to buy it early? During the last week I had two of them and both had multiple issues. Instead of continually taking it back and hoping for one without defects I decided to go with what I knew would work. Its my business and preference to pay $300 for something I'm satisfied with. Please think of me the next time you buy something expensive and you take it back because it had defects.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reactions: k6tcher

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Me purchasing a phone before its launched was exciting yes. I shared my tale but should I keep it with all the flaws it had just because I was able to buy it early? During the last week I had two of them and both had multiple issues. Instead of continually taking it back and hoping for one without defects I decided to go with what I knew would work. Its my business and preference to pay $300 for something I'm satisfied with. Please think of me the next time you buy something expensive and you take it back because it had defects.

It had defects yet you bought it twice? Come on quit bs'ing. Still doesnt change the fact if one had flaws why waste another purchase on it? Nice try though. Have fun with your razr.

Last edited:

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
iPhones have no return period if bought from a number of retailers, and often can only be exchanged if defective. That's just in response to that comment about cost of device vs. return policy.

We're speaking the same language here. It's not meant to condemn product returns as a whole, but plenty of folks would only have to pay $199 if there had to be a ligitimate defect with the device. Buyer's remorse over a "phantom" blemish is overblown. I understand this person had signal issues, but working in the industry I find that people will return a phone because the color never grew on them or something to that effect. These aren't defects and work perfectly so I'd openly criticise but please keep in mind I am speaking from a personal belief about waste management and personal responsibility.

A guy purposefully goes to BB to see if he can get a pre-launch Nexus, breaks the store's street date, and causes the store to get a fine. He takes the nexus home feels like it didn't live up to the hype and now he returns it for a number of reasons that are not related to it's intended functionality. I say intended functionality because launches for devices are rarely perfect and Nexus are for people who are in it for the long software support and quick updates.

I consider the screen issues I had on both my nexus phones to be defects. I don't think its normal to have thick dark grey lines from the top to bottom of the screen. Kinda annoying IMHO

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for not going ballistic on me for using you as an example. What happened happened, right?

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the bottom line is that if you had ANY hardware issues at all with a $300 item in a time of recession when raises are scarce at your job, YOU would be ignorant and wasteful to NOT return it. If you exchanged it and still had issues, why not give up and move on to something else?

If your phone seems to have no hardware issues and you feel a firmware update will fix whatever else might not shine through enough, then YOU are lucky and I am glad for you.

There are names for people who have a "sucks to be you..." "so stop complaining..." attitude. Shame there seems to be more of those individuals in the world lately.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the bottom line is that if you had ANY hardware issues at all with a $300 item in a time of recession when raises are scarce at your job, YOU would be ignorant and wasteful to NOT return it. If you exchanged it and still had issues, why not give up and move on to something else?

If your phone seems to have no hardware issues and you feel a firmware update will fix whatever else might not shine through enough, then YOU are lucky and I am glad for you.

There are names for people who have a "sucks to be you..." "so stop complaining..." attitude. Shame there seems to be more of those individuals in the world lately.

If you wanna use that card then why spend 300 on a phone when you can get one that does the exact same thing for much cheaper???

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
If you wanna use that card then why spend 300 on a phone when you can get one that does the exact same thing for much cheaper???

Now that is a joke, right?

Show me a cheaper phone with vanilla ICS right now....
...or even a more expensive phone ftm.

I had a bad experience. You aren't/didn't. Fine.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Wow, talk about haters.

I was the OP on a similar thread. Why all the haters against people who make polite posts about why they don't like the phone?

These ARE useful posts, as they help educate others

Reactions: Andy847