gnex autodialing vzw for updates?

joat25

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
greetings folks-
woke up this morning to the sound of my gnex calling the verizon activation line.
When i checked the update history, sure enough, it showed a check at 4:54AM (that is when it autodialed vzw).
is this a normal way to obtain updates for the gnex (i'm a bit new to android)?
anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I literally came over here to post about this when I saw your post. Mine just did the same thing. I carry my phone in my shirt pocket at work and heard it playing that annoying VZ update hold music. I looked and the phone was in a call to *22899. I disconnected. A minute later I watched as the phone initiated the call again. Once again I disconnected only to have the phone do it once more. I allowed it to finish and it announced that my phone had been updated successfully and hung up. WTF?! :confused: I've owned several Android/WinMo/iPhones and none have ever auto dialed the carrier for any reason.

***UPDATE***
I'm not 100% certain but this may be related to the data outage from earlier. My phone had neither 3 nor 4G before the call but both are now functioning.

Last edited:

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine did this when I first got it, but it was unable to activate because of a bad SIM. It just kept stalker calling over, and over.

daso

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine did this as well a few ays after I got my GN. I heard the verizon music and looked at my phone and saw it had dialed *2288? I called verizon to ask them why and they said it was probably trying to update, but that 4G devices are not supposed to access this number. As always, they said do a battery pull to reset. It hasn't happenned again so far.

GSAI

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me 3-4 times now. Pretty weird. I couldn't send texts for a good few hours, then the number autdialed again and all my texts went in and out.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty