Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Nexus is not charging

Hello
    Last night I purchased my Galaxy Nexus and used it for a while. Before I went to sleep I plugged it in and it showed it was charging. When I woke up today I only had 36% battery (I started with 24%) and it did not show that the battery was charging. I tried 10 different outlets with no results, 3 different cables, and plugged it directly into 2 computers. Im not sure what the problem is hopefuly someone on the forum can help me!

Thank You!
    Jake

Also I rooted it last night so i am not sure if that would be a cause, i have rooted my past 2 android phones and never came across this.

Default Re: Galaxy Nexus is not charging

Afraid I can't answer your question - but the Nexus I received from Amazon would not charge either. Wouldn't even turn on. While rooting is probably what caused your issue, I wonder if there isn't a fragile component in these phones somewhere. I find it odd it would leave the factory, approved, and arrive DOA. Did you happen to drop it last night?

ROM

I would take it a VZW store, and have them swap the battery. It could be something as innocuous as a defective battery (not like that has never happened before, lol).

Eliminate the obvious, first, then proceed from there...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Sounds like you may need to get a replacement because of your issue and I highly doubt that rooting caused this. I'm thinking its an internal hardware issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Edit - check for kernel info
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

My first nexus did that wouldn't charge I rooted and unlocked woke next morning battery dead put in my extended battery it died wouldn't charge I took it to vzw first thing they asked me is where I bought it. Luckily I bought at corporate store so no hassle they tried different plugs batteries finally just swapped my phone. I was a little Leary since it was rooted and unlocked and my info was in it. Any way this nexus is rock solid

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by JoeUserTX View Post
    I would take it a VZW store, and have them swap the battery. It could be something as innocuous as a defective battery (not like that has never happened before, lol).

Eliminate the obvious, first, then proceed from there...
    Good thing it is a Nexus and not a Razr, or iPhone.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Once I noticed my nexus would not charge. I rebooted with the app Quick Boot and then it charged fine - give it a whirl!

Quote Originally Posted by mozy View Post
    Once I noticed my nexus would not charge. I rebooted with the app Quick Boot and then it charged fine - give it a whirl!
    My girlfriend's wouldn't charge for anything. After a quick reboot, it charged just fine.

Default Solution for Galaxy Nexus is not charging

I finally found a way to fix this after my 2nd Galaxy Nexus in 2 months wouldn't charge (Verizon replaced the first one because of this issue, then I figured they wouldn't be so generous the second time around).

The charger may appear to insert fine into the female micro USB port, but the "lightning bolt" won't appear to show it is charging if the "tongue" inside the female receptor (a flat metal bar the length of a piece of rice) is bent. This bar should be exactly in the middle of the receptor. If it is pressed down even a little bit, the charger will insert smoothly but it won't connect and charge.

Here is what you do:
    1) remove the battery (for safety)
    2) insert a small object (flathead jewelers screwdriver or a small nail) below the metal bar and gently push it up
    3) reinsert the battery and it should charge

Be careful you don't break the bar or you'll void your warranty. When my first Galaxy Nexus wouldn't charge, the Verizon store employees looked it over, couldn't figure out what the problem was, and authorized a new phone. That's probably your best bet the first time this happens.
    Thanked by 6:
    KevinKato likes this.

Default Re: Solution for Galaxy Nexus is not charging

This worked for me! Thanks Annalisa2!

Quote Originally Posted by annalisa2 View Post
    I finally found a way to fix this after my 2nd Galaxy Nexus in 2 months wouldn't charge (Verizon replaced the first one because of this issue, then I figured they wouldn't be so generous the second time around).

The charger may appear to insert fine into the female micro USB port, but the "lightning bolt" won't appear to show it is charging if the "tongue" inside the female receptor (a flat metal bar the length of a piece of rice) is bent. This bar should be exactly in the middle of the receptor. If it is pressed down even a little bit, the charger will insert smoothly but it won't connect and charge.

Here is what you do:
    2) insert a small object (flathead jewelers screwdriver or a small nail) below the metal bar and gently push it up

Be careful you don't break the bar or you'll void your warranty. When my first Galaxy Nexus wouldn't charge, the Verizon store employees looked it over, couldn't figure out what the problem was, and authorized a new phone. That's probably your best bet the first time this happens.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Ok I think I might have found a solution:

1. turn off sync, bluetooth, wifi, location services
    2. close all running apps which are not android system (e.g skype, whatsapp)
    3. plug in

This has worked reliably for me to charge to 100%.

This still sucks, having to do this. But at least I can now leave the house in the morning with a full charge lol

Sort it out someone - google... samsung... whoever... It's like having an aston martin with no petrol.

Had the same problem two days after i got my phone..Took the stock charger and phone to the store.. They found out my data cable had gone bad..How the hell it went bad in 2 days in anyones guess. They gave me a replacment universal charger.. Which kind've pissed me off. I brought them a stock charger,.i expected a stock charger in return.. Owell phone charges now just fine..

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ognelodhgm View Post
    Had the same problem two days after i got my phone..Took the stock charger and phone to the store.. They found out my data cable had gone bad..How the hell it went bad in 2 days in anyones guess. They gave me a replacment universal charger.. Which kind've pissed me off. I brought them a stock charger,.i expected a stock charger in return.. Owell phone charges now just fine..
    phone shops be phoney shops. your best friend before you sign then your worst nightmare. am surprised they even replaced the cable. Anyway. would be interested if my solution worked for anyone...

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Just happened to me. I was streaming a radio station via the TuneIn Radio app and noticed that my phone wasn't charging. I went to Settings / Battery and the message said "82% - Not Charging". I picked the phone up and it was very hot! Ah! I stopped TuneIn Radio and let the phone sit for 4 - 5 minutes. I then noticed that the message changed to "84% - Charging (AC)".

So, my issue was a hot battery. Why does TuneIn Radio cause the phone to get so hot?

Smile Re: Solution for Galaxy Nexus is not charging

Thank you very much Annalisa2, It worked like a charm!

Here is what you do:

Here is what you do:

Thanks for your explanation. Could you tell exactly where it is?. Could you attache a picture?, I'm not sure about where to touch with the screwdriver

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

have you tried a different charger? I did this with mine in my car and it worked perfectly. Sometimes the micro usb plugs get damaged.

Yes, i have. With 3 differents chargers. Thanks

ROM
    AOSPA 3.99/ Golden Kernel

In my experience LG chargers do not work. Motorola charger for OG droid works. HTC charger works. Samsung charger that came with the phone works.

funny this happened the other day with my OG droid charger being used on my Nexus.

the adapter part actually stopped working. the cord still charged via USB just not with the AC Adapter.

Thank you so much Annalisa2! I never would have seen that tiny tab in the micro USB slot of my phone without you telling me what to look for. That solved my problem. I am so happy to see my phone charging again and so relieved it was so easy to fix once I knew what was wrong.

Just saw this thread and the fix suggested. Took a look at the inside of my USB port, and it is indeed bent down! Since most of the chargers are pretty loose fitting, that would explain why it won't charge. Took a look at my USB cable too, and it is bent slightly, so if any weight was it on the cable it would have bent the connection point. All fixed and no need for any Verizon bs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by JHBThree; 07-22-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Worked for me, THANKS.

I used a very sharp knife and slid it slowly between the bottom of the contact and the base of the port and just gently moved it ever so slightly upwards.
    Worked a treat. Good post annalisa2..

Here is what you do:

thanks annalisa, worked like a charm! before it hardly regonize it, like 1 attempt of 20, no usb connection neither the regural ac charging. thanks again!!
    KevinKato likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast