Question on email and sync

Easton091

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
In order to receive email, do you have to turn sync on? I use Gmail and Hotmail. I thought sync uses up battery when turned on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
In order to receive email, do you have to turn sync on? I use Gmail and Hotmail. I thought sync uses up battery when turned on.

Of course you have to have sync on in order to sync your email accounts... and yes, it will use battery, but that battery is negligible and it is what you want your smartphone to do... isn't it??? After all you want to know when you receive emails... if you don't then leave your sync turned off.

Easton091

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
OK thanks. With my thunderbolt I never had sync on but always got my email.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
BUMP.

I just bought the Galaxy Nexus - love it.

Similar question here: The VZW rep told me to turn off Sync from the power management widget to save battery. I'm a little confused as to what sync does.

Coming from BlackBerry - all email was instant. I understand all email outside of gmail comes in 15-30 minute (whatever you choose) intervals. If I turn off sync, this means I will not receive email at all?

Does this apply for all accounts that Sync shows up for in Settings -> Accounts and Sync?

For instance, if i do not have Facebook or Twitter set to sync, will I not receive updates from those applications? Same for GroupMe, etc.?

I thought the sync feature for other applications was only to sync them up with your contacts. Is that not the case?

Thanks for any help, and let me know if you need further clarification of the issue. I'm new to Android.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
BUMP.

I just bought the Galaxy Nexus - love it.

Similar question here: The VZW rep told me to turn off Sync from the power management widget to save battery. I'm a little confused as to what sync does.

Coming from BlackBerry - all email was instant. I understand all email outside of gmail comes in 15-30 minute (whatever you choose) intervals. If I turn off sync, this means I will not receive email at all?

Does this apply for all accounts that Sync shows up for in Settings -> Accounts and Sync?

For instance, if i do not have Facebook or Twitter set to sync, will I not receive updates from those applications? Same for GroupMe, etc.?

I thought the sync feature for other applications was only to sync them up with your contacts. Is that not the case?

Thanks for any help, and let me know if you need further clarification of the issue. I'm new to Android.

You can choose what you want to sync (contacts, gmail, etc and how often). I have my facebook and twitter to sync once every hour, but no contacts. Syncing less often saves battery usage

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You can choose what you want to sync (contacts, gmail, etc and how often). I have my facebook and twitter to sync once every hour, but no contacts. Syncing less often saves battery usage

Thanks. I think it makes sense now. There are options within apps to set sync frequency, and then options from the phone settings as well. Just have to manage them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz