Music Distortion on GN?

klutch.SuLLy

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen this posted yet, but I've found that on select songs I have on my Galaxy Nexus, when the screen is locked (dark/off), they become distorted (static/stutterting).

When I turn the phone on again, it becomes clear.
I'm using the stock music player and transferred music from iTunes using iSyncr.

Has anyone else noticed this at all?

darthviper107

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue---it's not all the time, just sometimes. It happens on both the Music player and with Pandora. When the screen is on it's fine, but when it's off there's crackling and popping. It goes away on its own after a little bit though.

ribtits

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
how bad is this problem? because I will be using my galaxy nexus as my main mp3 player instead of my ipod touch. This might actually be the deal breaker for me :( . I don't mind the signal issues/battery life issues that people seem to have because those might be able to be fixed. But this issue with the music sounds like a hardware problem....the quality of my music is very important as I already invested some money in expensive headphones. Those headphones will have gone to waste if there's this distortion.

Is this problem very prevalent? and do you think it can be fixed through software??

darthviper107

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a software issue.

As far as how often it happens, I've had it happen 3 times, in 6 days, with using it every day and listening to music all during work. So it's not often enough to be a big issue, but it is annoying when it happens. It only happens for a few minutes though and then goes away.

ribtits

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a software issue.

As far as how often it happens, I've had it happen 3 times, in 6 days, with using it every day and listening to music all during work. So it's not often enough to be a big issue, but it is annoying when it happens. It only happens for a few minutes though and then goes away.

hopefully it is a software issue. thanks for the assurance :)

_zion

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
hopefully it is a software issue. thanks for the assurance :)
If it can work fine with the screen on, it's fair to assume it's a software issue (I second what he said). I have an HP TouchPad with CM7 installed, and music gets distorted when screen off in the same manner, and it's definitely a software issue.

That sucks there is this bug though, as I'm going to get a GNex and will use it as my music player!

carrot

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've never had this issue after a couple of weeks with lots of music listening. But I've mostly been using Spotify and mSpot (rather than the stock player, though I've used that too). And I've got the GSM Galaxy Nexus; are those having this issue using the Verizon version?

jrenner

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had this problem on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The sound is coming through crisp and clear.
It seems like this issue could be solved by just installing a kernel that ups the clock speed a bit when the screen is off and playing music. If this isn't an option for you, rest assured it'll probably be fixed rather quickly assuming i'm right

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok I had this problem on my epic. It had to do with how the processers minimum clock frequency couldn't handle the music. If any of you are rooted, try to raise the minimum frequency 100 MHz higher. Tell me how it goes

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Turning off your screen is going to choke the phone's power consumption. Any audio device will use an OPAMP to drive sound to your headphones, speaker, etc. The OPAMP will get less juice because of the screen being off and as a result it will have less power. OPAMPs love juice and the more they get the more clear/clean the output signal at max volume. That's how amplifiers work without software. When you take software into account be aware that they have a Signal:Noise detection algorithms which will detect noise from the OPAMP and eliminate it in post-processing. This is something that can be solved with software, is caused by hardware, but is a shortcoming of the powersaving features of the phone. The limitation of OPAMPs are of engineering and really OPAMPs have not gone extremely far in the last 15 years. People will often replace headphone driver OPAMPs in brand new headphone amps with a TL076, a dated but high end opamp, or a slew of other ICs available in the early 90s.

jwsnj3rd

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted this phone now I'm having second thoughts seems like there having issues with it maybe ill wait to see if there's an update to fix these bugs

schriss

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted this phone now I'm having second thoughts seems like there having issues with it maybe ill wait to see if there's an update to fix these bugs

First time I hear about this issue. But then, I'm not using stock player and I'm not overclocking and or undervolting my Nexus. Running at stock speeds.
Using ojne app for Internet Radio and PowerAMP for music - it's just working great. My earbuds are good quality, (80 Euro on eBay) and equalizer is set to deliver better low frequency base - it's brilliant.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I was going to do a little adjusting on my family plan in order to get a Nexus but as with any new device with a new OS, there are a few things popping up that will keep me from just jumping on it right now. My Droid Charge is working smoother since the Gingerbread update and as much as I'd like to try a pure Google experience, I'm going to take my time on this decision and wait for my normal upgrade in April. I'm a communications tech for a large chip maker and we work closely with VZW, ATT & Tmobile techs to provide coverage in our buildings. They are of the opinion that the RF sections of Samsung phones are the worst, while LG's radios are some of the best, with Motorola somewhere in the middle. Most of them used LG devices as there coverage test units. I've always been of the opinion that Motorola products have always been pretty solid in build and in operations but they tend to lack features and buzz. Samsung phones tend to pack in features and have the buzz factor at the expense of build quality. That being said, I own a Samsung Droid Charge so that I could secure the unlimited 4G data plan before it dissolved so of the 3 available, the Charge seemed the best of the bunch. Remember the Bionic had not been released yet. I'm no developer, just a user and communication support for my company but I've also been working on cell phones for Motorola since 86'. Summary, I want a bloat free device but concerned about the quality of the Nexus now. The reports of the poor RF quality, coupled with the issues I've had with my Charge then adding on the Samsung and Verizon responses regarding what they are doing to correct the 'look' of the signal bars, are just concerning enough to tell me to chill out on it and not get in too much of a hurry. I'm not waiting for the next big thing, I'm waiting for a device that feels a bit more solid because I have something that is doing alright. It may end up being the Nexus if they fix some things. We'll see.

Last edited:

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Just don't use the stock music app. I use Amazon MP3 and I have not experienced this (and I've listened to HOURS of music with the screen off).

bigdmc3

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure it's just a music player issue because the same thing happens to me while streaming radio using cbs radio app for philly sports talk. All audio is def. on the quiet side with this phone but soon as screen darkens the audio breaks up and starts cracking and popping.

Turbod

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't happen for every song or album, which I find odd. But it is easily repeatable when you find one that does it. For example, one of my Kid Rock albums does it every time, but Def Leopard does not. Not an album problem because they worked great on DX. I have tried high quality and low in settings, with or without power plug, headphones and speaker, even cleared data and reloaded, no change. I'm hoping if its just a low frequency issue, they could just prevent sleep mode when using Music.

tylerdegraaf

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It only occurs when playing 320 kbps mp3 files. It also has the issue on occasion with variable bit rate tracks. Try playing 320 kbps files and you will see the problem replicated. Most tracks are probably 128kbps and you will not experience the clipping of audio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34