Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    BringMeBack9801's Avatar

    Posts
    55 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    How much free RAM do you generally have?

    I'm asking because I've been getting into this habit of constantly checking my running applications to see how much free memory I have, and I've been concerned because I compared it to a friend's GS II, who is running several widgets simultaneously, and he seems to have a lot more free memory than I do (a few hundred extra MBs). I realize Android is pretty efficient at managing memory, cache, etc., but I'm just curious to see what others are experiencing.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    I only have 1 widget (Digital Clock) running and I have ~250MB free. Hope this helps.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    I have 410 and 6 widgets
  4. #4  

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    Fancy Widgets digital clock/weather display & the stock calendar app are the only widgets I have running.

    276MB free.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    Quote Originally Posted by BringMeBack9801 View Post
    How much free RAM do you generally have?

    I'm asking because I've been getting into this habit of constantly checking my running applications to see how much free memory I have, and I've been concerned because I compared it to a friend's GS II, who is running several widgets simultaneously, and he seems to have a lot more free memory than I do (a few hundred extra MBs). I realize Android is pretty efficient at managing memory, cache, etc., but I'm just curious to see what others are experiencing.
    is your phone lagging or something? why are you checking your ram so often? I havent checked mine once..
  6. #6  

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    with the way android works it ram usage is different i read an article about it a long time ago and from what i remember, it uses a priority system so it doesnt matter how many programs your running it will still use the ram it needs. so things like task killer dont really make your phone faster or help at all

    http://lifehacker.com/5650894/androi...uldnt-use-them
    my youtube channel
    [HL]http://www.youtube.com/brettski900[/HL]
  7. #7  
    rdearth53's Avatar

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

    Default

    I only use the stock power control widget to help manage my battery life, and I have ~375 mob of free ram.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    Quote Originally Posted by DrPancake View Post
    with the way android works it ram usage is different i read an article about it a long time ago and from what i remember, it uses a priority system so it doesnt matter how many programs your running it will still use the ram it needs. so things like task killer dont really make your phone faster or help at all

    Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
    +1

    Dont worry about memory unless you have an issue. And "low" memory is not an issue.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    I have the Facebook widget, Gmail, Android Agenda Widget, HD Widgets clock, the photo gallery widget, Engadget, and the power control bar. ~275MB free.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    Just out of curiosity; I've heard that widgets obviously have some effect on phone performance (I've heard it range from battery life, to RAM, etc.), but I'm wondering, do "shortcuts" have any such effect? The only reason I ask is, I just downloaded and used Desktop Visualizer to create shortcuts to my apps on my home screens, basically so I could assign them the icons I want them to be (rather than the stock icons) without having to use a different launcher. So, does having a bunch of shortcuts on my home screens make any kind of impact?

    I'd think it wouldn't, right? I mean, when you drag an icon from your app drawer to the home screen, isn't that basically the same kind of "shortcut" (just done via stock)?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    BringMeBack9801's Avatar

    Posts
    55 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    is your phone lagging or something? why are you checking your ram so often? I havent checked mine once..
    I have lag in the app drawer but I've been told it's "normal" and not to worry about it. Settings is taking up quite a bit of memory, too, so I realize it's probably not helping free up any RAM by checking so much, but I was pretty surprised with my friend's GS II having over 450 MBs free while running so many widgets.

Posting Permissions