Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 2000army
  • 2 Post By captaincaveman
  • 1 Post By Droid800
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I hope my Galaxy Nexus is a lemon...

Ok, so I have seen posts on here and elsewhere about the many bugs with the Galaxy Nexus... of which I seem to have them all... and then some. Also to make matters MUCH worse, is Verizon Wireless' crappy tech support hours (but yet 24 hour sales... shows how much they value current customers...) alas I digress.

In the first 12 hours of having the device in hand, I had to do 5 factory resets/restore actions.

First occurred after encrypting the device and changing the password and SIM pin. Result, Locked out, PUK would not work until AFTER doing factory reset.

Second and third occurred as a result of the wi-fi bug (leaving wi-fi on leaving wi-fi coverage area) which resulted in boot loops, the third occurred because my fiances damn cat knocked my router off which resulted in pulling the power cord out (I wanted to make a kitty belt after that one).... so the inevitable manual boot loader restore had to be performed.

4th time was AFTER it had just reinstalled/downloaded all the apps and resynced again. It suddenly did not want to connect to the network AT ALL. I was at home and I always had perfect signal with my Droid X. It worked fine for about 40-50 minutes, and did it again, to make the fifth round. I tried the changes to network settings, airplane mode, etc. and waited 30 minutes, battery pull etc. So with a phone about as reliable as the federal govt, I decided, ok, I'll activate my droid X again so I can make calls in the mean time (have family traveling for the holidays as we speak... kinda need a phone that works....) and when going through the prompts to do so, I hear the 'your SIM card will no longer work after activating this phone' without any sort of message to prevent it otherwise, then immediately cuts to the cheesy music. So now my SIM card is no longer valid (why they do this... I don't know...) and I have a very very nice high tech paperweight/miniature Nook color known as my Galaxy Nexus.

The only reason I went with this damn phone was because of verizon forcing motorola to lock the boot loader on the RAZR, as well as the whole Droid RAZR having internal battery only (kinda hard to do a battery pull then ain't it??).

Seriously Verizon has totally gone down hill, as from what I have read there have been tons of issues with LTE devices and the network. I really really am starting to detest verizon, because if I pay someone $120 a month (2 phones, 1 tab), and upgrade to a $300 phone, I expect to get some decent service for that. But like the old saying goes, you can build 100 bridges, blaze 100 trails, but you screw one pooch, and you are forever known as the one who screwed the pooch....

I am trying to hold out some hope about the device itself, that I just had a lemon and somehow got one that had all the bugs and problems ever. It upgraded to 4.0.2 right after teh first activation. I was hoping to be able to switch to my old phone (to actually be able to use what I am friggin paying for) until I get it settled in the AM when the tech support people come back in. But now I have to go hit up the Verizon store, when I am already pissed off and agitated, and losing sleep because of this, which I really don't want to do.

Anyone else have this horrendous a GNex experience? Is it likely that I received a lemon (or that the fedex driver was drunk battering it in the box maybe... lol) and just need a new device and SIM card? Or is LTE and Verizon (not to forget the Galaxy Nexus itself...) just becoming that problematic that it is time I have my lawyer write a nice brief describing all the ways Verizon has failed to uphold their end of the contract and switch carriers???

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default Re: I hope my Galaxy Nexus is a lemon...

there is a nationwide outage for data on 4g phones right now ... 3g phones are ok
    onthewhole likes this.

I love my phone.

Message sent by Hal 9000 aboard the Discovery One spacecraft heading toward Jupiter.
    DroidRage79 and st0ic_1 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by WTFiswithGNex View Post
    Ok, so I have seen posts on here and elsewhere about the many bugs with the Galaxy Nexus... of which I seem to have them all... and then some. Also to make matters MUCH worse, is Verizon Wireless' crappy tech support hours (but yet 24 hour sales... shows how much they value current customers...) alas I digress.

In the first 12 hours of having the device in hand, I had to do 5 factory resets/restore actions.

First occurred after encrypting the device and changing the password and SIM pin. Result, Locked out, PUK would not work until AFTER doing factory reset.

Second and third occurred as a result of the wi-fi bug (leaving wi-fi on leaving wi-fi coverage area) which resulted in boot loops, the third occurred because my fiances damn cat knocked my router off which resulted in pulling the power cord out (I wanted to make a kitty belt after that one).... so the inevitable manual boot loader restore had to be performed.

4th time was AFTER it had just reinstalled/downloaded all the apps and resynced again. It suddenly did not want to connect to the network AT ALL. I was at home and I always had perfect signal with my Droid X. It worked fine for about 40-50 minutes, and did it again, to make the fifth round. I tried the changes to network settings, airplane mode, etc. and waited 30 minutes, battery pull etc. So with a phone about as reliable as the federal govt, I decided, ok, I'll activate my droid X again so I can make calls in the mean time (have family traveling for the holidays as we speak... kinda need a phone that works....) and when going through the prompts to do so, I hear the 'your SIM card will no longer work after activating this phone' without any sort of message to prevent it otherwise, then immediately cuts to the cheesy music. So now my SIM card is no longer valid (why they do this... I don't know...) and I have a very very nice high tech paperweight/miniature Nook color known as my Galaxy Nexus.

The only reason I went with this damn phone was because of verizon forcing motorola to lock the boot loader on the RAZR, as well as the whole Droid RAZR having internal battery only (kinda hard to do a battery pull then ain't it??).

Seriously Verizon has totally gone down hill, as from what I have read there have been tons of issues with LTE devices and the network. I really really am starting to detest verizon, because if I pay someone $120 a month (2 phones, 1 tab), and upgrade to a $300 phone, I expect to get some decent service for that. But like the old saying goes, you can build 100 bridges, blaze 100 trails, but you screw one pooch, and you are forever known as the one who screwed the pooch....

I am trying to hold out some hope about the device itself, that I just had a lemon and somehow got one that had all the bugs and problems ever. It upgraded to 4.0.2 right after teh first activation. I was hoping to be able to switch to my old phone (to actually be able to use what I am friggin paying for) until I get it settled in the AM when the tech support people come back in. But now I have to go hit up the Verizon store, when I am already pissed off and agitated, and losing sleep because of this, which I really don't want to do.

Anyone else have this horrendous a GNex experience? Is it likely that I received a lemon (or that the fedex driver was drunk battering it in the box maybe... lol) and just need a new device and SIM card? Or is LTE and Verizon (not to forget the Galaxy Nexus itself...) just becoming that problematic that it is time I have my lawyer write a nice brief describing all the ways Verizon has failed to uphold their end of the contract and switch carriers???
    There's a nationwide outage for 4g devices, which explains the network issues.

As for the sim thing: its been like that since the invention of the sim card. As soon as it is inactive, its dead. Nothing Verizon can do will prevent that.

Your other problems sound like you just got a lemon. I've experienced none of them. Go exchange it.

Also, you need to understand that this network is still very much in its infancy. To be blunt, if you expect that issues won't crop up, you expect too much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    st0ic_1 likes this.

I travel internationally abouf 5 fimes a year and I kept my DInc2 since if is a world phone. My plan is fo switch to the DInc2 before each grip and switch back after. I did a pfactice fun. Switched to the DInc2 with no issues using Verizon website. Tried switching back to GNex after 3 hours using the website and it couldnt reactivate fhe sim card. Called VZW support and they reactivated so I figured everything would work for my trips. Since then I read that deactivated sim cards become permantly deactivated at midnight. I haven't tested this but I read it on multiple sites so I am assuming it is true. This is only a problem switching between a 3g and 4g phone. I am planning on getting rid of the DInc2 and maybe buying a second phone when Verizon makes a 4g world phone. I read that switching between 4g phones is easy since all you have to do is take the sim card out of one phone and pug it in the other.

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

Lawyering up should be a last resort, not an intimidation tactic.

ROM

Sounds like someone is having a bad case of the Mondays. Great forum name, btw.

It's a new device, running a brand-new OS, on a network that's totally different than the other carriers (and having growing pains with technology, management, plus simultaneously attempting to keep customers happy).

I knew this going in, and know there will be hiccups along the way to adopting a cutting-edge device and network. However, if you require a phone for your livelihood, then perhaps VZW isn't the most reliable carrier for LTE at the current time for you (not intending this in a mean or sarcastic way, honestly).

Quote Originally Posted by PureAndroid View Post
    I travel internationally abouf 5 fimes a year and I kept my DInc2 since if is a world phone. My plan is fo switch to the DInc2 before each grip and switch back after. I did a pfactice fun.
    Reverting to a 3G phone on your line results in a trip back to the verizon store in order to get a new SIM card when you want to use your 4G phone again. That happened to me when I broke the screen on my Thunderbolt and reverted to my droid for a week while I got it fixed.

I suggest you cool down and get all your facts straight before you go to the store. The in-store reps already have their guard up for people that are ready to attack them etc.... Just be cool and explain your issues.

If it makes you feel any better, if I put my phone in my pocket I lose signal. I don't know whether to go to the Verizon store for help or call my doctor.

I know this doesn't help your current situation but I saw you mentioned it. If you press power and vol up on the razr it simulates a battery pull and it works very very well. I wish all phones did that even if it had a removable battery.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

I know it's not what you want to hear, but there are apparently good ones out there as well. I experience none of the issues you describe. Can you not get an exchange?

For the record, I am in one of the original LTE test markets (RTP, NC), so maybe we're a little more debugged? I can't get 4g everywhere I can 3, but where I can it is both reliable and crazy fast (34.6 u / 17.2 d recently). Signal strength display seems plausible...2-3 bars most places and I have seen 4, but this is my 1st 4g phone, so no comparisons.

I do see the grainyness at (very) low screen brightness that seems to be a common complaint, but honestly, it is *so* fine to my eyes that at normal viewing distance it is essentially invisible. I do not have the more pronounced vertical striping that some screenshots seem to show.

Honestly, that's my only real complaint. Maybe app incompatibility w/forced GPU rendering, but that's not really the phone's fault.