Galaxy Nexus won't transfer mkv video files???

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just ran into the same problem today... I cannot transfer over a 1.8GB mkv file... all other files I have transferred have been fine though.

Another WORKAROUND... rename/remove the *.mkv, transfer over, then rename the file on the Nexus.

Last edited:

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I usually share a folder on my pc and then use ES File Explorer to access the network share over wifi and copy the files over. Maybe this option would work for you also.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Awesome..so some of you have gotten files over 4gb on there? I thought it was like a FAT32 harddrive, or an sd card where it can't handle over 4gb. I'll have to try it when I get home. Thanks!

edit: sorry for those of you having issues. i just used the drag and drop method using my regular charging cable...windows vista

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I just ran into the same problem today... I cannot transfer over a 1.8GB mkv file... all other files I have transferred have been fine though.

Another WORKAROUND... rename/remove the *.mkv, transfer over, then rename the file on the Nexus.
Ya, that's probably the best solution so far...

Rename/Delete the ".mkv" on the file and then re-enter the ".mkv" when it's on the Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks!

Last edited:

GlaZZ

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S and using Windows 7, so I just change .mkv to .avi, and they work fine. No need to change it back on the phone.

guts311

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S and using Windows 7, so I just change .mkv to .avi, and they work fine. No need to change it back on the phone.

That doesn't work at all here via AirDroid or via USB/MTP transfer.

I can't believe no one has figured this out yet...isn't there a way????

cartoonhomicide

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So turns out each device has a certain amount of files it will let you transfer before it locks up. So some people will just move one or two files until they see any issues others get hundreds...

here is what i have found works like a champ.
If when you plug your device into your pc and it is in MTP mode then select the option to sync witb windows media player in the pop up window that shows up. If it does not give you that option then choose more options and scroll down to galaxy nexus and use the drop down menu next to it to select sync with windows media player. I have tested music pictures and videos and all sync perfectly. This must be done in reverse also for moving files back to your computer or you can simply put the device in camera mode after you plug it in to your pc and select transfer pictures or videos
If your trying to push non media files then the old drag and drop method directly into the galaxy nexus internal storage folders works fine...
I was glad that i figured this out in order to accomplish my own tranfers i needed but irritating that i feel like i am using a ios device that has to run through itunes.

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
So turns out each device has a certain amount of files it will let you transfer before it locks up. So some people will just move one or two files until they see any issues others get hundreds...

here is what i have found works like a champ.
If when you plug your device into your pc and it is in MTP mode then select the option to sync witb windows media player in the pop up window that shows up. If it does not give you that option then choose more options and scroll down to galaxy nexus and use the drop down menu next to it to select sync with windows media player. I have tested music pictures and videos and all sync perfectly. This must be done in reverse also for moving files back to your computer or you can simply put the device in camera mode after you plug it in to your pc and select transfer pictures or videos
If your trying to push non media files then the old drag and drop method directly into the galaxy nexus internal storage folders works fine...
I was glad that i figured this out in order to accomplish my own tranfers i needed but irritating that i feel like i am using a ios device that has to run through itunes.
I don't have any problem transfer any amount of any other file, except for .mkv files.

Have you tried transferring a .mkv file on the Galaxy Nexus???

ghan66

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Howdy all, I have the Galaxy Nexus and also cannot copy .mkv files, however, I have been able to cut and paste them to the Nexus, no issue so far with any other files, I am using Win7 x64.
Hope this helps someone!

ghan66

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Howdy again, If you are using the Shark 007 Codec Pack in Win7 x64, open the Settings Application x64 file (Run as Administrator) and go to the MKV Tab, then Tick the Disable the DivX Media Foundation splitter. The DivX MF splitter will do the thumbnailing when enabled box and this will allow you to copy and paste or send to the Nexus. Tested and working well.
Hope this also helps!

regbs

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
One work around is deleting the extension then adding it back after the copy.

With Jelly Bean, I ran into this problem with mp4 and even jpg.

Last edited:

tanct48

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
The easiest and most effective method to transfer MKV's would be to archive them into a zip file using Winrar. After that download zarchiver from Google Play and extract them Via your phone using that application. :) Best solution for me so far saves me both time and trouble.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
the problem is with the divx program. it's causing these issues. solution is to either uninstall divx or simply rename the mkv extensions to whatever and copy away

lafemmecompex

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
thanks very much for the info :)
had exactly the same issue, could transfer every file EXCEPT .mkv between my windows pc and my nexus 7.
tried everything from renaming the files to a whole heap of file managers.
nothing worked, internet explorer bugged out every time i tried, got extremely frustrated.
then read your post.
couldnt believe something as simple as cut and paste would work when drag and drop didnt.
but it is that simple.
it does work
plus .mkv files transfer very quickly and take up minimal space (16 episodes of supernatural, LESS than 2gb - brilliant!!)

dont i feel like a proper numpty for not thinking of this myself and trying it sooner.
am now a much happier nexus 7 user :)
cheers.

pyzro

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this has been resolved or not. I came across this recently.

I went into event viewer for the system, (Event Viewer>Windows Logs>Application) and it showed me this:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: DivXMFSource.dll, version: 1.0.0.72, time stamp: 0x4cffcff8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000e5ec6
Faulting process id: 0x984
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0d8be1b55382
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\DivX\DivX Plus Media Foundation Components\DivXMFSource.dll

I Uninstalled DivX, and the issue went away. I was able to copy mkv files without issue

gekkomonster

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this answer I just got a Nexus4 and tried to copy some .mkv s across and explorer kept crashing as well. I uninstalled DivX and it worked straight away ( after a restart of course)
GKM

Kevin Townsley

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Easiest fix I've had for this is the WinRAR path. Just compress the files using winrar, transfer them, and then unpack them with androzip. Then I use moboplayer to play the .mkv files.

iPhones S D.

Twigy Alien

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It really works!! I delete my DIVX file (because I can't uninstall it) and right away I can copy MKV file (even without restarting)
thank you sooo much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez