Sent back the Nexus... feel...

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
... relieved.

Well... I know... not another one of these threads, right?

But I felt maybe there are a few others like me out there who might want to hear my experiences with the Nexus.

Back story:
Been waiting for the Nexus since September. Passed on all other phones until VzW released it on 12/15. Almost ordered a Rezound the last weeks of November.

Now:
I really loved my phone. The new UI with ICS was everything I knew it would be. I really feel there will not be another "stock" version of ICS from Moto or HTC, so this was my only shot at pure Google for awhile.
The screen was... good enough. The colors were too blue-greenish for me. But otherwise, the screen was above and beyond my DX. I could actually see the Nexus outside!!!!
I am in a 3G only area so the speed of 4G didn't enter into any factors for me.

Why Return:
I did NOT listen to people who said Samsung's radios and build quality were crap. I have owned Aliases from Samsung and a Galaxy Tab 10.1..... All of those devices seemed great.
So I didn't listen. I should have.
The radio in the Nexus sucks. Even the word "sucks" is not strong enough to describe the disappointment it is. I dropped two calls yesterday and missed a call completely today (while on my 3G network extender). My Moto phones hold a signal far better and drop 0 calls in my area.
The screen had horizontal banding across it when dimmed too low.
The battery life was unbelievably less than my comparable 3G DX. My DX gets about 1 1/2 days of use on a full charge. I guess I am spoiled when it comes to not worrying about charging.
The camera is not any better than my DX camera. In fact, the DX has more detail in the pics it takes using 6 MPs. The 8 MP pics my DX takes trumps the camera in the Nexus. I am a teacher and need a camera on the fly sometimes. The Nexus would NOT be remotely adequate for me. Sad.

The final straw: I had my phone sitting on my desk today, made a call, sat it back down and the darn thing had a "nick" in the plastic that surrounds the screen near the power button. The nick itself was above the power button closest to the screen but on the inside rim near the screen itself. Kinda hard to describe. The point is, it could not have been caused by an impact due to its location (and there was not any force or impact applied to the phone). Phantom nicks??? Give me a break Samsung!

Not trying to troll for Motorola as I am sick of their humpy-rectangular slabs. Google did a great job with ICS, Samsung dropped the ball. This is a cheap phone and not worth $649 (or even $300).

Just sharing why I returned it.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Wish you the best of luck...and I hope that you find what you are looking for...

{why does my response sound like a dear john letter...}

anyway, best of luck...

Reactions: k6tcher

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
You cant compare a 3g phone to a 4g phone for battery life. Smh not to mention you didnt even give it time for the big bug fix.. but good luck with whatever you choose.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The radios in the Nexus are about as good as the radios in the HTC Thunderbolt. They are only slightly off from one another. I have also owned the Nexus since it launched and have yet to drop a call. I know some of this is all opinionated but I felt the need to point out there is nothing wrong with the radio in the phone.

As for picture quality Ive taken some pretty nice pics with it myself. Just as good as most any other phone. Granted I realize there are phones that do take better but these aren't exactly bad either. The MP on the sensor doesn't really mean squat other than the size of the pic. The quality of the sensor is everything. To each their own though and I hope your happy with whatever you decide on. I happen to love my Nexus.

LangHoo

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Man, that was a long story just to say someone returned a phone. Just sharing why I don't care. The good news is one less whiner on this board.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. My experience has been the opposite. No dropped calls, and signal is equal to, if not better than my DX. The call quality is actually a little better than my DX as well. The camera also, is of higher quality than my DX. Perhaps your device was defective?

As for "phantom nicks", no comment... except that defies logic and common sense.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: iastonish

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I came from a droid x. I got about 7 hours use daily myself and I find the nexus doing the same for me on 3g since 4g is hit or miss around me. Screen the nexus kills the x. I can see the nexus in the sun. I put them side by side and the colors are very dull on the x and I thought they were good before. I see the banding on the nexus on min brightness. I moved up to half and have no issues. Camera on the x was slow. Yes the nexus is not the best looking photos but I wouldn't say the x was far better. I love moto build quality and I too find the build of the nexus not as good as the x. Maybe next year moto will get the nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the radios are fine. I haven't had any problems with not having signal. The software, I'm sure, is the problem. I'm constantly dropping data. Sometimes the 3G and 4G icons will disappear and I can't access data. Sometimes I'll have the 3 and 4G icons and data doesn't work, yet I always have at least 1 bar of signal.

I also have an issue with switching from CDMA/LTE to CDMA and vice versa. When I do that, I drop signal while it switches and it takes a couple minutes for my data to be restored. It's really annoying.

I'm really hoping my signal issues will be addressed in the next update because it's getting really frustrating to use this phone sometimes.

DF400ex

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I got the Nexus for my wife and she loves it. Unfortunately my OG Droid died when the Bionic came out so I had to get that (still a solid phone) and couldn't hold out for the Nexus

So far I like her Nexus, especially because of the possibilities from the development community... but I am really looking forward to the first Nexus to come out of the Google Moto marriage.

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Your phone was holy and had Stigmata! Maybe everything you touch is holy! To test this, go make a grilled cheese sandwich. If there's a picture of Jesus on it after it is done cooking, you are indeed worthy!

phantom nicks. lol. I've never heard something more absurd.

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I hear a lot of positive feedback from customers leaving with the Nexus around south western PA. That's really interesting considering they are roaming on another carrier going into WV. From all the techs I've spoken to the Nexus may not be updating PRL information regularly like other devices with SIMs. Ask if your tech support (phone tech not local) if they can push a PRL update to your SIM.

Reactions: xyzlene

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
LOL.... The point in the "phantom" comment was that I did zero to directly cause it. If I had to bet a few dollars on it, I'd reason it was already a stressed point in the thinly cheap plastic that surrounds the screen (the bezel) and that pushing the power button finished it in. I.E.: Cheap.

phantom nicks. lol. I've never heard something more absurd.

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
LOL.... The point in the "phantom" comment was that I did zero to directly cause it. If I had to bet a few dollars on it, I'd reason it was already a stressed point in the thinly cheap plastic that surrounds the screen (the bezel) and that pushing the power button finished it in. I.E.: Cheap.

All I can tell you is that I had a Samsung Vibrant for almost a year and a half, also with what you would call "cheap" plastic, and when I sold it, it looked brand new, like it was never used. Not a ding, dent, scratch, or imperfection.

And you know what? The plastic body on the Nexus is much higher grade than what I had. I highly doubt that "pushing the power button" is what caused your Nexus to nick up so quickly. You must have either done something to it inadvertently (and hey, nobody is above doing that btw), or it came out of the box like that and you didn't notice it at first, or yours was defective.

Judging by your laundry list of complaints though, the Nexus probably isn't for you. I hope you get a better phone.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
... relieved.

Well... I know... not another one of these threads, right?

But I felt maybe there are a few others like me out there who might want to hear my experiences with the Nexus.

Back story:
Been waiting for the Nexus since September. Passed on all other phones until VzW released it on 12/15. Almost ordered a Rezound the last weeks of November.

Now:
I really loved my phone. The new UI with ICS was everything I knew it would be. I really feel there will not be another "stock" version of ICS from Moto or HTC, so this was my only shot at pure Google for awhile.
The screen was... good enough. The colors were too blue-greenish for me. But otherwise, the screen was above and beyond my DX. I could actually see the Nexus outside!!!!
I am in a 3G only area so the speed of 4G didn't enter into any factors for me.

Why Return:
I did NOT listen to people who said Samsung's radios and build quality were crap. I have owned Aliases from Samsung and a Galaxy Tab 10.1..... All of those devices seemed great.
So I didn't listen. I should have.
The radio in the Nexus sucks. Even the word "sucks" is not strong enough to describe the disappointment it is. I dropped two calls yesterday and missed a call completely today (while on my 3G network extender). My Moto phones hold a signal far better and drop 0 calls in my area.
The screen had horizontal banding across it when dimmed too low.
The battery life was unbelievably less than my comparable 3G DX. My DX gets about 1 1/2 days of use on a full charge. I guess I am spoiled when it comes to not worrying about charging.
The camera is not any better than my DX camera. In fact, the DX has more detail in the pics it takes using 6 MPs. The 8 MP pics my DX takes trumps the camera in the Nexus. I am a teacher and need a camera on the fly sometimes. The Nexus would NOT be remotely adequate for me. Sad.

The final straw: I had my phone sitting on my desk today, made a call, sat it back down and the darn thing had a "nick" in the plastic that surrounds the screen near the power button. The nick itself was above the power button closest to the screen but on the inside rim near the screen itself. Kinda hard to describe. The point is, it could not have been caused by an impact due to its location (and there was not any force or impact applied to the phone). Phantom nicks??? Give me a break Samsung!

Not trying to troll for Motorola as I am sick of their humpy-rectangular slabs. Google did a great job with ICS, Samsung dropped the ball. This is a cheap phone and not worth $649 (or even $300).

Just sharing why I returned it.

I've done the same thing for all the same reasons. I too had a phantom nick. Its weird but when I saw it I was baffeled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz