Verizon looking into the signal strength issue, software coming

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...ss-galaxy-nexus-signal-strength-in-the-works/

"Reports started to flow in over the weekend that the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon was experiencing signal strength issues and possibly dropping calls like a mutha. Can?t say that I have noticed the dropped call issue myself, but it does seem tough to ever get a full 4 bars of LTE on this puppy. I?m also not having to toggle in and out of airplane mode as much as some have claimed, but then again, I have had to a couple of times and that?s unfortunate. Some have locked onto the idea that the 4.0.2 update somehow broke signal strength ? the jury is still out on that.

So what is Verizon doing about it? There official Twitter support account claimed this morning that an investigation has started and that a software update ?is being developed.? Wait, so that essentially says two things: that they aren?t sure yet and are looking into it or they already know the issue and are fixing it. Hmmm. Either way, the issue is on their radar and we could see something in no time, being a Nexus and all."

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon looking into the signal strength issue, software comi

At least verizon is acknowledging it, with the random reboots and other issues with the tb anytime you would call they would act like they never heard of it.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I didn't notice any degredation in signal strength after the upgrade to 4.0.2. I'm on 3g though (no LTE signal where I live)

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

Interesting. I seem to have full bars all day everyday.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

My 4G is 0-2 bars with a full signal every now and then. So should it be easier for VZ/Google to issue a fix since this is a stock phone. This is where having a nexus shines right? Like Apple, the fixes should come quickly unlike HTC and Moto where it takes months? I hope. Or else im gonna have to call VZ.

Defconrock

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

The good news is that the update shouldn't take a year since it's a Nexus.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I didn't notice any degredation in signal strength after the upgrade to 4.0.2. I'm on 3g though (no LTE signal where I live)

I think it didn't get worse for some, they just have really high dbm which is causing this and also causing a quicker drain on battery. I know my nexus has a higher dbm than other phones I have had in the same places.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

This is very interesting because i dont have any issues with signal strength or calls dropping. The call quality has been superb and no issues to report. I get better signal then my evo 4G everywhere in san Diego.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

the actualy voice signal doesnt seem to be the issue...its the data signal that is dropping or low for some people

at my work i used to get full LTE on my thunderbolt all day, with the nexus it drops to 3G way to often

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Call quality is great for me and I've never dropped a signal when I actually notice. The only thing I've noticed is that up until today, I would basically stay in 3G at my house most of the time.

Now I never got incredible speeds at my house anyway (5-7Mbps) so I would always use wifi anyway, but I would still hold 4G most of the time on my Thunderbolt. I had pretty much accepted the fact that I would stay in 3G on this phone when at home, however this morning before I left for work I turned wifi off like I always do before I leave the house and I had 4G.

So who knows. Again I don't have any issues whatsoever with call quality or keeping a signal, in fact I think I have better call signal than I did with the Thunderbolt in my house, it's just the data isn't always 4G like it used to be.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Glad I'm not having any issues. I've never seen full bars, but I'm yet to drop a call or have a slow internet connection,

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Verizon's been looking into it since Day 1. Verizon's also been looking into why it gets lower quadrant scores than it probably should. (Again, why we no longer waste time on benchmarks.)

This is what carriers do, people.

People get so up in arms about everything. I am sure verizon's testers caught this and they are working on a fix. Not like they are sitting around twirling their thumbs lol.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Yeah hopefully they fix this soon.. I am getting 2 bars max of 4g everywhere I go.. Im in a LTE city all the way around plus my rezound used to have full bars all the time so I know its this phone!

Reactions: Ken7

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Mine has issues and as I had mentioned before in another post when comparing the dBm signal of my Nexus to the rezound and the Razr side by side both those products had anywhere from 12-26 dBm signal strength better than my GN I've only seen my dBm get into the -90 only once the rest of the time it's sually -103 dBm - 118 dBm. So yes there is a major concern with this new flagship phone with signal strength as many has reported, I'm guessing most of us aren't sitting right next to a LTE boooster tower as some have reported not having any issues. Those of you that don't thats great but I bet if you left your area and went out to the outter edges of 4g then you will have same issues as the majority of us are seeing.

James

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I agree, having a nexus, the fact the phone has been out 4 days and Verizon is aware of the issue and is working on it bodes very well for us. I suspect we should see something either before 4.0.3 or with it. It was noted that there are newer radio stacks in 4.0.3 so perhaps Verizon will utilize those.

Besides it could be worse, we could be using iPhones where the signal indicator was showing far more bars than your signal really was. In essence they were lying to users.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

I drove to my parents house today, normally my TB would have 4G the entire time... My Nexus didnt have 4G at all, the whole way...

Definitely an issue for me
(loc: Tampa Florida)

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Verizon's been looking into it since Day 1. Verizon's also been looking into why it gets lower quadrant scores than it probably should. (Again, why we no longer waste time on benchmarks.)

This is what carriers do, people.

Fully understand that. But, they also need to know what they need to look into. Feedback from the customer is definitely one way to know. Although there are good and bad ways to provide that feedback.

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

To me it almost seems like the signal strength is underreporting. The call quality seems fine on few or no bars. I seem to have no problems with data as well.

Easton091

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Thunderbolt, I can say the GN definetly has a weaker 4g signal. Used to have 3-4 bars in my house now I'm lucky to get 2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos