Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SSHGuru
  • 1 Post By lockdown571
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How does whites look on yours?

Hey guys, I know the screen of the Nexus has been of much debate since it's announcement and subsequent reviews. I'm actually have a good experience with mine though. Just have one question, does the whites look slightly grayish? Like when opening up an app or web page that has most white color. Just trying to see if it's just me or this is just how the screen is. Just to be clear that white text and icons and even when the screen is on to be used as a flashlight looks white with no question. Just backgrounds in apps and web pages. Just as a comparison, all whites look fine on my Rezound. But I think the rezound screen is better anyway. Anyhow, anyone else seeing this?
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: How does whites look on yours?

Mine has like a bluish tint.

At lower screen brightness its grayish but past 2/3 brightness its white

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ROM
    Jelly Bean

If my screen is dimmed they'll be a little grayish, but any sort of brightness and they light right up to white.

Same, Grey when low, white when medium brightness and on.

+1 for greyish when dim and white on medium and full brightness levels.
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

White on about 35-40% brightness. Greyish lower than that.

Screen looks fantastic.
    Stang68 likes this.

Yeah looks really funky to me. It's not just whites either. Solid colors look muddled to me, it's just more noticeable with white. I don't see why this issue wasn't mentioned in more reviews. Text doesn't look great either. Overall I'm very disappointed by the display, and I bet the cause of these issues is the pentile array.

I came from an iPhone 4, and while the galaxy nexus's display is bigger, more vibrant, and has better blacks, the iPhone display is better in many regards, particularly with text and sold colors/whites.
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

Maybe your phone is defective. I find the screen to look fantastic. No solid color problems at all.

Yeah, you might have a bad screen and if it isnt that bad now, it may get worse. A return is in order.

Frankly if you can find a store in your area and compare your screens at various brightnesses. This will weed out the possiblity of a bunch of issues you may have with your AMOLED panel.

I'll try to do that. However, considering the number of other people in this thread who also describe their whites as grayish, my problem doesn't seem unique. Indeed turning up the brightness helps, but that's not a very good solution considering the impact on battery life.
    Thanked by:
    BiNGE 

The only reviewer that really said something about it was :

"Generally, I'm in love with the Galaxy Nexus screen, though it isn't exactly perfect. As with the Nexus S, I noticed some color aberrations and odd striations which were visible when there was a large swath of solid, lighter colors visible (a plain gray background, for instance). This problem seemed less obvious when the brightness was a bit higher, however."

This is a really good description of what I'm seeing. I might have exaggerated, because I do think the screen is very good overall. The iPhone's screen is just better in some respects, and I think that's going to end when a conventional RGB stripe is implemented (hopefully in the next Nexus).
    BiNGE likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I do wish the whites weren't grayish when the brightness is down. Since with these devices you generally need to turn the brightness down to preserve battery life it's slightly disappointed. My Rezound and iPhone 4 look white at any brightness so that's my point of comparison. But it looks like what I am seeing is pretty normal. So I'm good though. Thanks again.

I am slightly disappointed by the amount of "noise" when there is certain solid colors such as gray,white or blue, where you can see lines almost and noise. But then when I watch videos it is absolutely stunning so it is kind of weird.