Possible Fix for reception issues

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I had a hunch yesterday about possible reception and battery issues. I seem to have noticed a big difference (especially in 4G signal). Not everyone is experiencing this... so I think it could be an error with the original image, or the update. I also haven't heard many issues if any with custom ROMs currently available, further pointing to my hunch. You will lose all your data if you haven't already unlocked the bootloader and installed clockwork mod to backup your data.

Step 1:
Unlock your bootloader if you haven't already done this. THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONEI made a Mac tutorial on how to do it.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tF-Sz_yjYI[/YT]
The windows and linux tutorials are very similar. If you have the sdk and fastboot put into the platform-tools folder of the sdk, all you do is:
Code:
cd android-sdk-mac_x86/platform-tools
./fastboot oem unlock

Step 2:
If you already had your phone unlocked and don't want to lose your data, flash clockwork mod recovery by following this Mac tutorial (windows/linux is similar, but not exactly the same)
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiCjdoUheU[/YT]
reboot into the recovery and then do a full backup. Save the backup to a computer or online service. Your phone will wipe and this step will become null and void.
If you need a walkthrough on recoveries... here's one I did on my thunderbolt:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4_y3ocJXo[/YT]

Step 3:
Load the factory image provided by google (thanks Jerry!)
Go here and download the "toro" 4.0.2 factory image. It will be a tar folder with another zip folder inside. Since I don't think the actual radio image is the issue, I left it out and am experiencing great results. What you will want to do is extract from the zip, a) boot.img, b) system.img c) userdata.img (optional recovery.img if you want the stock recovery) and put them in the platform-tools folder of the sdk, or any other folder with fastboot and adb for your operating system. Since I use the SDK, my directions will be for that.
Here is the code you'll want to do:
Code:
./fastboot flash boot boot.img
./fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
./fastboot flash system system.img

if you noticed the pattern above, you can repeat with the recovery and radio if you want. Make sure the files match what you type.

4) (Optional) restore from your backup. You can do a custom restore of the backup you made earlier and just restore the data. I didn't do this so YMMV.

5) Profit (or you can troll the boards). You have a nexus device which allows this to be done relatively easily. The files are provided directly from google.

6) (Optional) you can lock the bootloader back up by following the unlocking steps above and replacing unlock with lock. You will not experience data loss with locking the bootloader.

Last edited:

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I had a hunch yesterday about possible reception and battery issues. I seem to have noticed a big difference (especially in 4G signal). Not everyone is experiencing this... so I think it could be an error with the original image, or the update. I also haven't heard many issues if any with custom ROMs currently available, further pointing to my hunch. You will lose all your data if you haven't already unlocked the bootloader and installed clockwork mod to backup your data.

Step 1:
Unlock your bootloader if you haven't already done this. THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONEI made a Mac tutorial on how to do it.
Click to view quoted video
The windows and linux tutorials are very similar. If you have the sdk and fastboot put into the platform-tools folder of the sdk, all you do is:
Code:
./fastboot oem unlock

Step 2:
If you already had your phone unlocked and don't want to lose your data, flash clockwork mod recovery by following this Mac tutorial (windows/linux is similar, but not exactly the same)
reboot into the recovery and then do a full backup. Save the backup to a computer or online service. Your phone will wipe and this step will become null and void.
If you need a walkthrough on recoveries... here's one I did on my thunderbolt:

Step 3:
Load the factory image provided by google (thanks Jerry!)
Go here and download the "toro" 4.0.2 factory image. It will be a tar folder with another zip folder inside. Since I don't think the actual radio image is the issue, I left it out and am experiencing great results. What you will want to do is extract from the zip, a) boot.img, b) system.img c) userdata.img (optional recovery.img if you want the stock recovery) and put them in the platform-tools folder of the sdk, or any other folder with fastboot and adb for your operating system. Since I use the SDK, my directions will be for that.
Here is the code you'll want to do:
Code:
./fastboot flash boot boot.img
./fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
./fastboot flash system system.img

if you noticed the pattern above, you can repeat with the recovery and radio if you want. Make sure the files match what you type.

4) (Optional) restore from your backup. You can do a custom restore of the backup you made earlier and just restore the data. I didn't do this so YMMV.

5) Profit (or you can troll the boards). You have a nexus device which allows this to be done relatively easily. The files are provided directly from google.

or you cant just flash the new radios that were leaked this morning that is pretty much proven to fix the issue.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Nice tutorial, but what exactly does this do to the radio? What kind of improvement did you see on 4G? All of this is very unclear.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
or you cant just flash the new radios that were leaked this morning that is pretty much proven to fix the issue.

Not really. It doesn't explain why I would be benefiting since I left the original radio installed... nor would it explain why custom ROMs work.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
What this does is install the original factory image. Complete wipe. Same thing as if you royally messed up your phone... like I dunno, trying to flash an original Hero image to the phone which obviously wouldn't run since their completely different hardware wise. I think there may be a large batch of phone with a bad image install. You can flash the new radio, that may work. I didn't even need to do that. The original radio compiled in the 4.0.2 update seems fine for me now. Could it hurt? well if you try flashing the wrong radio, sure. I'm simply posting what worked for me, and what may work for others.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Battery life today: about 10 hours better for me. I could get more, but i left everything syncing as i like.
Screenshot_2011-12-22-03-46-11.png

Screenshot_2011-12-22-03-44-52.png

Obligatory speed test.
Screenshot_2011-12-22-03-49-09.png

For once, the correct server was picked automatically. I live on the miami border and it was picking a server in a different time zone. Now it picks miami automatically.