This phone works great!!!

UserError

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Tired of everyone downing this phone. The network came back up in Sugar Land, TX earlier today. I just want to show everyone, that it is the weaker Verizon network and not this phone. This is what I get on a daily basis at home:

Screenshot_2011-12-21-19-11-34.png

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Lol glad you are happy.. as am I :)

Haters always gonna hate, they got nothin else to do and no knowledge.. yeah I went there :p

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Its a very nice phone! ICS is new so it will have bugs and things that need to be added. The Nexus line will aways be sweet cause thats how Google rolls. :cool:

chevyguy8893

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't get over how nice this phone is even with a few bugs, I love it. Even one bar on 4g is still insanely fast to me. I have only dropped to 3g in one area by me, but everywhere else has 4g. I assume it will only get better with more updates.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It really is fantastic. I was one of the lucky ones who wasn't experiences any issues with signal or battery life. A bit ago, I flashed Zygot3's ROM to my phone and now I am experiencing the signal issues lol. I tried both the 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 radios with no luck. I'm really loving being overclocked and having 4.0.3, though. So I'll have to decide if I wanna restore back to stock.

But even with these problems, it's still the best phone I've ever touched.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was the only one that got a good one!! I'm at home (where I generally get so-so reception at best) and I've not dropped any calls and I'm averaging 8-12mbps down. In addition, I haven't noticed any 4G drops. I go to work where I have excellent reception and I've gotten up to 49mbps. Also, coming from an HTC Incredible my battery life is two to three times better with the Nexus and that is with 4G on and syncing on all day.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It really is fantastic. I was one of the lucky ones who wasn't experiences any issues with signal or battery life. A bit ago, I flashed Zygot3's ROM to my phone and now I am experiencing the signal issues lol. I tried both the 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 radios with no luck. I'm really loving being overclocked and having 4.0.3, though. So I'll have to decide if I wanna restore back to stock.

Verizon has had data issues all day.. believe me, Th3ory's rom is not the culprit.. zygot3 has been updated anyway, go grab that new ishhh!! He has a new rom too called Trans3k.. I just flashed it, even better than zygot3.. its an aosp/cm9 hybrid.. trust me, get on it!

kk4df

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My GN must be one of the good ones as well. Sometimes only 1 bar, but always a good connection (except during the 4G outage). I may just be luck, I guess.

For those with signal issues, remember that 4G is not typically installed on every cell tower. VZW pushed out 4G as fast as they did by upgrading every 2nd or 3rd tower. So some still have only 1x and 3G.

And know that when your GN phone (or any 4G phone with a SIM card) connects even to a 3G network, it connects differently than your old 3G phone. Your old 3G phone didn't have a SIM card, and uses only the IMEI or MEID number. The SIM-card phones authenticate using their SIM card. This might explain some of the differences you see in 3G strength, as the authentication methods may connect you to a further tower. Just a thought, nothing to back this up but except some interpretations from articles like the wonderful AnandTech article the other day.

meth68#AC

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Best phone I have ever owned.

No dropped calls
30mb+ down 15mb+ up on lte Is insane
No shutter lag is awesome (though pic quality isn't amazing, I'll take that trade off )
Fast, fast fast

:D

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You guys do realize that coverage varies right? I for one haven't had any issues today at home and I get average 2 bars. At work I get three. But it does drop 4g here and there, whether I have 4 bars or 1 bar. I guess that is typical. However it is still weaker than my Droid razr I had. Razr always got -20dbm better even at 3g. At work I get -98 on 3g and my friend who still has razr had -74dbm on 3g. I love my phone and I hope it only gets better but i do feel for those that are suffering from issues. I can understand their pain. I can't live with 2 drops a day in 4g and I can feel the pain if they are constantly dropping it.

Only problem I do have is that it takes ages to switch to cdma when I don't wanna use 4g.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

this is why its pointless to rom and root.

why upgrade something.. when you know its going to bring problems?

none of these roms are flawless..

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm really happy with the phone as well, but then I was really happy with my TBolt.

I suffer from a phenomenon where my current-phone experience doesn't temper my opinion of my current-phone, it's discovering what's just around the corner that leads me to look at my current phone and say 'meh'.

While I'm self actualized about my condition, there are dozens more on this forum who suffer from the same phenomenon yet aren't even aware of it.

Protip: You'll be able spot them when the next great phone after the GNex draws nigh. Suddenly all the tiny things about their GNex ICS experience they learned to live with become unbearable overnight and they start griping about it here. They'll go on to blame Verizon because it's convenient to do so (HOW COULD THEY RELEASE SUCH A BUGGY PHONE!! ITS DISHONEST AND THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!) and caps off their diatribe with (threatening undertone) their hoping Verizon 'does the right thing' (I love how that phrase is bandied about on these forums) and let's them upgrade the soon-to-be-released HTC Galaxy Droid 4G Xoom 2 at the subsidized price.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just want to add my voice to those who are loving their GNexi! This phone has been fantastic. It's fast and beautiful. I was initially concerned about battery life (when I couldn't keep my hands off it!). Now that I've settled into more regular and typical usage, I get a full days use (16 hours or so) on the standard battery with no trouble (with a little juice still remaining at the end of the day). I haven't had any signal issues. And any issues that I have experienced with the 3G/4G switch have been identical to the issues I had on the Bionic (glad I got rid of that phone). In fact, the GNex has more consistently maintained signal in areas where the Bionic wouldn't.

Definitely a few things I'd love to see updated. But based upon my first week with it, the GNex is definitely the best phone I've had.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
this is why its pointless to rom and root.

why upgrade something.. when you know its going to bring problems?

none of these roms are flawless..

This is just an ignorant statement.. I was going to have a long response but.. I realized it wouldn't be worth it. Just pointing out to any rookies that this statement is very, very ignorant, so they don't get the wrong idea about the wonderful things you do with your gnex once you unlock, root and really start having fun :)

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
just in my experience.. people who used rom's on the fascinate always comlained of hideous battery life or other issues, I have a rom on mine now and its mostly functional but alot of apps wouldnt work with it.

are there such thing as a non alpha/beta version of cyanogenmod or any rom?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
just in my experience.. people who used rom's on the fascinate always comlained of hideous battery life or other issues, I have a rom on mine now and its mostly functional but alot of apps wouldnt work with it.

are there such thing as a non alpha/beta version of cyanogenmod or any rom?

Many ROMs are full featured. CM9 won't be complete for a while yet. I'm on Th3ory's Trans3k ROM and I can tell you there are zero issues, every app works fine. The title of his thread says BETA but it is a complete working system. He built in some CM9 alpha features, some of which are just incomplete and will FC but some work really well, when you figure out which ones don't work you just avoid them.

EDIT: and many ROMs are working fantastic right now... I love th3ory roms so I tend to gravitate towards his work but you should definitely try others out as well... with this phone its so easy to restore a backup nandroid if your not satisfied with a rom, there's really no reason not to experiment :)